Should U2 just get over trying to compete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone has an opinion, could be right or wrong, leveled or extreme, shared o not, modern or ancient.................but please, don't start with this usual "bashing down someone" when it comes to criticize someone's opinions. There's kinda of unwritten rule here, when someone talks "shit" (and, who can prove this??), immediately masses of insults rain down (from the same ones who talk then about peace and love, freedom of speech and so on.......) Once one begins, all the others hang on like goats. Someone who doesn't like U2 may not listen to them, clear, but also, don't leave your comment when you think it's "stupid thread" Ain't it easy? Or just put it on irony, but don't become offensive...............This is becoming sick, frankly, not so called "silly threads"...........................

CrashedCarDriver said:
against the likes of justin timberlake and nickelback

and stop making "coca cola radio-friendly unit shifters"!

there was a time when u2 made an album that was not the typical u2 album

case and point: Zooropa

the album Pop had elements and aspects of u2 songs with guitar hooks and there were song structures built like a typical u2 song and all that

but Zooropa did not follow a typical any 'formula', it sounded weird, and INTERESTING!

atyclb and htdaab were so generic it showcased exactly what a band sounds like when they hit a mid/ late career lull. in that there arent any original ideas thrown in, just make each song sound like the same the excuse being for variety in: 'we make slow songs, and we make fast songs'

puh-lease!!

if anything i want to point out depeche mode when they released playing the angel, an album that truly shocked saying 'fck! mid career mediocrity!' when 'a pain im used to' blasted out loudly. ok, that album had a lot of 'typical' depeche mode sounding songs, but there was just that energy. eg songs like 'the sinner in me' that attracts the weirdos, goths and freaks, and makes that band ageless.

u2 is selling music for housewives vacuuming the house! and middle aged people telling their kids what great music u2 is/was!

I think the last two albums have been fantastic. Perhaps the style is not to many people's liking, but the music in the writing has been fantastic. Album sales have been through the roof, and the two albums won a collective 15 GRAMMY awards which is certainly a record for two consecutive albums.

I think Miracle Drug and "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own" are two of the 10 greatest songs U2 have ever recorded. Kite and "Walk On" easily make my U2 top 20 of all time as well.

Overall, I'd put the "BOMB" album just behind the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. All That You Can't Leave Behind, I would put behind those albums plus the Unforgettable Fire. Still up near the top though.

As much as I love Zooropa, the only U2 album it really beats is October. POP is roughly in the middle at #7 or #8. A Great album that U2 never finished recording. Perhaps they will re-record it one day.

The news I have read about this next album sounds very interesting. It looks like they may revisit some of the sounds they worked with in the 90s and mix with something new, but without being too foreign from what they have recorded this decade. Thats a tall order for one album, but I think U2 will pull it off. They all say they are still trying to make the perfect album.

i wish people who complained about post 2000 u2 actually did it in a way that wasn't embarassing to those of who think u2's music lately (and image for that matter) is a shadow of its former self.

a lot of people liked me in high school, which made me popular, which made some people not like me very much.

Zoomerang96 said:
i wish people who complained about post 2000 u2 actually did it in a way that wasn't embarassing to those of who think u2's music lately (and image for that matter) is a shadow of its former self.

So how is U2 doing in Slovakia, post 2000?

i have no idea, really. i've only lived here for a little over two months.

i'm pretty sure noone buys albums though, as i haven't found a single record store in this entire country.

Zoomerang96 said:

:up:

Zoomerang96 said:
i have no idea, really. i've only lived here for a little over two months.

i'm pretty sure noone buys albums though, as i haven't found a single record store in this entire country.

You've only lived there for a little over 2 months and have searched the entire country already??? ;)

As for the original poster... dude, forget it! I agree with you to an extent but you're not gonna find much support for that kind of opinion in this forum.

CrashedCarDriver said:
against the likes of justin timberlake and nickelback

and stop making "coca cola radio-friendly unit shifters"!

there was a time when u2 made an album that was not the typical u2 album

case and point: Zooropa

the album Pop had elements and aspects of u2 songs with guitar hooks and there were song structures built like a typical u2 song and all that

but Zooropa did not follow a typical any 'formula', it sounded weird, and INTERESTING!

atyclb and htdaab were so generic it showcased exactly what a band sounds like when they hit a mid/ late career lull. in that there arent any original ideas thrown in, just make each song sound like the same the excuse being for variety in: 'we make slow songs, and we make fast songs'

puh-lease!!

if anything i want to point out depeche mode when they released playing the angel, an album that truly shocked saying 'fck! mid career mediocrity!' when 'a pain im used to' blasted out loudly. ok, that album had a lot of 'typical' depeche mode sounding songs, but there was just that energy. eg songs like 'the sinner in me' that attracts the weirdos, goths and freaks, and makes that band ageless.

u2 is selling music for housewives vacuuming the house! and middle aged people telling their kids what great music u2 is/was!
Very much agreed. The only thing is that I feel Zooropa was lazy. They may have worked hard for 6 weeks, but it was only those weeks. They should have worked much harder to bring out proper melodies. The only songs that are decent to me are Numb, Stay and especially Lemon. Everything else was okay filler.

Achtung Baby is more the type of album that comes out of ambitious experimentation without concern for the mainstream.

U2's attempts to create a Beatles-type legacy and self-consciously appeal to the mainstream are the death of them -- if not commercially, then definitely artistically. Imagine if U2 decided that they didn't want to do "The Fly", but wanted something to be played a ton and used the success of Rick Astley as a role model, just as they did Britney Spears with ATYCLB. You see where I'm going with this. Popularity doesn't mean quality, and U2 have gotten very confused with artistic priorities. They've placed bigness and cheap ambition ahead of creating innovative music.

Radiohead are more U2 than U2!

The band needs to get back to what made them great, and stop worrying about bellweather fans and Grammys, whose applause are almost inversely related to the quality of U2's work; the worse U2 does, the more Grammy attention they get.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Should U2 just get over trying to compete

Muldfeld said:

Very much agreed. The only thing is that I feel Zooropa was lazy. They may have worked hard for 6 weeks, but it was only those weeks. They should have worked much harder to bring out proper melodies. The only songs that are decent to me are Numb, Stay and especially Lemon. Everything else was okay filler.

Numb sucks and Lemon's overrated. Zooropa and The First Time were the two best tracks.

mikal said:
a lot of people liked me in high school, which made me popular, which made some people not like me very much.

Funny how that works.

I think U2 should stop competing, and just declare that they've won. Then if anybody challenges them they can simply say, "Nah, too late. We're not competing anymore as we've already won." It's a flawless plan. And everyone wins. Funny how that works.

Beav, never come back to this forum. Unless you actually, you know, listen to U2 for once or something.

STFU.

Your advice needs to step it's game up.

Your advice needs to get fired up for its opponents.

Your advice needs to prepare itself better.

phillyfan26 said:
STFU.

Your advice needs to step it's game up.

Your advice needs to get fired up for its opponents.

Your advice needs to prepare itself better.

My advice is at the top of it's game.

My advice is both consistent and hard working. It is the consummate professional.

My advice is the best....AROUND. No one can ever keep it down. Again: It's the best....AROUND. No one can ever keep it down.

A valid point. Well met.

I like the interference is adopting an "English Throughout" policy. It will really come in handy later in life.

And I don't think you need the apostrophe in "fuck-o's."

No spoken words said:
Fuck, do you need Justin's professor to write you a letter (hehe).

"lik woah lolz i dont wanna hafta fail you cuz you should trie harder for sereal. your paper didnt have the perferations removed or anything WTF? lol you have like zero chances left so stop screwing up so much

sincerely

justin's english professer"

Re: Re: Re: Should U2 just get over trying to compete

phillyfan26 said:

Numb sucks and Lemon's overrated. Zooropa and The First Time were the two best tracks.
Totally agree. I only like First Time and Stay, I generally don't get the Zooropa Hype. I'd rather U2 made music that has heart and soul instead of tryting too hard to be innovative in this stage of their carreer.

Jeannieco said:
omg, the horse is dead already.

The horse died in like 2003.

And to the person who made this thread, I can't have a serious discussion with someone who's best description of Zooropa is "weird".

xaviMF22 said:

it came back to life after 2004 :wink:

it hasn't died :madspit:

So, as long as you can keep beating it, it's still alive? :wink:

Anyway, once U2 whips out their heavy metal Moroccan dance record, all will be well again. :happy:

If it wasn't for the Zoo TV era hype, Zooropa would probably tank as hard as Pop.
By far saved with Stay and the last three songs, and it has a great opener.

Back
Top Bottom