Slane Castle: Backing tracks or backup band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wyn525i

Babyface
I have always wondered about this. on many of U2's songs, there is much more music going on than just the guitar, bass, and drums(sometimes keyboard). Does the band play to a backing track, or are there some musicians hidden somewhere playing the other parts of the songs?

I notice this most on "Stuck in a Moment." Does anybody have any info on this?

Have they ever shown any of the backup band in ANY of their videos? I've never even seen any kind of credits for them.

he's joking with you
Most of the times, the extra sounds come from Edge's gear.... the intro of streets, wowy, that's delay.. .a guitar effect.... and Edge has lots of sounds stuffed in the big box that is behind him each and every tour... and with all the pedals in front of him he can activate them :)

Some of it comes from Edge's equipment, some of it is backing tracks.

Some of the keyboards are played by Terry Lawless (he's playing on OOTS in Milan video), he was hired for Elevation and Vertigo.

Pretty much any sound from any U2 album can be played from Edge's gear. Dallas will sometimes play those things or play guitar when Edge ends up stuck away from his controls. Also the keyboard player is under the stage when they use one.

Dana

U2Man said:

Elegantly stated. It used to bug me for some crazy purist reason, but I understand the reason to flesh out their sound live, the perfectionists that they are. Now it's a trainspotting game - almost every song has a little somethin' going on in the background.

Actually Terry is under the stage and he plays some of the keyboards and sequencers with the band. (IE Terry played the bass sequencer for Love And Peace)

Some of the effects do go through Edge's gear. I dont think Dallas ever plays with the band though he is to busy monitering what Edge is doing to be able to do that.

Last edited:
I know since the UF Tour Edge has used sequencers. I once read a U2 book about the first time Edge/U2 used them. How they needed to learn to use them. Songs like Bad, Streets, COBL, have strong sequence use. I think are all cued up by the Edge. :wink:

Blue Room said:
Actually Terry is under the stage and he plays some of the keyboards and sequencers with the band. (IE Terry played the bass sequencer for Love And Peace)

Some of the effects do go through Edge's gear. I dont think Dallas ever plays with the band though he is to busy monitering what Edge is doing to be able to do that.

I was referring to what Dallas said in the video interviews that I have seen. He has a duplicate panel to what Edge has on stage and can also play through the effects if necessary. He talks about how Bono sometimes draws Edge out away from his boards and Dallas has to be ready to cover if Edge can't get back into position. Mostly he isn't actually playing the guitar but he can be playing the effects and add-ons.

Dana

U2girl said:
Some of it comes from Edge's equipment, some of it is backing tracks.

Some of the keyboards are played by Terry Lawless (he's playing on OOTS in Milan video), he was hired for Elevation and Vertigo.

Dallas played second guitar alot during the Elevation tour. Didn't see that on Vertigo though.

I'm not sure I believe all this backing track stuff. The song that would be most tempting to use it would be Beautiful Day, with all the harmony in there; I think the studio verison is a three or four part harmony during the chorus. Didn't see/hear that on the tour.

I agree with other posters who explain a lot of the misconception is due to Edge's guitar delay. Another contibuting factor would be acoustics of the venue, if there's an echo; etc.

Last edited:
rihannsu said:

I was referring to what Dallas said in the video interviews that I have seen. He has a duplicate panel to what Edge has on stage and can also play through the effects if necessary. He talks about how Bono sometimes draws Edge out away from his boards and Dallas has to be ready to cover if Edge can't get back into position. Mostly he isn't actually playing the guitar but he can be playing the effects and add-ons.

Dana

I understand, but that really is just monitering what Edge is doing. Dallas merely hits the sequencer if Edge cant get to it. Maybe I misunderstood the thread because I thought it was about effects, etc.. and whether somone else is playing with the band. Dallas doesnt play with the band ever and certainly whatever he is doing under the stage doesnt go through the PA or get put into the live mix. So I may have misunderstood what we were discussing. My error.

rihannsu said:

He talks about how Bono sometimes draws Edge out away from his boards and Dallas has to be ready to cover if Edge can't get back into position. Mostly he isn't actually playing the guitar but he can be playing the effects and add-ons.

Dana

He's actually triggering Edge's effects, not playing anything.

Snowlock said:

Dallas played second guitar alot during the Elevation tour. Didn't see that on Vertigo though.

I'm not sure I believe all this backing track stuff. The song that would be most tempting to use it would be Beautiful Day, with all the harmony in there; I think the studio verison is a three or four part harmony during the chorus. Didn't see/hear that on the tour.

I agree with other posters who explain a lot of the misconception is due to Edge's guitar delay. Another contibuting factor would be acoustics of the venue, if there's an echo; etc.

What song(s) was Dallas playing on Elevation? News to me.

Its a known fact that Terry plays with the band under the stage. They arent hiding it. So its nothing to buy into. Terry even played the keyboards on stage at some shows on the third leg of Vertigo for Original Of The Species.

Snowlock said:

I think people are talking more about additional clicks, beeps, and other misc rather than vocal parts.

Snowlock said:

That's the sequencer. You even hear Danny Lanois' voice, especially on the break before the final chorus. Harmonizers can only go so far, and there's no way Edge's voice could be processed into so many discrete parts.

And, yeah, Dallas will switch Edge's patch settings if Edge isn't near his floor board. I don't think he has much time to play for an entire song - but SOMEONE is. Terry might move between instruments, but you really can pick out extra electric rhythm parts, especially when Edge goes to solo. It's very subtle, but it's there on certain songs. Kite comes to mind - check out the b-side version from Australia. I have a hard time believing that it's a sequenced guitar part. That's a logistical nightmare, especially with the open-ended nature of that song.

ahittle said:

That's the sequencer. You even hear Danny Lanois' voice, especially on the break before the final chorus. Harmonizers can only go so far, and there's no way Edge's voice could be processed into so many discrete parts.

And, yeah, Dallas will switch Edge's patch settings if Edge isn't near his floor board. I don't think he has much time to play for an entire song - but SOMEONE is. Terry might move between instruments, but you really can pick out extra electric rhythm parts, especially when Edge goes to solo. It's very subtle, but it's there on certain songs. Kite comes to mind - check out the b-side version from Australia. I have a hard time believing that it's a sequenced guitar part. That's a logistical nightmare, especially with the open-ended nature of that song.

Well, the B side is a fully mixed production. They could have been added in after the fact.

Terry does a variety of things under the stage where needed. I dont think there is anyone else (other than Bono and maybe Terry sometimes) playing any type of guitar with the band.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
all because of you - brooklyn bridge

two guitars playing after the chorus, just one guitar player.

That could be a loop effect, with the rhythm portion recorded on the fly and then played back later via a pedal. I'm not sure if I'd consider that a backing track technically.

staring at the sun.

popmart, las vegas.

that answers your question about backing tracks.

and terry and dallas are no secrets either.

U2Man said:
staring at the sun.

popmart, las vegas.

that answers your question about backing tracks.

and terry and dallas are no secrets either.

I don't see how it answers any of these.

ntalwar said:

That could be a loop effect, with the rhythm portion recorded on the fly and then played back later via a pedal. I'm not sure if I'd consider that a backing track technically.

Yes, but that would be crazy hard to get exactly right and to sync up a second time through. We're talking miliseconds.

ahittle said:

Yes, but that would be crazy hard to get exactly right and to sync up a second time through. We're talking miliseconds.

Or the guitar loop could be pre-stored in the effect box and triggered by the footswtich. It would be even tougher to sync up the band with a backing track than a loop.

Blue Room said:

What song(s) was Dallas playing on Elevation? News to me.

Its a known fact that Terry plays with the band under the stage. They arent hiding it. So its nothing to buy into. Terry even played the keyboards on stage at some shows on the third leg of Vertigo for Original Of The Species.

I don't recall which songs Dallas was playing on; been too long. Reason I'm saying this is because at the elevation tour stop in minneapolis, I was on the side of the stage, and watched Dallas playing. Definately wasn't tuning.

In talking about backing tracks I'm thinking of vocal tracks and guitar tracks, like Gone. A completely separate instrument, like keyboards, I'm not considering. Just like saying Dallas playing, if Terry is to, not an issue.

ahittle said:

Maybe they've used it on some shows and not on others then. I've never heard any other parts besides Edge on the backing vocals to BD live.

Back
Top Bottom