Slane or Elevation dvd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
both. If you prefer an awesome outlook on what the Elevation tour as a whole was like, get Boston. If you want an incredibly emotional outdoor show, get Slane.

Palace_Hero said:
Bloody hell guys, answer HIS QUESTION not your own egos.

Hmmm...what does my ego have to do with my response?

The Boston DVD is great because it almost gives one the feel of being in the heart, plus a few of the songs on there are top notch. It's a flat out U2 concert.

But the Slane DVD is such an accomplishment for U2 as a band and for Bono as a person who had to say goodbye to someone he loved. The Slane DVD is a touching and emotional recording.

I think it's not nessacarily fair to compare the two other than the fact that they were both recorded during the same tour. But they are completely different. And I think the OP would be doing himself a miservice to not have the oppurtunity to see both.

I think that depends on if you saw them live during the Elevation tour. If not, the Boston DVD is the next best thing (especially with a good home entertainment system and the lights off!!)

Personally, I view the Boston DVD as sort of the "official" concert for the mainstream. Whereas, the Slane DVD is more of an emotional treat for their fans.

starsgoblue said:

Hmmm...what does my ego have to do with my response?

The Boston DVD is great because it almost gives one the feel of being in the heart, plus a few of the songs on there are top notch. It's a flat out U2 concert.

But the Slane DVD is such an accomplishment for U2 as a band and for Bono as a person who had to say goodbye to someone he loved. The Slane DVD is a touching and emotional recording.

I think it's not nessacarily fair to compare the two other than the fact that they were both recorded during the same tour. But they are completely different. And I think the OP would be doing himself a miservice to not have the oppurtunity to see both.

By ego I don't mean your 'big head' or something of that ilk. I mean by saying 'get both', you are satisfying your ego in the way of not making a decision on which you like more, as most wouldn't want to (like choosing a child, as fake Edge said).

If you catch my drift?

Slane - best DVD of elevation and the one I would choose if I had to
Boston is good and has some great special features but Slane is my favorite

If you want the Bono cam get Boston, but if you want to see U2 in there home country and hear the famous line "Hey look Edge a beachball", get Slane. If I had to choose I would get Slane. Boston is great, but Slane is the better one.
Anyway, after you get one you know you will get the other.:wink:

do you guys realize how many friggin' beach balls are going to be tossed on stage this tour just to get a response :) or maybe an explanation?

UnforgettableLemon said:
Slane has the complete show. That's one good reason. (even if you have to go to the bonus stuff to watch Mysterious Ways :mad:)

What songs weren't on Boston? I never heard about that.

Well...

I'd prefer Elevation, just for the variety and powerful songs played in an arena atmosphere. But Slane is good too... and that also has some good performances of One and Mysterious Ways (which are not on Elevation).

Both DVD's are great, but I've found that I've watched the Boston DVD much more and would probably recommend that one first. I think it's a much better representation of the Elevation Tour as a whole...AND, I think it features some of the best performances of UTEOTW, I Will Follow, The Fly, Streets, Bad and Stay that I think you can find in the archive of released U2 dvds. I just think that these songs worked better in an areana.

BUT- I'd have to say that Slane also has some awesome performances, namely an incredible version of Wake Up Dead Man, All I want Is You, One and Mysterious Ways.

Re: Well...

trevgreg said:
I'd prefer Elevation, just for the variety and powerful songs played in an arena atmosphere. But Slane is good too... and that also has some good performances of One and Mysterious Ways (which are not on Elevation).

Uh, do you mean Boston, 'cause both are in reality "Elevation" (i.e. tour name). Not picking, I just think your opinion should be stated clearly so we all know.

Slane, hands down!

RobVox

Well i love Boston...it has good moments in it and alot of extras.

But by far i think Slane is much more intense and fun, Slane was my absolute favorite of the two.

If i were you though i would still get both..lol they are both a must have for any U2 fan...Just my opinion.

:dance:

Definitely Slane. The Boston was more "artificial" because the band knew it was going to be released as a DVD. The performances were actually taken from two back to back Boston shows at the discretion of the band and the director. So, it doesn't flow per se.

Slane, on the other hand, is the complete show. There was no pressure for the band to put on a good show; and really there should never be any pressure because they are a great live act. This DVD wasn't immediately meant for mass release. There was such a high demand for it to be released (partly due to the online petition that a number of us signed) that the band gave in to their fans.

So yes, if you have to choose one it's gotta be Slane.

Hehe, yeah, I meant "Boston" when I said Elevation. Just used to seeing the E word whenever I pick up the DVD, I guess, as I did the other night. :)

FullonEdge2 said:
What songs weren't on Boston? I never heard about that.

The Boston show was mostly filmed on 6 June 2001. This was the setlist that night (from U2tours.com):
- Elevation
- Beautiful Day
- Until the End of the World
- Mysterious Ways / Sexual Healing
- In My Life / Stuck In a Moment
- Kite
- Gone
- New York
- I Will Follow
- Sunday Bloody Sunday / Get Up Stand Up
- In A Little While
- Desire / Gloria
- People Get Ready
- Bad
- Where the Streets Have No Name
- Pride

- Bullet the Blue Sky
- With or Without You
- The Fly
- One / Wake Up Dead Man
- Walk On / Hallelujah

As you can see, Mysterious Ways, In My Life, People Get Ready and Pride are not on the DVD. Alternatively, Stay is on the DVD, but wasn't played that night (the version on the DVD is from the night before, 5 June). Plus, the DVD uses some footage from the final night, 9 June (this includes the Bonocam shots).

C ya!

Marty

Defanitely go with Slane - like the setlist on Slane a little better, plus there is just something about the atmoshphere which appeals to me more.

how about edge smashing his guitar at the end of Gone in the Boston DVD.. thats gotta be a highlight :wink:

i have to agree with everyone.. i think every song in Slane was very solid and emotional (especially the last 5-6 songs), but boston probably has the best UTEOTW, awesome rendition of Bad/Streets (although Slane's All I want is You/Streets is just as good), and also an awesome version of the Fly

even one was cut from boston; and even the extra section at the end of desire where bono sings whatever comes to his mind...
btw, I never unterstood why everybody raves about slane...it's one of the most boring U2 shows I ever saw, and it is also very short. the setlist is dull, with no surprises. the only cool parts of the show are: from outta control to kite, all I want-streets, and bullet. that's it. angel, desire, staring, walk on must be the worst EVER takes of those songs. the rest of the performances are very average, no passion, no drive, no fire. maybe the band was worn out from having played 83 shows in 5 months (on Pop they played 93 in 11...), and from partying too hard in Dublin, but...
and what's the point in putting in a boring 20 yr old documentary as an extra? wouldn't it have been better if they had put as extras:
1) b.day-mlk-streets from Superbowl 02
2) one-pride from dublin june 03
3) hands from the oscars.
4) bono at pavarotti 03
5) bono and edge in s. africa nov 03
and myst ways as a bonus song...it really sucks.
why cutting the intro speech to one? why cutting the fireworks at the end?
I have loads of bootleg CD's and DVD's which are way way better!!!!!!!

slane slane slane slane slane

of course what i really want to say is BOTH!
but if you have to shoose (which is painful i'm sure) then go for slane - both rock but slanes just a bit more special!

did mysterious ways on the elevation tour have the belly dancer? i always forget.. if so i bet they cut it out so the concert was more "family" friendly, and also welcomed in non-western markets

Get Boston.

Bono's voice was much better in Boston.

Larry screwed up the drum entrance to Angel Of Harlem in Slane.

Bad is a better live song that All I Want Is You. Bono also screws up the sanctity and beauty of the song by murdering it and singing "all I want is fucking you." He had no such hiccups in Boston.

Stay in Boston was much better than the spiritless performance of Staring At The Sun in Slane.

The Elevation Tour was an indoor tour for the songs off the All That You Can't Leave Behind album. Slane is not representative of that tour as it is outdoors and omits key songs off that album - New York and In A Little While.

Slane has a shorter setlist filled with "fillers" of old tunes that have been done too many times in the past and where you can get better versions of those songs from previous tours.

Bono talks too much during the Slane DVD. We're buying the DVD to watch U2 perform, not to hear Bono sing.

Slane features a much longer version of one of the most unbearable songs off the POP album - Wake Up Dead Man. At least the version in Boston is shorter so the agony isn't as bad.

Boston has better video and audio quality, more camera angles, and basically a better production in general.

So I think it's a no brainer, get Boston.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
Bono talks too much during Slane??? Are you kidding???? I think the whole show flowed nicely, his comments included, and those "filler"songs are some of the best songs ever (oldies but goodies). I found Boston to be bland compared to the emotion of Slane. But this is just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom