Slide Away is such a great song, don´t you think? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2001, 10:32 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 07:29 PM
Slide Away is such a great song, don´t you think?

I have been listening to Slide Away a lot lately, the song Bono recorded with his friend Michael Hutchence, from Hutchence's posthomous solo album. I love it, really love it, both are great singers, well Hutchence was a great singer. I wish they had the opportunity to sing together more often...but it´s all over now, Michael Hutchence has left the planet.

What do you think Bono may feel when he listens to Slide Away? The part he sings is very meaningful, thinking of what happened to his friend, don´t you think? I would like to know what are your thoughts and feelings about the song. Here are the verses that Bono sings:

I wanted to let it go
I just couldn't let it go
I wanted to let it go
I just couldn't let you go

I would catch you
I'd catch you as you fall
I would catch you
I'd catch you if I heard your call

But you tore a hole in space like a dark star falls from grace
You burn across the sky and I'd find you wings to fly
And I would catch you
And I would catch your fall

I just want to slide away and come alive again
I will see that love again and find that life again

------------------
Seu país é lindo. Seu povo é lindo. Suas vozes são lindas. Não esqueceremos vocês. - Bono - São Paulo - 01/31/1998

Old 10-23-2001, 10:41 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 05:29 PM
Damn good song.

Old 10-23-2001, 10:44 PM   #3
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

OH yes! I love that song a LOT. It's so beautiful, so heartfelt, and so eerie knowing that he committed suicide.

Bono's vocals work so utterly well. I often think the song would work even better with a bit of a rearrangement though..
Old 10-23-2001, 11:12 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 03:29 PM
This song is so intense, I put it on full blast and it just gets me every time!

And I would catch you

love those lyrics
Michael Hutchence was my 2nd love after Bono, I really enjoyed INXS and Michael.
So sad

Old 10-23-2001, 11:12 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:29 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I haven't listened to that song in soooooo long! I'm glad you reminded me of it!

------------------
"I'm gonna start a day care!"-Bono
Old 10-23-2001, 11:16 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:29 AM
That song always meant so much to me becuase I was/am a Huge Michael Hutchence fan.
The fact that is was sucha heart wrenching and gorgeous song makes it that much more special.
All fo Bono's part especially is just beautiful but this always killed me..

And I would catch you

Magical...

Old 10-23-2001, 11:55 PM   #7
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Those lines are beautiful indeed! Almost makes me want to paint them
Old 10-24-2001, 01:01 AM   #8
War Child

Local Time: 10:29 PM
I completely love that song, that's all I have to say.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian
Old 10-24-2001, 05:18 AM   #9
War Child

And apparently Bono's part was almost entirely ad lib, off the top of his head, and done in one take.
I love it when Bono's voice sounds like that, like it's kinda coming through smoke or something? You dig?
Old 10-24-2001, 11:10 AM   #10
Refugee

Thanks for your thoughts guys, I knew you had good taste

Okay, I have something in mind, and I´ll try to express it with this poor english of mine (and don´t say it´s not, LOL). It´s about the lyrics of Slide Away and Stuck in Moment. Can you see a parallel between both songs, as if Stuck were something like an answer to Hutchence´s plea (I´m assuming it was him wrote the lyrics of Slide Away)? I won´t pick up any of the verses, I´m talking about the whole lyrics of Stuck, knowing that Bono wrote it for him. Just another crazy thought of this freak here, LOL

------------------
Seu país é lindo. Seu povo é lindo. Suas vozes são lindas. Não esqueceremos vocês. - Bono - São Paulo - 01/31/1998
Old 10-24-2001, 11:17 AM   #11
The Fly

Eeeep! I thought you were talking about the Oasis song of the same name, which is also good. I will have to check out this other "Slide Away"...

------------------
boom cha, boom cha.................discotheque!
Old 10-24-2001, 07:51 PM   #12
Forum Moderator
The Goal Is Soul

Local Time: 02:29 PM
And I would catch you
And I would catch your fall.

I love this verse Maria...the sad thing about this song is that it can no longer be for Hutch..he is gone...this is a song for the living. Don't let relationships slide away...fight for the only thing that matters in this life.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 10-24-2001).]
Old 10-24-2001, 08:01 PM   #13
Acrobat

Local Time: 04:29 PM
"Slide Away" could possibly be my favourite song of all-time. The music flows perfectly and it has the union of the 2 of the most incredible voices ever heard. It is a shame the song came together like it did, but instead of thinking it is a morbid farewell - I believe it is a haunting tribute to an amazing talent. Also the fact that Bono did it off the top of his head was beautiful. I have to totally agree with TylerDurden with his comment about Bono's voice seeming to come "out of smoke". His voice is so crisp, so pure, and so beatiful. And the way they have the "Wanted to let it Go" echo in the backround, incredible.

I think that they should release "Slide Away" on some single just so other U2 fans can hear what an amazing song it is and how great Michael Hutchence was. His solo album is one of the best albums I've heard ever and everytime I listen to it - I love it even more.

~Zoo~

------------------
" They had the Vision, but we had the Television " - The Edge

" What Can I give back to God for the blessings he poured out ? "
Old 10-24-2001, 09:43 PM   #14
Acrobat

I too thought you were talking of Slide Away from Oasis, which is one of their best songs ever.

Strangely enough, I have never heard the Bono/ Hutchence Slide Away......

------------------
You Just Can't Get Enough Of That Lovey Dovey Stuff...
Old 10-25-2001, 11:30 AM   #15
Refugee

Okay, call me obsessed...that´s what I am LOL...when it comes to a marvellous song like Slide Away.
After having listened to the song so many times these days, I got curious...does anybody here know the "story" of this song? When it was recorded? Who wrote the lyrics? Michael? Bono? Both? And what about the comparison with the lyrics of Stuck?
I remember having read that Slide Away was finished after Michael Hutchence died...but I´m not sure. I found not enough info in the booklet...and I don´t have time to dig on the net now.
Maybe the Aussie fellows can enlighten me, can´t you?
Thanks

------------------

[This message has been edited by follower (edited 10-25-2001).]
Old 10-25-2001, 12:41 PM   #16
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2SJ:

Michael Hutchence was my 2nd love after Bono, I really enjoyed INXS and Michael.
So sad

I never cared much about music when I was really young, but I always liked INXS. Michael Hutchence was my first rock star crush. I was devastated by his passing.

I love that song...the whole CD is so eerie for me to listen to...it breaks my heart...I miss him...does anybody else have Michael Hutchence's CD that that is from?

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."
Old 10-25-2001, 01:33 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 03:29 PM
Yes, BonoChick, I have his solo album too, and I actually listened to it last night!
I played (at full volume) Slide Away like 5 times in a row, til my neighbor started to bang on our connecting wall! Such intensity in Bono's voice....
I miss Michael too, he was very sexy and slinked around the stage like Bono, I'm just glad I got to see INXS once.
Old 10-25-2001, 01:39 PM   #18
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2SJ:
I'm just glad I got to see INXS once.
Lucky.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."
Old 10-25-2001, 07:44 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:29 AM
follower...

Bono had promised Michael he would do a song with him on his solo album. Bono never got around to it and Michael had started to write Slide Away- the parts that he sings are all he had done.
Then Michael passed away with the song unfinished and no collaboration with Bono. Bono then took on the song and added all the parts that he sings which fit in beautifully.
That was the saddest part of all..that Michael never heard what Bono did with the song. He never knew how beautiful his song was or how it would affect so many people. You think U2 fans love it, imagine what INXS fans think of it.

Knowing all that and that yes, as Tyler said, Bono ad libbed a lot of it, makes it all the more tragic.
Such a gorgeous and special song...
Old 10-25-2001, 08:59 PM   #20
Refugee

Amanda, thank you so much for all the info you provided. What a sad story indeed...and it explains why Bono´s interpretation was so poignant, imagine the way he might be feeling when he sang his part. I thought that they had recorded it together. Now I understand.

My fave INXS song is Not Enough Time, I remember I was crazy about this song and also the video...1992, a long time ago.

For those who might be interested, I highly recommend the article of Rolling Stone magazine, issue 860, January 2001, that one with U2 on the cover. During most of the interview Bono talks about him and Michael Huthence, and also he explains what Stuck is about. I feel really touched by this sentence:
"If he had lasted an hour longer", Bono says of Michael Hutchence, "he would be alive now."

------------------