Sinead O'Connor & U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sapphire98

Babyface
I'm sorry if this is a repeat question...I'm new and didn't know exactly where to post. I've tried seraching the archives as well and didn't seem to find the answer I was looking for.

Does anyone know exactly what happened between Sinead O'Connor and U2? I know that they used to be friends and then had a falling out. Does anyone know what the falling out was about? Also does anyone know if they were ever able to mend their differences?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

:angel:

Hello Sapphire, welcome aboard! :)

You can find the whole story in the bible, Bill Flanagan?s book At the End of the World, on chapter 45. To summarize, her boyfriend and manager was Fachtna O?Ceallaigh, the guy in charge of U2?s record label Mother Records at that time, the label that launched her career. He, Fachtna, didn?t get along well with the boys because they didn?t allow him to decide whether this or that group would be supported, this or that songs would be released and all. He quit Mother Records and along with Sinead started bashing U2, saying that they passed a wrong idea about Ireland and Irish people in general, somehow diminishing Bono and his white flag. Some time later, and after spliting up from Fachtna, she and the boys made up eventually.

I think that is the story. Does anybody have more details? Or even a few corrections?

:up:

They're friends again

Actually, they had a falling out in the 80's but are on friendly terms now. Bono even wrote a song for Sinead called You Made Me the Thief of Your Heart which is on the In the Name of the Father Soundtrack.

Good stuff.

MAP

Last edited:
Yeah, "follower" is right. Sinead called U2?s music "bombastic" etc =(.
But they became friends again. It was for example Bono who recommended Sinead to work with Wyclef Jean on her latest album Faith & Courage (1998).

And I agree with "Matthew_Page2000", "You made me thief of your heart" is a great song!

Mark Chatterton's book (I know, I know...quite a few mistakes in it, but I still like the book!) has an entry for her...here's part of it:

"On more than one occasion she has spoken out against U2, saying there were 'full of bullshit' and 'manipulative'. By the Zoo TV Tour of 1992 the rift had healed, and Sinead came to U2's concert at Earl's Court. The following year she was then invited to sing on the In The Name Of The Father soundtrack album song "You Made Me The Thief Of Your Heart" written by Bono, Gavin Friday, and Maurice Seezer."

Back
Top Bottom