Should the next tour be U2's last? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2003, 12:38 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 05:01 PM
Should the next tour be U2's last?

I know, this question has been brought up before, but I was thinking...

Obviously, I'm speculating on a lot of dates here, but IF the new album does come out in early 2004, the tour would likely start late spring/early summer of that year. IF the album and tour are successful, it may last up to two years from start to finish (ZooTV did with about a 6 month break to record Zooropa). IF the tour did last that long, it would be over in mid 2006. At that point, members of the band are 45-46 years old.

So then they go away for 2-3 years (as they have been doing for the last decade or so) and by that time it is nearly 2010. Maybe another album comes out at that point, but by then the band is hitting their 50's.

Do they really go out and do another full blown tour at this point? If so, do they become the next Stones, touring late into their lives, to satisfy all us hard core fans? Or do they call it "quits" after this next tour, only to play the occasional special occasion/awards show/other misc. event from this point on?

Obviously, they will do whatever they want. But what do you think will/should happen?

Old 09-26-2003, 12:55 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:01 PM
as long as they don't sound like crap, i don't really care. if they're up on stage and can barely move around, and bono's sitting in a wheelchair or something, then they should give it up. but if they're still going strong, why not keep touring?

Old 09-26-2003, 01:56 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Having fun with the changing weather in Illinois...and wanting to meet Bono again. Please...for christ sakes call me Weldy!!!!
Local Time: 12:01 PM
I agree with IWasBored on this case. But I would like to add that it also may depend on the band itself. If it's their decision to make this or any other tour after this one their last, then by golly, it's their right to do so. But I agree with IWasBored for the most part.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:57 AM   #4
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Whatever makes them happy.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 09-26-2003, 02:11 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Whatever they decide, whenever they decide it is fine with me....but please, no stupid reunion tours way down the line, especially if one or more of the band members is dead/MIA.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:30 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

reunion tours are lame
Old 09-26-2003, 05:42 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:01 PM
I dunno...somehow I don't see them rocking away at 60+ or so. IMO they'll probably keep going till they're 50, then stop touring and focus on making albums.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:56 AM   #8
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:01 PM
yes, keep going as long as you enjoy and the quality is still there

the "age is nothing but a number" saying does count for some artists
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 09-26-2003, 07:33 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

They probably don't imagine themselves rocking away onstage past their 50s, but I reckon that's what they're thinking -now-,

If the desire and quality is still there, then why not.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:49 AM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor

bono's voice has already weakened a little... i dunno if he could go on for much more than 10 years or so without a nice good break to rest the ol' vox. i also don't think they'll ever go out on a 2 year straight tour again, for the same reasons... i dunno if bono's voice could handle it anymore. so to answer the question... no... springsteen can still do it into his 50's... so can u2. just don't over-do it with one huge 2 year massive tour... do a nice 1 year tour... take a break, maybe record another album, and then go out again.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:00 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
.. springsteen can still do it into his 50's...
This is what I was going to point out. Bruce is, what, 54? His last album was his best; I think his last tour was his best, and I've being going to Springsteen concerts since The River tour, which was at least 20 years ago. As long as they can keep rocking, the go ahead and record and then tour. What will worry me is if this next album has anymore Adult Contemporary crap on it like ATYCLB did. That will mean that they should pack it in. But if the new album does rock like B. says it does, then stay on the road as long as you want, boys!
Old 09-26-2003, 10:56 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 06:01 PM
no.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:09 AM   #13
Acrobat

Bono said: Maybe Ill be tired when Ill be 60. But U2 will still play until these times.

So, I dont think this is gonna be the last tour. Therell be another, and [that[/i] tour is gonna be the last. No, probably Bno wont be 60 but his current voice is becoming terrible...
Old 09-26-2003, 01:19 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:01 PM
pretty interesting considering it's widely regarded as one of their best works

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Adult Contemporary crap ATYCLB

Please not another album fight.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:26 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Normal

Okay I'm going to get mushy here. With all the shocking deaths lately, Cash of course, and Zevon, but also Ritter and now Robert Palmer who had seemed young and relatively healthy, I'll say, as long as they're still alive and able, I'll be happy to see whatever they can do for us at 60. It will never be crap to me.
Old 09-26-2003, 02:37 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:01 AM
Oh, yes, we ALL know that just because the members of a rock band are over 50 they should go hide somewhere and not be seen in public.

As long as U2 is still producing new material that people want to hear and they want to keep going on tour, I think they should.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:50 PM   #17
War Child

I think that as long as they can make people feel the emotional unity that I've heard so much about ( but have yet to experience- this is the tour!), they should go for it. Besides, I want to take my nephew when he's old enough. What a great first concert experience, eh?
Old 09-26-2003, 07:25 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

They say NOW that they don't wanna be touring when they're 60. But I'll bet you that when they are approaching 60, they won't be able to let the opportunity/challenge pass them by. You're only as old as you feel. If they still feel like performing at 60 and their star did not burn out, and the demand is still there, then why not? As long as they don't turn into the stones and regurgitate the same old songs into new ones, then there should be no problem. All I know is that I want to be attending U2 concerts for a long time. I forsee the tour beginning summer 2004, lasting maybe through mid 2005. The next album will probably be in late 2007, and the tour will be in 2008. They'll kinda do the 3.5 years between albums, which has been consistant for the past decade or more.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:48 PM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 10:01 AM
They'll go into their 50s no problem at all, they probably won't go longer than that. Like some of you said Springsteen can do it, U2 can definately do it.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:45 PM   #20
War Child

Location: with 2 kids in high school they tell her that she's uncool, but she's still preoccupied with 1985

Judging from past comments they've made about being mad people thinking they're old and need to buy a fish farm, etc., I would say that if anyone thinks they are too old and should give it up, they will be sure to keep rocking! Bono said it made him mad people thought older stars should stop. He said it's okay for writers and actors and some hit their peaks at middle age, so why rock stars? He said it's like they want you to die at 33, or just fuck off. Well, Bono and Larry said in so many words, "we're not fucking ANYWHERE!" It reminds me of what Steven Tyler said last year about how 'interesting' things get when you're a rock star and live past your predicted 'expiration date'