Smile appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neenie

War Child
I love this song. There's probably already been discussion on it, but by now it would've grown on people more. I'm really addicted to smile right now after many listens over again. My favorite part and I don't know what the real lyrics are "Say it again, burnt out blind the smoke machine is yours not mine" as quoted from u2wanderer. But @u2 quotes the lyrics as "You’re singing again Come back blind the stuck machine is yours not mine" the whole song lyrics are completely different on both sources. Does anyone knows which one is correct? or what the song is about?

Thank you

really good song. Should have been on the bomb, although added to it. I like all the tracks on the record.

Smile has to be one of my favourite U2 songs. Such an awesome track. Definitely should have been on HTDAAB or kept for the next album.

I actually thought those lyrics were "say it again but I'm blind, this smoke machine is yours not mine". I'll generally take U2Wanderer.org as being accurate, though ... they do the best work on the web. I've found @U2.com to be not nearly as accurate.

Axver said:
I actually thought those lyrics were "say it again but I'm blind, this smoke machine is yours not mine". I'll generally take U2Wanderer.org as being accurate, though ... they do the best work on the web. I've found @U2.com to be not nearly as accurate.
Thanks Axver, I was thinking it was "say it again but I'm blind" but couldn't tell the rest. But yeah, it’s a great song that should’ve been on the album. I'll keep Wanderer.org as my main resource now on.
neutral said:
Hmmm. Well I didn't care for it when I first heard it but it's been awhile. I think I'll give it another shot now. :hmm:
Yes give it more listens, It's a grower :yes:

I like line "I need a ground to kneel upon"... and also the smoke machine :D
I liked Smile when the box set came out and I love it now.

I like Smile a lot...but I have to admit the lyrics baffle me. Anybody know what this song is supposed to be about?

It is one of my favourites too and I listen to it a lot. I agree it is "say it again but I'm blind, this smoke machine is yours not mine".

I don't think there really is an interpretation. Bono was quoted as saying that some ideas come too late in a recording session, and Smile is one of them. That would explain why the lyrics aren't that cohesive.

Mercy and Smile have to be two of their best songs...there's an incredible atmosphere in those songs, especially towards the end. I will again, You will again!

Mercy and Smile are both fantastic! quite AB-ish. Perhaps they will both be on the next album if its bashed out quick,

I agree

Brian Wilsons smile album is perfect :wink: :shifty:

Ohh, and U2s smile is excellent too :wink: :wink:

Last edited:
Smile is wonderful. This song melts me.

By the way, it's good to be back on Interference, for some reason I just haven't felt the need to come here or even listen to much music the past week or so. There's just so much stress in my life lately, but if there's anything that can alleviate that it's U2 and you guys.:wave:

I've got all the other tracks from the "Rare & Unreleased", EXCEPT "Smile"....it's the only one I'm missing. I've been trying to find it for weeks, but can never seem to get it. Can anyone send me a link to it or something? I'm dying to hear it, especially after all these good comments about it!!!

Thanks for your help,

mmbutler@midsouth.rr.com

I haven't heard 'Smile' yet, and my computer crashed a couple weeks ago and I lost with it my copy of Mercy.

Is there anyway someone could get a ysi.com up for these?

Smile.

no links to copyright tracks please - neutral

Last edited by a moderator:
The link isn't working for me. I fixed what appears to be a double period after "s51", but it still says "The requested URL /d.aspx was not found on this server."

Am I doing something wrong? Please help!

You need to add the words y o u s e n d i t (without the spaces) in between the two periods.

YES!!! Thank you SO much for providing the link!! WOOHOOO!! Now I've got to go listen!

Back
Top Bottom