Snippet of My Hometown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ifeelnumb84

War Child
I was looking at some setlists and noticed that My Hometown by Springsteen was listed as a snippet during Electric Co during a 1983 Boston show.
However, I have heard this particular version, and all Bono says is "this is my hometown!" right before Edge solos.
I'm sorry, but that has NOTHING to do with Springsteen. Furthermore, was that song even around in 1983?
So yeah, some snippets aren't always accurate.

According to Wikipedia, "My Hometown" came ou on "Born in the USA," in 1984, just a little too late for the Boss's best song (IMO) to be snippeted anywhere in 1983.

That show has always puzzled me, especially when Bono announces "it's always nice to play to a home crowd" yadda yadda...

Well, Boston is a somewhat special place for U2. It is the first city in America where they did an encore....as an opening act no less (the headlining act got no encore), at the Paradise Club (referenced during I Will Follow on the DVD).
Upon their return to that club in early 1981, they were forced to do two shows, but only had one night scheduled for Boston. So they did two shows that night, the first of which is on the Complete U2 iPod collection.
So that might be why Bono felt at home that night in '83.

u2thewho said:
According to Wikipedia, "My Hometown" came ou on "Born in the USA," in 1984, just a little too late for the Boss's best song (IMO) to be snippeted anywhere in 1983.

Hah. Well, I've just removed the snippet from U2VT. Not sure if any other websites are reporting it.

In my defence, at least I can say I did not add this snippet to U2VT in the first place. :wink:

(If anyone else spots any errors, please, point them out. Accuracy is a good thing!)

gareth brown said:
That show has always puzzled me, especially when Bono announces "it's always nice to play to a home crowd" yadda yadda...

The Irish are one of the larger ethnic groups in the city of Boston, and sometimes considered the capital of "Irish America".

pepokiss said:
I do have U2 PLAYING My Hometown...

That's from 29 June 1985, Dublin. Incidentally, that's the first time they played Croke Park.

Back
Top Bottom