Sitting down at a U2 concert??? Say what????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tackleberry

War Child
I saw this article on Entertainment Weekly and it bogged my frickin mind. Apparantly the writer finds it annoying when people are standing at a U2 concert. I really don't have anything to say to that. Maybe just: Holy Christ, what is the matter with this chum??
eek.gif

Here's the link: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary/0,6115,230646~4~0~u2strokes--sit,00.html

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

[This message has been edited by tackleberry (edited 04-16-2002).]

I was asked to sit down at an early U2 Elevation date. (Before I learned how to get into the heart.) I smiled and told them sorry I am here to elevate and I can't do that sitting down.

I wouldn't feel as much as the experience if I was only sitting there as an observer. Being on your feet woo-hoo-ing with the boys makes me part of the act.

Also can you imagine your consternation if you were our boys and you took the stage to a mass of still bodies in seats? I have read about that kind of crowd reaction and it really throws the artist off kilter - especially a rock show.

Now if it was a comedian or other act I would probably be sitting, too.

------------------
Mone

You ain't nothin without a rhythm section to back you up.

"What Adam does with his willy is his business..." -Bono

Well, I aint read the article but maybe hes only 4ft 3 and thats why he hates pple standing, cause he cant see.......
wink.gif

other than that, perhaps hes been elbowed in the nuts a few times or somethin.......*shrugs*

but sittin at a U2 concert would be quite cool actually, a 'chilled' U2 concert......
biggrin.gif

HEY TACKLES!!!!!!!!!! just the man I mentioned last weeky!!!!
wink.gif

That is so stupid.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

I don't think I could force myself to sit still at a U2 concert. Insanity! I'm only five feet tall, but there are ways to get around not being able to see if you are resourceful.

I remember during the Chicago show I went to during Popmart, we were on the floor and everybody was standing on their chairs. Every once in awhile a security person would come and "make" us get down, and as soon as they left, we'd get right back up again.

A couple years ago, the band Neve was having a concert at a high school auditorium near where I live, since the drummer went to that high school. My best friend and I were getting up and dancing and these people kept giving us weird looks. Well, we gave them weird looks right back because they were sitting there not moving! Sheesh!

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

teehee. I left a message at the feedback part. What a flippin moron. Yeah...I'm gonna go to a U2 show and SIT.
tongue.gif

ya i left one for this idiot...my name is achtungbebe

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

Doesn't this remind you of the episode of the Simpsons where U2 was playing?

Otto Man: "Sit down, man! You're ruining the show!"

Originally posted by Humbucker:
Doesn't this remind you of the episode of the Simpsons where U2 was playing?

Otto Man: "Sit down, man! You're ruining the show!"

I was totally just thinking of that! No one sits at a U2 show because you can't help but get up for the music. It's as simple as that.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Maybe he should come to hong kong then. People here never stand up during concerts... wait! But we didn't have U2 or the Strokes here!!

I think sitting down and just watch a concert is completely different with standing up. You'll feel that you're a part of the concert if you stand up while you'll be more concentrated on the music itself if you sit down and listen(as in a classical music concert).

Originally posted by wertsie:

I remember during the Chicago show I went to during Popmart, we were on the floor and everybody was standing on their chairs. Every once in awhile a security person would come and "make" us get down, and as soon as they left, we'd get right back up again.

I did the same in Madison, since there was nobody right behind me...I wasn't blocking anybody's view. I kept losing my balance on my chair though, and the man next to me would catch me.
biggrin.gif
He was a great guy!

At Elevation, we were in the $85 seats section. My parents stood for about half the concert, sat for about half the concert...I stood the entire time. The people behind me were drunk dorks, so I'm sure they didn't care.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"I'm nearly great, but there's something missing..."

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 04-17-2002).]

My first U2 concerts were in Brisbane, October 1989. Three nights in a row.

The people who had floor seats had no trouble at all standing and having a good time, but the people around us in the upper levels were just sitting there.
confused.gif
My friend and I stood the whole time all three nights. The second night we saw LMJ look up at us (we were the only two people in our section standing)
biggrin.gif
!

Originally posted by EPandAmerica:
My first U2 concerts were in Brisbane, October 1989. Three nights in a row.

The people who had floor seats had no trouble at all standing and having a good time, but the people around us in the upper levels were just sitting there.
confused.gif
My friend and I stood the whole time all three nights. The second night we saw LMJ look up at us (we were the only two people in our section standing)
biggrin.gif
!

Damn! I wish LMJ would look up at ME!!! I guess I'll have to settle for Adam smiling at me.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

I love how the picture captioned with a complaint about people standing is of people on the floor.

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

Back
Top Bottom