Slane DVD question - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2004, 09:50 AM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:13 PM
Slane DVD question

Close to the end of Pride, after Bono says "this is our love," they proceed into the last chorus. After the first in the name of love bono turns and smiles/laughs at larry, and he does the same back. Anyone know what this is about?

Old 12-16-2004, 05:01 PM   #2
Refugee

Local Time: 06:13 PM
HONESTLY I DONT KNOW. MY GUESS COULD BE THAT BONO HIT THE HIGH NOTE THAT HE OFTEN HAS TROUBLE WITH NOW.

Old 12-16-2004, 05:54 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 12:13 PM
I love this part of the concert actually. There's this long standing joke between Bono and Larry. Basically, Larry is always making fun of how Bono's able to come up with profound words extemporaneously on stage. In this particular case, Bono did not come up with anything and got caught in the middle of trying to come up with something. So, he looked over at Larry and Larry gave him a laugh to acknowledge that he (Bono) got stuck and had to scramble for something not so deep.

I always love the band's unspoken interactions with each other. Take for example when Bono wants to expand on a lyrical idea or extra tracks during a live performance. All he has to do is hold his arm out to signal to The Edge and others that he's going to extend the bridge (or whatever part he's on). That's all it takes and the rest of the band takes the cue. For any one who's played live with a multiple people, you know that's really hard to do and find your bearings. With the chemistry of U2, it's effortless.

There are lots of examples, the best one being during the Fuck the revolution part of Sunday Bloody Sunday in Rattle & Hum. Bono had more to say and communicated that by raising his arm - Larry picked up on it and continued his martial beats. Once he did that, The Edge noticed it and looked at Bono and he plays another bar of the bridge. A sign of a band who's members are totally interlaced.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:04 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ADecentMelody

I always love the band's unspoken interactions with each other. Take for example when Bono wants to expand on a lyrical idea or extra tracks during a live performance. All he has to do is hold his arm out to signal to The Edge and others that he's going to extend the bridge (or whatever part he's on). That's all it takes and the rest of the band takes the cue. For any one who's played live with a multiple people, you know that's really hard to do and find your bearings. With the chemistry of U2, it's effortless.

There are lots of examples, the best one being during the Fuck the revolution part of Sunday Bloody Sunday in Rattle & Hum. Bono had more to say and communicated that by raising his arm - Larry picked up on it and continued his martial beats. Once he did that, The Edge noticed it and looked at Bono and he plays another bar of the bridge. A sign of a band who's members are totally interlaced.

Yes! It's amazing just watching Bono sticking his arm out and what's needed is done before his even fully extends his hand.
Old 12-17-2004, 12:18 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ADecentMelody
Yeah, those are always great moments! The little gestures Bono makes and then the whole band following his actions. Some of those moments are my favourites from their released live concerts (like Out Of Control at Slane, Sunday Bloody Sunday in Rattle And Hum, All I Want Is You at Popmart Mexico, etc.)

Quote:
Well, I thought the band acted differently. With his gesture Bono more or less signaled to the band to tone it down, so he could finish his speech. You can also hear the band playing quieter during the bridge (with Larry following first and then The Edge looking at Larry after which he tones down his guitar playing). That and the speech itself... chilling...

C ya!

Marty
Old 12-17-2004, 03:25 AM   #6
New Yorker

my favourite example of this is in Out of Control on the Slane DVD - Bono's just given his "£500" speech and starts signing Out of Control and you can hear Edge about to really kick in with the guitar and Bono just holds his arm out to Edge and he quitens it down while Bono repeats the "out of control" and as Bono gets louder, edge gets louder till eventually on the 4th go or so Bono really kicks in and Edge is right there with it.
its quite cute cause the camrea zooms out and you can see Bono waving his arm upwards behind him telling Edge to build it... "i'm out of controoooo-ooool!"

I dont know why but i love that bit, its just the way one arm movement from Bono literally stops Edge is his tracks - he knows exactly what to do. that kind of chemistry and understanding is pretty rare i reckon.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:28 PM   #7
Refugee

Also, in "All i want is you" in the slane dvd, there's a part when a guy wet Bono, hr tries to find that guy, and then says "All i want is fuck you man" or something like that
Old 01-01-2005, 08:25 PM   #8
New Yorker

I think U2's staff threw the water on him. To cool him down.

SMB
Old 01-01-2005, 09:36 PM   #9
Babyface

I like on the Slane DVD how Bono and Edge were out at the tip of the heart and he wanted Larry and Adam to come in. So he signaled back at them and I guess Larry was messing around pretendin not to know what Bono said and Bono laughed and counted them in 1..2..3..4...i thought that was pretty funny
Old 01-01-2005, 11:08 PM   #10
Refugee

My favorite example of this was at the Brooklyn Bridge concert during Out Of Control, when he extended "Out of controooooooooooooooooooooooool", then gave a pump of his fist that Larry picked up on perfectly, and played a perfect ba-dum to it.

It was great.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:39 PM   #11
Babyface

Where can I see the Brooklyn Bridge show?
Old 01-02-2005, 07:48 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 08:13 PM
I have a similar question. Rattle and Hum:
SBS when Bono shouts NO MORE..., once, e+when he says no more he sings so high that all i can hear is tha soung like when you're scratching a school board!!you know what i mean
Old 01-02-2005, 07:50 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 08:13 PM
Sorry, it's not a question, and sorry for gramatical mistakes, mum just flew in my room and surprised me,sorry.

IT's MY 111 Post, let's drink!!
Old 01-02-2005, 07:55 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

during Pride the crowd were at their loudest we started chanted "oh oh oh oh" and he was loving it, its like B-Man was saying "can you believe this?" by smiling at Lazzer
Old 01-02-2005, 07:56 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie

why did I call him lazzer??
Old 01-02-2005, 08:50 AM   #16
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:13 PM
Lazzer

neutral @ interference.com
Old 01-02-2005, 12:09 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by neutral
Lazzer
new avatar I see.... I really liked your old one though...
Old 01-02-2005, 12:19 PM   #18
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Pero
I have a similar question. Rattle and Hum:
SBS when Bono shouts NO MORE..., once, e+when he says no more he sings so high that all i can hear is tha soung like when you're scratching a school board!!you know what i mean
LOL, that was feedback from the microphone, when he bends down he leans right into the monitor, which = feedback.