Sir Bono?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
Why is it, ppl refer to Bob Geldof as Sir Bob yet they dont extend Sir Bono the same courtesy? I mean, they both have the same background stories

gman said:
Why is it, ppl refer to Bob Geldof as Sir Bob yet they dont extend Sir Bono the same courtesy? I mean, they both have the same background stories

No idea, they both recieved the same..."honour"...so there's no reason why Bono shouldn't be treated the same as Geldof.

I'm thinking that it may be that he was only knighted in Ireland or some technicality as I said... look it up in the old knight threads.

COBL_04 said:
I'm thinking that it may be that he was only knighted in Ireland or some technicality as I said... look it up in the old knight threads.

Neither of them are "proper" knights as neither are british citizens, both received honourary knighthoods. I suspect that only the Edge or Adam could become real knights as they both have or are at least entitled to British passports British passports.

Neither of them is allowed to use the word "Sir" with their name officially, because they are not British citizens. I heard that "Sir Bob" is more of a nickname, not a proper name. Technically, they have received the same honour, but since they are not UK residents, they can only add the KBA to their name, if they wish to do so, not the Sir.

An Cat Gav said:

Correct answer!
Collect your reward, an honourary knighthood.
Arise SIr Axver!!:wink:

:lol:

I object to Sir Axver a bit less, no matter how ridiculously hypocritical that might be. :wink:

Aardvark747 said:
Have I missed something...has Bono been awarded an honorary knighthood and it's passed me by?!:huh:
Yes, he received it last year and the ceremony took place in March 2007 in Dublin.

coolian2 said:

It could easily have been missed, it wasn't discussed much here

Perhaps an occasional visit to PLEBA could be enlightening.

Of course, I speak in jest and with much loyalty.

And saying Sir Paul Hewson would make people go "who?"

As if they don't do that anyway when one says Bono :tsk:

kingdom%20of%20heaven%20jersusalem%20crusader%20knight.gif

THIS IS EXTRAORDINARY

An Cat Gav said:

Neither of them are "proper" knights as neither are british citizens, both received honourary knighthoods. I suspect that only the Edge or Adam could become real knights as they both have or are at least entitled to British passports British passports.

That's the one. :up:

Back
Top Bottom