SNL ABOY didn't deserve to be aired ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jick

Refugee
U2 were slated for 3 songs only so that's all they should play.

The 4th song wasn't intended for public viewing but for the fans in the studio. Had U2 intended it for public viewing then they should have played ABOY among the first three songs.

I read that after ABOY, U2 re-did Vertigo again. I think that U2 should have stopped after they did I Will Follow. They were contracted to play only 3 songs and only for the show. Anything in excess would be additional electricity expenses incurred for the studio, and a big logistical problem. Of course, since U2 has a "secret show" coming up, they were opportunistic enough to make the SNL studio as a mini-rehearsal for that secret show and their upcoming tour.

Do you guys really think U2 was giving them a concert? U2 rehearsed and prepared only the three songs. They ripped into ABOY to rehearse it for their upcoming secret show and tour next year. They re-did Vertigo because the SNL performance was bad and they wanted to rehearse and find out its quirks. I mean U2 has a catalogue of over 300 songs, so why choose to do Vertigo again? That's because they just wanted to practice it more.

The NBC studios incurred additional expenses when U2 played more songs (overtime pay for their staff, their crew; electricity expenses; etc. etc.) so why hope to burden NBC more by wishing they showed ABOY live? That's 4 minutes of advertising revenue they'd lose if it was played live. And U2's rehearsal was at NBC's expense. U2 surely saved a few dollars by getting to rehearse those two extra songs in NBC's studios instead of their own studios.

I commend U2 for doing such a brilliant business move. They save some money, they got to rehearse, and they looked like heroes playing to the tv audience and giving them a couple of "bonus" songs (unfortunately at NBC's expense).

So the short of this all is that ABOY didn't deserve to be aired and doesn't deserve to be put on the website or anywhere else.

Cheers,

J

this is really getting to me now... am fairly new here, but every post i see from jick has a negative spin on it, no matter what

U2 needing time off of SNL to rehearse? Sorry, jick, I'm usually with you on stuff but not this time.

What happened was that U2 saw everyone in the audience so excited that they did what they do best: please a crowd.

I find it very hard to believe that the biggest in the world feels the need to squeeze in songs at times that weren't spcifically deemed for rehearsal to remember them before their secret concerts.They are proffessionals, and if that weren't enough they are Grade A professionals.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you Jick. I mean, serioulsly, we were lucky enough for the show to air THREE songs from the band. That is so rare to begin with that it is just unnecessary for the reason Jick provided form ABOY to be shown. Plus, we've already gotten 2 live performances of ABOY BEFORE the album even drops. Let's not get too greedy.

jick said:

The 4th song wasn't intended for public viewing but for the fans in the studio. Had U2 intended it for public viewing then they should have played ABOY among the first three songs.

I read that after ABOY, U2 re-did Vertigo again. I think that U2 should have stopped after they did I Will Follow. They were contracted to play only 3 songs and only for the show. Anything in excess would be additional electricity expenses incurred for the studio, and a big logistical problem. Of course, since U2 has a "secret show" coming up, they were opportunistic enough to make the SNL studio as a mini-rehearsal for that secret show and their upcoming tour.

Do you guys really think U2 was giving them a concert? U2 rehearsed and prepared only the three songs. They ripped into ABOY to rehearse it for their upcoming secret show and tour next year. They re-did Vertigo because the SNL performance was bad and they wanted to rehearse and find out its quirks. I mean U2 has a catalogue of over 300 songs, so why choose to do Vertigo again? That's because they just wanted to practice it more.

The NBC studios incurred additional expenses when U2 played more songs (overtime pay for their staff, their crew; electricity expenses; etc. etc.) so why hope to burden NBC more by wishing they showed ABOY live? That's 4 minutes of advertising revenue they'd lose if it was played live. And U2's rehearsal was at NBC's expense. U2 surely saved a few dollars by getting to rehearse those two extra songs in NBC's studios instead of their own studios.

I commend U2 for doing such a brilliant business move. They save some money, they got to rehearse, and they looked like heroes playing to the tv audience and giving them a couple of "bonus" songs (unfortunately at NBC's expense).

So the short of this all is that ABOY didn't deserve to be aired and doesn't deserve to be put on the website or anywhere else.

Cheers,

J

Sadly, yes, that was the case. In fact, after the show, U2 ordered pizzas and let NBC pay the bill just to save some more dollars.

Oh and word is, they will be pulling a power line from NBC studios for their secret gig in NY, so that they don't spend anymore money on electricity.

Well, actually, the secret gig is going to be all tries of Vertigo so that they get it right for the 2005 tour, where they will actually make some money for playing to their fans..

I finally got into the spirit of your posting, jick, it's so easy to just go along.
Good work on this latest discovery

Last edited:
Whahaahahahaahaha! Just be glad that a band cares enough about their fans to play some extra songs... Good joke, this thread!

the crowd was awesome. yes, it did upset me when they cut it off, but we were only supposedd to get 2 songs and 3 was a special treat. it usually never happens on snl, ever.

yes,
KUEFC09U2, jick is almost always negative.

If I read right, there was a mystery 6th song played, too: Vertigo, I will follow, Sometimes... All because of you, Vertigo again and yet unindentified song. See U2Tour section.

jick, is it like a goal of yours to see how many people you can get a rise out of?

This is NBC Universal... a small wing of GENERAL ELECTRIC COMPANY. This is big business driven by giant bottom lines. U2 are bigger stars than the rest of the cast combined, and this is sweeps week. U2 was the only redemptive factor to last nights show. If the only "thankyou" u2 gets from NBC is a few kilowatts of electricity, nobody will care. This is like the corporate "have a penny, give a penny; need a penny, take a penny" jar. NBC is NOT sweating the loss of electricity.

SNL has an afterparty anyway. What better entertainment for it. Plus, U2's management probably got the go ahead for it all.

PS... i am aware GE does not supply NYC with power. point is they are a corporate giant with bigger fish to fry.

jick, is it like a goal of yours to see how many people you can get a rise out of?

This guy has been a troll for at least 5 years. Its amazing someone has so little else to do in their life than troll...

wow, you guys are ideots. If you haven't caught on to Jick's sense of humor by now then you never will.

It's easy to dismiss J's trolling as harmless humor, but newer, impressionable fans on here might actually take his crap seriously.

What's even worse it that he often drops his little firecrackers and then runs away, failing to follow up or discuss the B.S. that he's unloaded. That's the mark of a true troll.

I don't know what the banning rules cover in terms of trolling, but just because the guy makes good points once in a blue moon shouldn't excuse him for blatantly trying to stir things up. It's sad, really.

On Wire he led a crusade against POP, misquoting the band or taking quotes out of context to prove his outlandish claims. When called on it he would promptly move on to something else.

It would be nice if people didn't feed the flame by replying in a positive manner or just laughing at off. He should be persecuted heavily and ridiculed for his lowlife tactics by anyone who really cares about the band. It's okay not to like certain songs/albums/etc., but waging vendettas against Adam based on misquoting, or trying to "prove" that U2 is disappointed by POP, or taking advantage of a captive audience and network for personal gain is just out of control.

Take him down.

laz

jick said:

Oh, so that's why the cast members were jumping up and down and the audience was hooting it up and and why all the women were crying.....because they were all thinking about the electricity bill. Jick, honestly you are reaching....

U2 brought the place down and everyone was loving it...how souped would you be to go somewhere thinking you'd only hear three songs and then have them rip into a total of six? Gimme a freakin' break...a big conspiracy to save on studio electricity costs my arse :rolleyes:

:eyebrow:

I try so hard to agree with/stand up for/ or at least accept Jick's posts and comments...but man...he has my work cut out for me, lol, it's getting just plain difficult to read his posts!

Enjoy the album Jick!
cheers!

Why are there negative remarks about this ?

NBC & SNL + U2 = RATINGS!

Personally I was floored with them playing I Will Follow and I didn't mind the fact they did 2 more songs except I didnt get to see them :( I honestly think the unknown song was prob something from ATYCLB

Excuse me, im a little confused...
are you a fan or what?
For someone who has soo much information, you must be, or a privledged insider.
Either way you are coming off way negitive.
Who gives a shit whether they went over, i think NBC can handle the costs.
Did you see the looks on the faces of those people, it was pure joy, happiness and fulfillment.
Not too many people experience that, i am really happy for them.
Some things have no price limits, no dollar amounts and no cost caps.
Some things are priceless.

jick said:

Cheers,

J

Perhaps we Interferencers should not just petition NBC to air ABOY in one form or another (perhaps during reruns), but we should start a fund drive here.

The contributions we receive will be paid off to NBC for two purposes: 1. to pay for the advertising TV revenues that would have been sorely lost; and, 2. to pay for the electricity and manpower expenses for the extra 3 1/2 minutes U2 consumed in playing ABOY.

You can't ask NBC anything for free. When you ask for them to air ABOY, you should always have a counter-proposal in mind so that they will be more receptive to your ideas. I think with my fool-proof fund drive, they will be more considerate to our requests.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Perhaps we Interferencers should not just petition NBC to air ABOY in one form or another (perhaps during reruns), but we should start a fund drive here.

The contributions we receive will be paid off to NBC for two purposes: 1. to pay for the advertising TV revenues that would have been sorely lost; and, 2. to pay for the electricity and manpower expenses for the extra 3 1/2 minutes U2 consumed in playing ABOY.

You can't ask NBC anything for free. When you ask for them to air ABOY, you should always have a counter-proposal in mind so that they will be more receptive to your ideas. I think with my fool-proof fund drive, they will be more considerate to our requests.

Cheers,

J

O..........M...........G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom