Slane or Elevation dvd?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ulove2 said:
Bono talks too much during Slane??? Are you kidding???? I think the whole show flowed nicely, his comments included, and those "filler"songs are some of the best songs ever (oldies but goodies). I found Boston to be bland compared to the emotion of Slane. But this is just my opinion.

Yes, he talks too much during Slane, oftentimes during mid-song which screws up the flow. Slane has too much technical imperfections. Boston is a better video. Better lighting too.

Cheers,

J

bono's talkign through songs at slane like "out of control" is what made the dvd as well as the song for me. i was never a big fan but i now love that song and adore the dvd pretty much on the strenght of that - its what perked my interest in the first place.

i dont get the "we get the dvd to watch U2 perform" comment - surely thats what they're doing? bono is the ultimate performer and that involves adding little monologues and speeches and running commentary before after and during songs.
if by perform you mean you'd rather they got up there, played through their songs without a single personal comment and left again then i suggest you got to a kylie concert!

oh and technical imperfections aren't what makes or breaks a concert - its the heart involved of which slane has way more

digsy said:
oh and technical imperfections aren't what makes or breaks a concert - its the heart involved of which slane has way more

Yes, I agree with this part. It's just sad that many here question Bono's heart in the Boston DVD. They claim U2 gave a lifeless performance. U2 gave a gutsy performance in Boston, especially considering the pressure they were under. Perhaps it is the Bush supporters in this forum who want to put down Kerry's state. C'mon guys, Bush already won it!

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Get Boston.

Bono's voice was much better in Boston.

Larry screwed up the drum entrance to Angel Of Harlem in Slane.

Bad is a better live song that All I Want Is You. Bono also screws up the sanctity and beauty of the song by murdering it and singing "all I want is fucking you." He had no such hiccups in Boston.

Stay in Boston was much better than the spiritless performance of Staring At The Sun in Slane.

The Elevation Tour was an indoor tour for the songs off the All That You Can't Leave Behind album. Slane is not representative of that tour as it is outdoors and omits key songs off that album - New York and In A Little While.

Slane has a shorter setlist filled with "fillers" of old tunes that have been done too many times in the past and where you can get better versions of those songs from previous tours.

Bono talks too much during the Slane DVD. We're buying the DVD to watch U2 perform, not to hear Bono sing.

Slane features a much longer version of one of the most unbearable songs off the POP album - Wake Up Dead Man. At least the version in Boston is shorter so the agony isn't as bad.

Boston has better video and audio quality, more camera angles, and basically a better production in general.

So I think it's a no brainer, get Boston.

Cheers,

J

I thought Bono's voice was great in Slane (start of stuck in a moment, wake up dead man, all i want is you)

Bad is just as good as All I want is you, although the 40/Palms part is a little cooler from Boston

Its been a while since I've seen Boston, so I don't quite remember the Stay performance, Staring at the sun wasn't that great in Slane, it was okay, but I think it was a good lead up to All I Want is You...

I think Slane doesn't need to be representative of the Elevation tour to be a good DVD... it was so emotional because of the circumstances (day after his father's funeral)

I thought the setlist of slane was excellent.. from All I want is you to the very end its really a rollercoaster ride of emotions.. I think maybe wake up dead man should have came later in the set, but thats the only major complaint in terms of flow

are you sure boston has better quality? i don't even think its wide screen.. if i remember correctly, slane is their first widescreen DVD (not including R&H)

Slane definitely. Also Slane is anamorphic widescreen and Boston is full screen.

Reminder:
The Slane DVD is also a Elevation DVD :D
Just so we don't see too much confusion.
I think mostly everyone know what you mean anyway :D

Oh yeah, forgot:
Get Boston if:
You want "to be" at a typical U2 elevation tour concert.

Get Slane if:
You want "to be" at a very very very personal and emotional U2 show.

I think Boston had better quality to it's film than Slane though.

But, I prefer Slane.

Last edited:
You get a brilliant performance of the Fly on the boston concert that isn't on slane

but mysterious ways on slane is class as well.

Slane has bette sound quality options. Slane's UTEOTW is the best version I've heard, plus you get NYD and Out of Control, what more could you want?

Boston does have heart. I think all of their shows have heart. In the end, though, Boston seems a little like a song-playing robot (although there's nothing wrong with that) while Slane is all about epic widescreen emotion in front of a much more energetic audience.

I recommend getting both, but if you only want one, I would actually suggest getting Slane.

digsy said:

to quote myself and to point this out as i appear to have been misunderstood -

I didint say Boston has no heart - i dont think such a thing is possible in a U2 concert.
I just think heres a lot more passion in Slane thats all, which is why i suggest that one

Originally posted by jick

Bad is a better live song that All I Want Is You. Bono also screws up the sanctity and beauty of the song by murdering it and singing "all I want is fucking you." He had no such hiccups in Boston.

J [/B]

I found that rather amusing, he says that because some tw*t completey drowns him in water!!

Last edited:
I think i'd have to go for slane.
the setlist is kinda of a greatest hits type concert that spans through thier career.
in boston, bono's voice was very inconsistant (wowy comes to mind ). and it seems premeditated (the band looking happy for the cameras) adam very much looked pissed off in slane

Thought Slane would be disappointing simply for the omission of Bad, but it's still the better concert if only because of Out of Control. The band's in top form on that one.

Musically, U2's overall performance is better at the Slane concert. Their playing is relaxed and confident. All I Want Is You, With or Without You, One, Walk On, and Mysterious Ways are all highlights. Also has a nice moment with Bono (rightfully) praising Edge's vocals.

Sharik said:
Thought Slane would be disappointing simply for the omission of Bad, but it's still the better concert if only because of Out of Control. The band's in top form on that one.

Musically, U2's overall performance is better at the Slane concert. Their playing is relaxed and confident. All I Want Is You, With or Without You, One, Walk On, and Mysterious Ways are all highlights. Also has a nice moment with Bono (rightfully) praising Edge's vocals.

Actually Slane has more band mistakes and Bono-lyric-screw ups, but they are looser and having more fun than in Boston.

Boston has the Fly, Stay, Gone Slane has Pride and One and Mysterious Ways.

Boston has a pretty decent bonus disc also.

Get both.

I think the make or break factor in the decision is actually the fans.

On Slane, the fans really bring the show into an epic status.

Boston, while cool for the overall Elevation tour feel, is lacking in this category.

I'd go for Boston. For one, the sound is better. The sound on Slane is good, but not as full sounding, most likely do to the outdoor setting. Also, I think Boston is more "representative" of the how the tour was. For instance, the opening in Boston is brilliant: they begin playing with the house lights on. It's so weird; I was wondering, did somebody forget to flick the switch? Then, BAM, they kick in the lights, after the bridge, and everything is off and running. It's one of my favorite moments in the show. The effect is missing from the Slane show.

Both are great though. I side with the camp that says they are both worth having. But I'd still get Boston over Slane if I had to choose.

bcrt2000 said:
how about edge smashing his guitar at the end of Gone in the Boston DVD.. thats gotta be a highlight :wink:

i have to agree with everyone.. i think every song in Slane was very solid and emotional (especially the last 5-6 songs), but boston probably has the best UTEOTW, awesome rendition of Bad/Streets (although Slane's All I want is You/Streets is just as good), and also an awesome version of the Fly
Heck yeah. I'm beginning to love Slane more than ever, but I still think Boston is nearly impossible to beat. I think I will go with Boston, because it's similar to the concert I saw, being in an arena and all.

buy slane, i was there that night and its was the greatest day of my life, and watching it on dvd could make it really good for you also...wait...but then why dont you buy both...wait...why dont you already have both??!!??!!?? lol only messing

my pick slane, but boston has a tremendous (or however thats spelt) the fly, bad, and stay...oh oh and new york...no pride or one though?

GiacomoHoldini said:
I'd go for Boston. For one, the sound is better. The sound on Slane is good, but not as full sounding, most likely do to the outdoor setting.

Hmmm, all the instruments are mic'd from 2 inches, outdoors makes no difference. I would say it has more to do with Steve Lillywhite recording the concert....

I'd pick Slane

Sunday Bloody Sunday and Bullet the Blue Sky on Slane were just too unreal

and I love Bono's banter during songs, like Out of Control.. that's great..!

I am going to eventually buy both. I have already seen the Elevation dvd (a friend's copy) a few times. I was more or less trying to size up the Slane dvd for comparison - that's all. I have yet to see it and was interested in what people thought.

Slane, definitely. If anything, get it for the Mysterious Ways bonus track.
1) The Edge is awesome in this.
2) Bono brings Eve up on stage, and it's the cutest thing.

oh, and of course, "Oh look Edge, a beach ball."

Back
Top Bottom