Should U2 release a "for serious fans only" collection through mainstream channels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Should U2 release a "for serious fans only" collection through mainstream channels?

U2 have released compilations for the fans - but only though their fan club - namely Melon and Hasta La Vista. U2 also released "7" but only through Target stores.

If you look at other bands such as Bon Jovi (One Million Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong, One Wild Night), Nirvana (their most recent boxed set), Depeche Mode (remixes), New Order (The Rest Of New Order), Van Halen (in the early 90's with Right Here Right Now Live), Rush (different stages) - they are releasing through mainstream channels either b-side/unreleased work or live compilations which are mainly for "serious fan" consumption only (as opposed to a Best Of collection).

These releases surely will not do any damage to the charts whatsoever. They are for the fans but released to make it more accessible to all (and not just fan club members). U2 somewhat did it through the b-side compilations in their two best ofs but these were limited releases nevertheless - so it doesn't really quality.

Now my question: is it high time for U2 to release a boxed set of rare demo/unreleased tracks and/or live tracks spanning their career?

I think there are pros and cons to this.

PROS: Fans benefit immensely, U2 rebuilds semi-broken relationship with fans

CONS: Poor sales figures (bad for the band image), perception that U2 are retireable, public will see U2's "substandard" work that didn't make the grade (again bad for the image)

It seems the cons are mostly image related while the pros are just fan-focused. U2 will have to balance their image and public perception (which they have managed so well up to this day) with their thoughtfulness towards their fans.

Personally, I think they should go for a boxed set and call it - U2: The Rest Of 1980-2000. Sounds good to me.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

J

I think I made this topic like a year ago... haha. Sorta like Springsteen's tracks. I'd buy it. But honesty how could you consider like poor sales... look at the sales for the Target Exclusive CD. Did they get anywhere and left people saying "Dear god... their over!"

Re: Should U2 release a "for serious fans only" collection through mainstream channels?

jick said:
If you look at other bands such as Bon Jovi (One Million Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong, One Wild Night), recent
:madspit:

Anyway, I do agree with you actually Jick! I'd love to see such a collection released...:drool:

I want a real nineties B-side collection (no fucking remixes), the rest of the eighties B-sides (no fucking edits), and some more unfinished songs (no fucking iTunes). But it doesn't look likely right now.

typhoon said:
I want a real nineties B-side collection (no fucking remixes), the rest of the eighties B-sides (no fucking edits), and some more unfinished songs (no fucking iTunes). But it doesn't look likely right now.

I'm not exactly talking about exclusively b-sides. I think there should be unreleased material (not just the handful given to us in iTunes) and unreleased but recorded live shows (King Biscuit Flower Hour, countless BBC sessions, etc.). Perhaps they can fit all of this in one boxed set.

Cheers,

J

Re: Should U2 release a "for serious fans only" collection through mainstream channels?

jick said:
PROS: Fans benefit immensely, U2 rebuilds semi-broken relationship with fans

What?! The 'fans' would just bitch about how it's overpriced and U2 has sold out and they already own all this crap in MP3. :wink:

I would buy it, though.

Any Cure fans around here? If U2 were to release something along the lines of "Join the Dots," that would be f'ing brilliant.

Jick, you should really stop comparing U2 to that piece of trash called Bon Jovi. Every guy who calls his greatest hits collection "One Million Fans Can't Be Wrong" is a complete idiot. And the music sucks.
About the suggestion, it could work. But in the case of U2, I kinda doubt it.

Yes an excellent idea and I would buy it, and would give me an excellent chance to moan about how much it would cost heheh.:wink:

djerdap said:
Jick, you should really stop comparing U2 to that piece of trash called Bon Jovi. Every guy who calls his greatest hits collection "One Million Fans Can't Be Wrong" is a complete idiot. And the music sucks.
About the suggestion, it could work. But in the case of U2, I kinda doubt it.

It wasn't a greatest hits collection.
And what about 50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong?
:wink:

why not release to store the "Rare and Unrealeased" tracks from the iTunes' "complete U2" boxet"? ...or a boxet with ALL the B-sides (i mean original songs and cover NOT the remixes) + the "rare and Unreleased" + the radio edited versions of the singles (for example Lemon, Please, WGRYWH etc)? i'd be more than happy to pay even a lot of money for a thing like this

Jick, you are losing your touch, this is a dull old thread mate... Where's the controversy, where's the disagreements and sarcasm, come on where is the real Jickster???!!!

boystupidboy said:
Hope they save that sort of thing until afterthey retire.Atleast it will give me something to keep me going after they stop making new music:sad:

I agree.

I don't think U2 need to do this now. I'd much rather wait until a few years down the line and the band are in semi-retirement.

Also, I think that U2 have said and done enough to fix their "relationship" with us fans.

Hey I could do it myself...

All the b-sides from the 80's&90's, the early, UF, and War demos, the 7 disc AB sessions, a soundboard concert from each tour...sell it on ebay, make a killing. But seriously, I think it would be great, and unlike the lossy iTunes ripoff it would be cd quality and worth buying even if I already had half the stuff in it. Something I hope ot see, along with the dvd bosed set I keep hearing rumours about.

CTU2fan said:
Hey I could do it myself...

...the 7 disc AB sessions...

:yikes: you don't know what you're talkin about :yikes: 4 of the7 discs are pure torture (4 discs of drum beats is too much...really)

jick said:
I'm not exactly talking about exclusively b-sides. I think there should be unreleased material (not just the handful given to us in iTunes) and unreleased but recorded live shows (King Biscuit Flower Hour, countless BBC sessions, etc.). Perhaps they can fit all of this in one boxed set.
It could probably be split between:
  • Released but somewhat rare B-sides, soundtrack songs, and so forth
  • Remixes (dance mixes, alternate versions, and slightly different mixes like the two versions of "Angel of Harlem")
  • Previously unreleased songs (a là Unreleased and Rare)
  • Early versions and demos of released songs
  • Live material
The way the Beatles handled it was releasing all the previously released non-album tracks on two Past Masters volumes (of course, stuff like "She Loves You" and "Hey, Jude" is far more essential than "Race Against Time" and "Holy Joe").

Then the three Anthology volumes were something of a hodgepodge of the last three things (the Beatles didn't do much touring, obviously, so they were mostly studio recordings).

Nirvana didn't have a very long run, so they pretty much knocked out all five things on one three-disc box set. They also had a DVD, but although video content is cool, I'd usually rather have another disc of audio.

The difference with both of these analogues is that U2 has way more unreleased and rare material available. I know it isn't all extraordinary stuff (I'd say there's less than a disc of worthwhile songs on the entire Salome Outtakes boot), but it's still nearly thirty years of tape.

The worst way of going about it would be to mix the rarities with common stuff (like the Doors did with their box set). But I love strictly rarities releases. Even the ones that suck are pretty good if you're a completist.

I'm sure it's commercially viable, and I doubt the conservative sales would hurt them at all (box sets aren't expected to be big sellers).

The bigger questions are would they do it and would they do it right. The two Best Ofs indicate the band has turned a revisionist eye to its past (e.g., the lack of anything from October properly on the 80s compilation, the remixes and ATYCLB songs on the 90s compilation).

Not to mention that they still think we like remixes. Not only did they botch the 90s B-side disc this way, but Unreleased and Rare was half remixes too.

Last edited:
boystupidboy said:
Hope they save that sort of thing until afterthey retire.Atleast it will give me something to keep me going after they stop making new music:sad:

^
I agree with this. I don't want a collection until we've had all of their work.

Back
Top Bottom