Slane Castle: Backing tracks or backup band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So basically all the extras from the albums are programmed as samples so that they can be triggered when needed. I see no difference in doing this than in someone playing a synthisizer.

Yeah, there is definately something that seperates a pre-programmed loop or little effect that still has to be "played" rather than an entire track being lip-synched.

As I said above, I'm not a fan of all those do-dads, but I will take that over them NOT playing certain songs because they don't like the sound of guitar,bass,drums.

And I thought some of the live POPmart stuff could've used more backing, especially Hold Me, Thrill Me. Sounded a little thin guitar-wise in spots.

Maybe bring Dallas up on stage and have him strum along?

Last edited:
I guess the extra guys thing works for some groups. When Talking Heads added folks for Stop Making Sense, it was pretty cool. I guess U2 are too far into it to bring more people on the stage.

But say the next album relied on horns and strings? I wouldn't mind seeing an extra section up there. Maybe it crosses the line when you see someone play guitar...

That loop from the live versions of Bad is actually in the Unforgettable Fire version. I don't remember exactly when, but I think it's during the "true colors clash collide in bloodshot eyes" part.

tpsreports2424 said:

I knew that, I was just including Vertigo Tour and
Elevation because the topic is about Slane Castle...

Yeah but you stated it was only the "intro", I was just trying to correct you.

Poor Joe O Herlihy...I think yer great!!!.
I think theres a fair bit of speculation and trying to impress going on in this thread.
Bottom line is, we should just lie back and enjoy the vibes!

I prefer them hitting pedals to trigger backup voices, noises etc...
The alternative would be backup singers, which could be awful. The worst example would be The Police's Synchronicity, where there are female backup singers who kinda ruin half the songs.

Ifeelnumb84 said:
I prefer them hitting pedals to trigger backup voices, noises etc...
The alternative would be backup singers, which could be awful. The worst example would be The Police's Synchronicity, where there are female backup singers who kinda ruin half the songs.

That's true. Worst case scenario, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom