shouldn't solar be out today?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2girl said:
Interesting way of showing it, then.

not really. it's called "being human."

generally, when i'm dissapointed in something, i'll talk about it. it's better than bottling it in.

to be honest, i have less respect for the people here that are extremely pissed about the delay, but refuse to say anything about it because they feel like as a U2 fan, they're not allowed to say anything negative about the band.

for the record, i'm not accusing anyone in the above paragraph. i have no clue of knowing if anyone here fits that description or not.

if someone is mad that they have to wait longer for an album they think will be great, then of course they will drool over it when it is finally released

The difference between ATYCLB and Solar, Oct 2000 - Fall 2004. That will be the same time difference as between Boy and Unforgettable Fire. Oct 1980 - Oct 1984. Only difference is that there were two studio and one live album in between. Just an interesting fact. I know that the older bands get the longer it takes. I respect that, and I know that with as much time and care as they've put into it, it'll be great.

Also, this album has not taken 4 years to make. The Elevation tour ended in Dec of 2001, and they started right after that. So they've been working on it for a little over two years. Now some say that it's finished, some say it's not. But if it comes out this fall then U2 will have probably spent 2 and a half years working on this album. Long time, no doubt. Hopefully the next album won't be as big of a wait.

mikal said:
not at all. if anything, it shows how passionate some of us are about U2. we wouldn't be pissed that it's taking so long if we didn't love the band. it doesn't mean we're backstabbing the band. we're just voicing our dissapointments and concerns about the current state of U2. nothing wrong with that.

HOLY COW!! Is this Wire again??? (shudder).

I suggest you get out and enjoy some fresh air and sunshine and take a break from the net.

:macdevil:

*Wolverine* said:

HOLY COW!! Is this Wire again??? (shudder).

I suggest you get out and enjoy some fresh air and sunshine and take a break from the net.

:macdevil:

uh.......ok?

*takes a walk outside*

it's fucking cold outside.

The_acrobat said:
Also, this album has not taken 4 years to make. The Elevation tour ended in Dec of 2001, and they started right after that. So they've been working on it for a little over two years. Now some say that it's finished, some say it's not. But if it comes out this fall then U2 will have probably spent 2 and a half years working on this album. Long time, no doubt. Hopefully the next album won't be as big of a wait.

Finally someone sheds the light on the truth. It'll be 4 years since studio album releases, but not 4 years making the damn album....geeeezzzz.:der:

mikal said:

not really. it's called "being human."

generally, when i'm dissapointed in something, i'll talk about it. it's better than bottling it in.

to be honest, i have less respect for the people here that are extremely pissed about the delay, but refuse to say anything about it because they feel like as a U2 fan, they're not allowed to say anything negative about the band.

for the record, i'm not accusing anyone in the above paragraph. i have no clue of knowing if anyone here fits that description or not.

If you aren't talking about anyone specific, then why did you bring it up in the first place? It's funny talking about people not being allowed to say anything negative, because that has never been stopped or censored in any way - though it does get annoying when the same things are repeated for the x-th time.

Right - not to complain about something over and over again just because you CAN means you're bottling it in. Being passionate about something doesn't equal cranking up the negativity when something you don't like happens. My impression about music fans is that they focus on the good things about their favorite bands, and are able to get past anything negative and let their bands get away with things they otherwise would not.

I'm sure no one here is exactly throwing a party over the album delay, but they most likely have good reason(s) they didn't release it yet. It wouldn't be fair from them to put out something unfinished, just like it's not fair that some people have the urge to doom the band and the album in some sort of pre emptive strike attitude - fans, even. And it's not like U2 has always pumped out albums at a 2 year rate and this is the first wait.

It would be nice if the "some people can't say anything critical of the band" mantra would be dropped, too. I'm sure it would be very hard to find a fan of any band - with U2 it may be even easier than most bands, since they tried so many different things - that likes and approves every single thing they do. There's a difference between constructive critisism and the ways the current delay (or the last album, for that matter) have been dealt with on this forum.

did anybody else notice that the three first letters in boycott spell the name of u2's debut album? fascinating :heart:

U2girl :up:

I agree 100% with everything you said

personally I don't care when this album will be released
I listen to so many different artists that it just doesn't matter to me
it just never ceases to amaze me when (especially on a fan forum) being negative all the time is being regarded honest and realistic while remaining positive in why you love the band in the first place is frowned upon as hopelessly naive and void of any criticism

on a side note
to compare the wait for this album (on which NO release date has ever even be suggested by anyone in the band or its management as far as I'm aware of) with when the band started always amuses me
when Boy was released I was out of kindergarten for a year or 2
when ATYCLB was released I was working as an accountant for a year or 2
it would be fair to say that my life has changed somewhat in those years
perhaps things also changed for U2 in the meantime
though I don't doubt that's just me being hopelessly naive and void of any criticism

see, i dont understand how a fan could say they dont care at all when a new album will be released

as a fan im thirsty for new u2 music all the time, because i think they put out the best music of anyone. i know its not possible to have new music all the time, but hey the sooner the better in my books

to say, i dont care if they dont release another album for say another 10 years is just weird to me, how could you not care if your favorite band wont release an album for 10 years?

also, i dont see how being disappointed with a delay should be considered "negative"

we love the band and love their music and so we are disappointed we have to wait longer for it, how is that negative

its better than saying, "u2? their music sucks, they could delay the new album forever for all i care" i see that as negative

U2girl said:

If you aren't talking about anyone specific, then why did you bring it up in the first place? It's funny talking about people not being allowed to say anything negative, because that has never been stopped or censored in any way - though it does get annoying when the same things are repeated for the x-th time.

i brought it up because i've seen people like this in the past. i find that more annoying than anything. U2, like us are only human too. U2, like all of us, can be subjected to criticism. this particular issue is all hypothetical. i was just defending my right to criticize if i want to, and i know it has never been censored. i never said it was censored, and i wasn't complaining about it being censored. i was just talking about people's displeasure with some people's posts expressing dissapointment with the band. let's stay on topic here.

Right - not to complain about something over and over again just because you CAN means you're bottling it in. Being passionate about something doesn't equal cranking up the negativity when something you don't like happens. My impression about music fans is that they focus on the good things about their favorite bands, and are able to get past anything negative and let their bands get away with things they otherwise would not.

and this is certainly a matter of difference of opinion.

example, i'm a huge green bay packer fan. if they turn the ball over 6 times in a game, am i supposed to just sit there and smile? no. i'm angry because i love the team and i want them to win! if i were to just sit there and smile when in reality, i'm pissed off, that would be bottling it in. does it make sense now?

I'm sure no one here is exactly throwing a party over the album delay, but they most likely have good reason(s) they didn't release it yet. It wouldn't be fair from them to put out something unfinished, just like it's not fair that some people have the urge to doom the band and the album in some sort of pre emptive strike attitude - fans, even. And it's not like U2 has always pumped out albums at a 2 year rate and this is the first wait.

and i totally agree with you here. my biggest complaint is that U2 said publicly that they were going to release an album in the next year back in 2001, to "keep the momentum going." so that's why i'm dissapointed. do i dislike the members of the band because of it? no. but i am dissapointed.

It would be nice if the "some people can't say anything critical of the band" mantra would be dropped, too. I'm sure it would be very hard to find a fan of any band - with U2 it may be even easier than most bands, since they tried so many different things - that likes and approves every single thing they do. There's a difference between constructive critisism and the ways the current delay (or the last album, for that matter) have been dealt with on this forum.

i can honestly say that i have not seen anyone here that only says "negative" things about the band. if you search interference, you will find that many of the people who have voiced their displeasure have also taken part in positive threads like voting for their favorite song, or reliving good tour memories. so don't judge a book by its cover. just because someone might make one "negative" post about U2, it doesn't mean all of their posts are "negative."

Um, we were/are on topic - I didn't steer away with the "bottling it in" tangent but nevermind.
I don't see why being displeased with reading negative comments on our favorite band is in any way worse than posting those negative comments.

Erm, not really because I'm not that familiar with baseball rules. :shrug: No one said you had to smile if your team plays bad, but one said you have to let everyone know you're mad either. What good will it do to you, or them? Curse if it makes you feel better, but don't go on a 15 minute rant. I'm sure the team already feel bad enough about their game without masses of fans yelling at them - say something like "Go packers!" instead.
I mean, if their own fans stop supporting the team, who will support them? Isn't the point of being a fan standing by your team even - or especially - when they're not doing great?

Ah, the old "U2/Bono said this and that." argument. They say a lot of things - not every one of them has to come true. All plans can change, and while they may have planned to make a quick album after the tour, it just didn't happen that way. Again, what is the point in chewing on that all this time?

I recall quite a few angry posts - a lot of the time from the same people, too. It was NOT just one angry post - that was the point.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Um, we were/are on topic - I didn't steer away with the "bottling it in" tangent but nevermind.
I don't see why being displeased with reading negative comments on our favorite band is in any way worse than posting those negative comments.

i never said it was. i'm just saying that people who are unhappy with the current situation are allowed to say so if they want to.

Erm, not really because I'm not that familiar with baseball rules. :shrug: No one said you had to smile if your team plays bad, but one said you have to let everyone know you're mad either. What good will it do to you, or them? Curse if it makes you feel better, but don't go on a 15 minute rant. I'm sure the team already feel bad enough about their game without masses of fans yelling at them - say something like "Go packers!" instead.

lol. packers are football. but i forgive you, you're not from america, so you shouldn't be expected to know who they are. my bad.

actually going on a 15 minute rant does make me feel better. remember, everyone deals with dissapointment differently. that's what makes an individual. each individual shall be able to express their dissapointment in the way that makes them feel better, unless it involves going on a killing spree or something. realistically, if i were to shout "go packers" at the stadium, after 6 turnovers, i'd either be beaten up, or committed to a mental hospital. trust me on this one!

Ah, the old "U2/Bono said this and that." argument. They say a lot of things - not every one of them has to come true. All plans can change, and while they may have planned to make a quick album after the tour, it just didn't happen that way. Again, what is the point in chewing on that all this time?

well, i can't speak for everyone, so i'll just speak for myself here. i'm don't express my dissapointments to prove a point, or to impress anyone. i express them because this is a internet forum, where discussing U2 is the primary purpose. so basically, i'm just taking part in discussion.

I recall quite a few angry posts - a lot of the time from the same people, too. It was NOT just one angry post - that was the point.

you're right. i should revise my past statement: just because someone makes some "negative" posts about U2 doesn't mean all their posts are "negative."

no harm done

mikal said:

i never said it was. i'm just saying that people who are unhappy with the current situation are allowed to say so if they want to.

Of course they are, I just don't understand the shock those people get when others are unhappy with them! You know? It should go both ways.

lol. packers are football. but i forgive you, you're not from america, so you shouldn't be expected to know who they are. my bad.

actually going on a 15 minute rant does make me feel better. remember, everyone deals with dissapointment differently. that's what makes an individual. each individual shall be able to express their dissapointment in the way that makes them feel better, unless it involves going on a killing spree or something. realistically, if i were to shout "go packers" at the stadium, after 6 turnovers, i'd either be beaten up, or committed to a mental hospital. trust me on this one!

Well, this point probably would work for any sport. Yeah, you can react any way you want, but like you said consider others - and the team. I know some people don't respond well to yelling or name calling.
Ok, so "go packers" may be used more if the team is doing well and I see how that may piss off the really emotional spectators - how about a "come on!" or two, then? At the risk of sounding girly, it's just a sport...not the end of the world ;)

well, i can't speak for everyone, so i'll just speak for myself here. i'm don't express my dissapointments to prove a point, or to impress anyone. i express them because this is a internet forum, where discussing U2 is the primary purpose. so basically, i'm just taking part in discussion.

I don't have that intention either - it's just odd to see so much negativity in a fan forum.

Last edited:
"Well, this point probably would work for any sport. Yeah, you can react any way you want, but like you said consider others - and the team. I know some people don't respond well to yelling or name calling.
Ok, so "go packers" may be used more if the team is doing well and I see how that may piss off the really emotional spectators - how about a "come on!" or two, then?"

but you see, my point is that a "come on!" or two wouldn't make me feel better. like i said before, everyone reacts to dissapointment differently.

and really, if you wanted to see negativity towards the band, go start a U2 thread at a Henry Rollins fan forum. anything said here is minor compared to what you'd see there.

so basically, this is a dead issue.

:shrug: But a 15 minute rant won't help anyone (except maybe you), whereas a "come on" atittude may benefit to the team. You did go to the game to support them, after all.

A Rollins fan forum is different than this place. I'd expect to see negativity there, because he is a known U2 (Bono) hater. I don't see how this comparison works.

U2girl said:
:shrug: But a 15 minute rant won't help anyone (except maybe you), whereas a "come on" atittude may benefit to the team. You did go to the game to support them, after all.

A Rollins fan forum is different than this place. I'd expect to see negativity there, because he is a known U2 (Bono) hater. I don't see how this comparison works.

i don't think any members of the packers could here me yell "come on" from the stands, unless they have K-9 hearing.

my comparison to a rollins board was to show you that it's not as bad here as it could be.

Assuming you're close enough so they'd hear you. :shrug: Wear a sign? :)

Things could be worse, but coming to another board and supporting their "arch enemy" in public is just plain asking for trouble - not that firing away instead of keeping it cool is necessary a good reaction.
Or posting negative posts just to piss people off (that DID happen on this board, and if I know jick it will continue). It can get pretty hot here - and I don't mean that in a Nelly kind of way - FYM, for example.

so take off all your clothes?:wink:

well, let's not talk about the packers anymore, i'm still bitter from their playoff loss.

well, if jick is posting what he truly feels then what's the problem? again, this is a forum, where everyone is allowed to express their OWN opinion. anything else would be uncivilized.

:lol:

Well it is a problem because he rarely has proof to back up his claims and he constantly bashes the band - I honesty can only recall one occasion where he had something good to say about them, not anywhere, but at a fan forum where generally there's supposed to be positive posts. Ok, do it once, do it twice, but enough is enough - stirring things up is not approved if I'm not mistaken, and can lead to sanctions by the mod.

Last edited:
hmm.....well once again, i guess it's just a difference of opinion. i've never had a problem with jick's posts. if anything, i find many of them quite funny.

though i'm known for finding funny that most people don't, so.......

how does a team give up a first down on a 4th and 23 when a stop would send them to the conference championship

thats gotta hurt

so what im getting from all this is we should just be saying positive things like, Come On, U2! which would help them record the album?

yeah, chizip, it was hard to say, "come on, packers!!!!!1111one" after 4th and 26, lol.

Chizip said:
so what im getting from all this is we should just be saying positive things like, Come On, U2! which would help them record the album?
anyone can be as critical about U2 as they want as long as it makes sense

it just doesn't make sense to get mad because of an album not being released when you want it to
no matter how many times one repeats this
it doesn't really make sense to say that it's taking them a long time to release this album because of the time in between their first 3 albums instead of their last 3 albums

if this was an american football forum then I wouldn't even mind stuff about U2 not making sense
but at a U2 forum it seems a tad odd to me
and when I say "a tad odd" I mean "odd"

on a personal level I don't really care
as a mod I find it annoying that some people don't even want to talk about U2 anymore over here because we're not able to have a discussion about anything without it ending in people feeling that the constant criticism kills the fun

Last edited:
Salome said:

as a mod I find it annoying that some people don't even want to talk about U2 anymore over here because we're not able to have a discussion about anything without it ending in people feeling that the constant criticism kills the fun

i find that hard to believe. maybe this forum has a negative tone lately. but the new album was delayed!!! of course that will create a negative feeling!

but reading EYKIW, it seems, along with the rest of interference, generally positive.

not to sound mean, but i think some people need to grow spines.

I won't get into the whole "no, the album wasn't delayed since there never was a release date set" arguement again, since that seems to be a personal opinion

perhaps some people should grow more of a spine
but as the situation is now too many people avoid discussions about U2

the amount of people posting in EYKIW is deplorable considering the amount of members we've got
I know that has mostly to do with Interference over time evolving into a meeting place for U2 fans instead of a place to talk about U2
but I've also heard too many times that people just get put off by the entire vibe
spineless or not, a U2 forum should be the place where one can declare his/her love for U2 without feeling like they have to constantly justify their love for the band
and too often it doesn't feel like that

Back
Top Bottom