Should U2 follow in the footsteps of Linkin Park..?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animeavalanche

The Fly
Apparantly Linkin Park is going to be offering fans a chance to have a Digital Souvenir Pack from each night's show. Basically, when you purchase a ticket to their shows, u can also purchase the pack, and after the show you will receive an email with that night's show in a "great CD quality mix."

The question is, should U2 follow along with this idea, or should the tapers still continue to tape the shows.

Discuss :)

animeavalanche said:
Apparantly Linkin Park is going to be offering fans a chance to have a Digital Souvenir Pack from each night's show. Basically, when you purchase a ticket to their shows, u can also purchase the pack, and after the show you will receive an email with that night's show in a "great CD quality mix."

The question is, should U2 follow along with this idea, or should the tapers still continue to tape the shows.

Discuss :)

There was discussions about this idea before the start of the Vertigo Tour. I recall an interview with Adam for u2.com where he said they were looking into the idea of offering each or some selected concerts on iTunes for fans to download afterwards, obviously it never happened. We will see what happens for the next tour, I guess.

so then what about pearl jam? they offer/offered the same thing.

i think it's a great idea. good on linkin park, for once.

honestly, if a "good" band by many of your standards had done this, it'd be considered a great idea.

and it is.

Zoomerang96 said:
so then what about pearl jam? they offer/offered the same thing.

i think it's a great idea. good on linkin park, for once.

honestly, if a "good" band by many of your standards had done this, it'd be considered a great idea.

and it is.

Then U2 should follow Pearl Jam and NOT Linkin Park.

It'll never happen.

After all the talks, well even if it was just rumors pre-vertigo.....and nothing happened.

For Official Concert releases we're just going to have to put up with getting Vertigo from everything Hamish Hamilton directs.

because they'd rather release them all at christmas to capture the christmas market rush?

like with everything else they do?

Well, partly yes, but I think they're just too controlling, or too used to being in total control. The fear of bung notes and off nights would be too much. Plus yes, it dilutes the super premium special edition boxset in December.

Sure it'd go against their business model but its also yet another way for Paul McG to cash in.

Yes we all like bootlegs since you get them for free, but to purchase a selected highlight or shows you went to its a lot nicer, that's what I've done with Pearl Jam's system.

Umm...why no love for Linkin Park?? :shrug:

I hope U2 include a "making of" DVD with their new album like Linkin Park did. I really enjoyed that and made me appreciate their final songs even more.

powerhour24 said:
but its also yet another way for Paul McG to cash in.

This cracks me up. U2 could have easily done this last tour and decided not to for whatever reason, but when PJ does it no one says "another way for Eddie to cash in".

Not a bad idea at all! (But I don't think U2 should follow in the footsteps of anyband...like Linkin Park *smacks forehead)

The Sad Punk said:
Nobody should do what Linkin Park have ever done.

Brilliant. :wink: Print up some t-shirts, and you'd be in business!

I don't know about this particular plan, but I'd like to see U2 do something a little out of the ordinary next go-around. They are smart men, and I think they realize it's not going to be enough to release a good record, include a dodgy bonus DVD, make some crappy videos, and tour with a ellipse again. I expect something interesting in 08-09

U2_Neat said:
what's linkin park?

a park in new rochelle,ny with some pretty good basketball, a park in chicago, probably a park in springfield, ill (one would assume), and a mediocre rap/metal band that could be a lot better if they'd get rid of whitey trying to rap, because that chester guy is actually a pretty decent singer... but most on u2 boards won't admit to that.

and apparently they're taking an idea right out of the pearl jam playbook and someone thinks it's original.

so yea.

I like that new linkin park song that's on the radio, the one that came after the first single what i've done. The first time I heard it I was like, wow.. this song is actually good! And there's no whiny screaming! :ohmy:

Eazy-V said:

because they're completely and utterly awful

That says it all, I think.

I think the band, Edge especially, are control freaks too much to risk putting a less than perfect show out into the world this way. I like that Pearl Jam does it, and I think U2 has an equally loyal fan base to pull it off. If it were in some way connected to U2.com, though, I bet there would be loads of problems with it.

Back
Top Bottom