Sir Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ntalwar said:

The history of the British in Ireland isn't exactly flattering. But I agree with those who say that he's in a position where it would be politically difficult for him to decline it - just like he hugs Bush for politics. :wink:

(Which I think is really lame, but ... :shrug: )

I honestly say "who the fuck cares?"

Everybody in the world has hated everyone else at some point in time. If someone who fucked you over, but has since kissed & made up, now says "hey, nice job, I'm impressed," you're more of a man by saying "Thanks" than you are by saying, "Fuck off."

Hold onto your grudges and never grow up.

Utoo said:
I honestly say "who the fuck cares?"

Everybody in the world has hated everyone else at some point in time. If someone who fucked you over, but has since kissed & made up, now says "hey, nice job, I'm impressed," you're more of a man by saying "Thanks" than you are by saying, "Fuck off."

Hold onto your grudges and never grow up.

This isn't about Irish v British....for me anyway. This is about Equality v Monarchy. Monarchy is immoral; that's the bottom line IMO.

roy said:

Monarchy is immoral

IMO, so is half the hateful crap that the Pope preaches against women and gays, but I didn't get pissed when Bono accepted a blessing from the man.

If someone wants to say "good job," you say "thank you." You don't think about what saying "thank you" means other than "thanks."

Utoo said:

IMO, so is half the hateful crap that the Pope preaches against women and gays, but I didn't get pissed when Bono accepted a blessing from the man.

If someone wants to say "good job," you say "thank you." You don't think about what saying "thank you" means other than "thanks."

even if saddam hussein said "good job"? i would be a little worried about what i had been doing then. :wink:

Do people honestly believe that people who accept this award award are supporting "monarchy??" "Gee, the Queen's saying 'nice work.' I guess I'll say 'thanks' and subject myself to her whim." It hasn't worked like that since the Vatican crowned the Holy Roman Emperor.

From U2.com:
In 2003 Bono was presented with the Legion D'Honneur by President Jacques Chirac on behalf of the French Government, for his contribution to music and his campaigning work.

Omigod!!! Bono supports a 19-party system!! :yikes:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
will the edge be behind him clicking coconuts together as brave sir bono rides his fake horse?

I think you just won the thread.

jinn77 said:
He should show some backbone and say no as respecfully as possible.

Buckingham Palace only announces honors for the people who accept them. He already had his chance to turn it down -- and who knows, maybe did in the past.

For whatever reason now, he's accepting it. There are a number of musicians in the past who have told the Palace they don't want honors, essentially because in some circles, it's considered passe.

Side note: Edge and Adam actually would be eligible to use a title given that they are of British descent (Wales counts, as in Sir Sean Connery, Sir Tom Jones, Sir Richard Burton, etc.)

cg said:

i think he is at a point politically where he is unable to decline things like this.

yes, irish people have turned down nominations for knighthood in the past, but he is not exactly a freedom fighter in ireland. he is not "against" britain. he is "for" africa"

"A spokesman said the 46-year-old singer was flattered by the honor and hoped it will help him open diplomatic doors in his campaign for more Western aid to Africa."

I think you're right. As much as it would be "omgz!1!badass" to decline it, this will most likely end up helping his campaigning for Africa. It's probably as simple as that.

Yes This is more Bono Exsposure!!! Sir Bono!!! Front Page news Bono is everywhere and i love it..... But it has got to be a real good thing for him and the world.

Axver said:

The history of the British in Ireland isn't exactly flattering. But I agree with those who say that he's in a position where it would be politically difficult for him to decline it - just like he hugs Bush for politics. :wink:

(Which I think is really lame, but ... :shrug: )

Axver, I can't believe I have to be in a position of agreeing with you about anything...but in this case, I do.

I posted on this in Pleba, but I think the post was taken as a personal assault on British people rather than an intellectual pondering, so this thread is probably a better place to express my views.

(the original post: http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=170723&pagenumber=4 )

I guess what surprises me is people's naive attitude of "why is this contentious?" I mean, six years of peace isn't a long stretch of time, and there are deep divisions, still, between Protestants and Catholics. I was in Belfast last summer and was surprised to learn there are STILL 8500 troops and STILL segregated schools, neighborhoods, and pubs. Catholics are still not on equal footing.

I think it's great to be bi-partisan in soliciting support for debt relief in Africa. At the end of the day, it's an economic issue. Kiss all the frogs you need too--but I thought Bono might have an issue in accepting this, given that it is close to home.

And as someone else said, great to give him recognition but how about increasing contributions to Africa for purchasing anti retroviral drugs and malaria prevention mosquito nets? Hmmph.

silvrlvr said:
Side note: Edge and Adam actually would be eligible to use a title given that they are of British descent (Wales counts, as in Sir Sean Connery, Sir Tom Jones, Sir Richard Burton, etc.)

Actually the Edge and Adam are still British.

roy said:
Monarchy is immoral

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion but if you could please explain what you mean by immoral?

Last edited:
silvrlvr said:
(Wales counts, as in Sir Sean Connery, Sir Tom Jones, Sir Richard Burton, etc.)

Last I heard Sean Connery was Scottish, otherwise why does he wear those strange skirts....

:wink:

Anyway as for "Sir" Bono, this is a :shrug: moment. Not really what I got into U2 for....

:reject: Why would he not accept? Why is everyone so surprised? Why can't he be called Sir? What is the Irish equivalent? Why should he turn it down? Who would? Is this the original thread? I don't get it all :scream:...

But anyway, congratulations Bono! Woo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :applaud:

Now we wait for Edge, Larry and Adam's turns....oh and maybe Paul too. :wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
will the edge be behind him clicking coconuts together as brave sir bono rides his fake horse?

:lmao:

What a great movie. "I told you, we already got one!" :lmao:

excerpt from CNN article

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Bono -- the Irish rock star, anti-poverty campaigner, and philanthropist -- has been awarded an honorary British knighthood, the British Embassy in Dublin said on Saturday.

"The British Embassy in Dublin takes great pleasure in announcing that Her Majesty The Queen has appointed Bono to be an honorary Knight Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire in recognition of his services to the music industry and for his humanitarian work," according to an embassy news release.

If he's being recognized for his services to the music industry, what about those other three guys?

Laird/Bono said:

He should give it back like his "Hero" John Lennon:eyebrow:

Or he should accept it, keep it for four years, then give it back for political reasons/lack of chart success.

image012.jpg

Your Majesty, I am returning my MBE in protest against Britain's involvement in the Nigeria-Biafra thing, against our support of America in Vietnam and against Cold Turkey slipping down in the charts.
With love, John Lennon
November 25, 1969

Laird/Bono said:

He should give it back like his "Hero" John Lennon:eyebrow:

Actually, they're giving him Lennon's award. They didn't bother to scratch the name off.

Utoo said:

Actually, they're giving him Lennon's award. They didn't bother to scratch the name off.

And next tour, U2 will go on stage dressed as the Beatles and perform One plus twenty Beatles covers, one of which is now known as Window In The Skies ...

kellyahern said:

Or he should accept it, keep it for four years, then give it back for political reasons/lack of chart success.

image012.jpg

haha, kelly, thanks for posting that.

that letter by john lennon is absolutely priceless.

Back
Top Bottom