Simple Minds and U2....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the Best Simple Minds album:

Real Life

Get it - you will not be disappointed.

beli said:
Do I need special gear to listen to those formats?

Most DVD Players will play DVD-Audio. I'd recommend looking at your players manual. Chances are it will play.

Several DVD Players also play Super Audio CDs. However the SACD for New Gold Dream is a hybrid. So in addition to the DSD 24-bit High Resolution layer, it has a standard PCM layer that will play on any standard CD player. However you'll need a SACD Compatible player to enjoy the high resolution layer.

I bought a Universal Disc player that plays almost every format known to man for around $150. Its a six disc changer too. I really recommend getting one. You won't regret it.

80sU2isBest said:
the Best Simple Minds album:

Real Life

Get it - you will not be disappointed.

With all due respect, you're joking right?

Real Life is an okay album. However its nowhere near the quality of the previous albums when Michael MacNeil was with the group.

Skwege said:

Most DVD Players will play DVD-Audio. I'd recommend looking at your players manual. Chances are it will play.

Several DVD Players also play Super Audio CDs. However the SACD for New Gold Dream is a hybrid. So in addition to the DSD 24-bit High Resolution layer, it has a standard PCM layer that will play on any standard CD player. However you'll need a SACD Compatible player to enjoy the high resolution layer.

I bought a Universal Disc player that plays almost every format known to man for around $150. Its a six disc changer too. I really recommend getting one. You won't regret it.

Thanks. I will have to look into this. My CD player in my stereo is died so I need a new object to play CDs etc.

Last edited:
beli said:

Thanks. I will have to look into this. My CD player in my stereo is died so I need a new object to play CDs etc.

I personally recommend BOTH the SACD and the DVD-A.

The DVD being a complete remix. Some of the songs are longer, different vocal takes were used etc. So its technically not the original album. I view it more as a modern take on the album.

The SACD is THE version to have as far as owning a definitive copy of the album. Since it contains the original Stereo mix. At least Virgin is nice enough to keep both mixes in print, so fans can pick which they prefer. Im a bit of a purist, so I prefer the original album over the remix.

Skwege said:

With all due respect, you're joking right?

Real Life is an okay album. However its nowhere near the quality of the previous albums when Michael MacNeil was with the group.

No, I'm not joking....I like NewGold Dream and Sparkle In The Rain a whole lot, but there is no 1-2-3 punch like "Real Life", "See The Lights" and "Let There Be Love", in my opinion.

80sU2isBest said:

No, I'm not joking....I like NewGold Dream and Sparkle In The Rain a whole lot, but there is no 1-2-3 punch like "Real Life", "See The Lights" and "Let There Be Love", in my opinion.

I wont disagree about those songs being good, along with "Banging On The Door".

However the 1-2-3 punch of Up On The Catwalk, Book of Brilliant Things, and Speed Your Love To me blows away those three songs on "Real Life"

Skwege said:

I wont disagree about those songs being good, along with "Banging On The Door".

However the 1-2-3 punch of Up On The Catwalk, Book of Brilliant Things, and Speed Your Love To me blows away those three songs on "Real Life"

New Gold Dream is a classic from start to finish, one of my top 10 all-time

cardosino said:

New Gold Dream is a classic from start to finish, one of my top 10 all-time

You're not going to find any argument from me.
Hunter And The Hunted is one of the best songs of that time period.

Don't know how I missed this thread. Two of my favorite bands. Bet you don't know wich one I like better.

In my opinion, one of the biggest breaks U2 ever received was when first Derek and finally Mick left the band. Whether they admit it or not, Simple Minds WAS U2's biggest rival, competitor, whatever you want to call them.

It sucks knowing that I will probably never see the Minds in their "classic lineup", but that's cool. I have videos and countless bootlegs. Plus, they are still creating music.

I went to Phoenix 1 with a buddy who is a casual U2 fan and he knows my passion for Simple Minds. He absolutley went apeshit throughout the show. After Zoo Station, in the middle GA, he turned to me and said, " great show, but I bet it's no Simple Minds." He's right.

Long live Simple Minds

beli: did you hear the minds new radio song for the new album called "stay visible" yet? i think its only been played on british radio so far. but people on that substitute Minds forum put it up online and it sounds great!! better than U2's "bomb"

Is this a we love simple minds thread? tried to hard to be a stadium rock band when really syntheisizers dominate the sound particuarly in their early work. And when you compare Charlie Burchill to The Edge in the rock stakes, no contest. In the mid 80s there was always this misconception that if you like U2 well then you must like Simple Minds , much preferred Big Country, a great live band at their peak in the mid 80s - Stuart Adamson RIP and thanks for providing great, inspiring music.

Back
Top Bottom