Should I buy October

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
October was the last one I bought. I say get it just to complete the collection. Tomorrow is a great song.

I listened to October yesterday. Great album. I played "Rejoice" twice. Now if they should bring back something from the vault, I say bring back that tune. That is real rocker. Larry is going crazy at the end.

i'd say get it - it fits in naturally between 'boy' and 'war', it's neat to hear the natural progression through those albums.
it has a few of my favorite tunes - 'rejoice' is every bit as good as everyone's saying, and i think 'i fall down' is fucking fantastic. 'scarlet' is great late at night, 'tomorrow' plays like a precursor to 'exit' - dark, brooding stuff - then explodes. :tongue:

While it doesn't have as many standout songs as some of the others, it's one of my favourite albums overall. It's certainly a better effort than Boy, War, R & H, and Zooropa...so why not?
You will be pleasantly surprised.

Yes. Get it, it is [in my OPINION] one of their best albums. Not to mention an important one that helped shape their sound for years to come!

I think it was the second/third U2 record I bought and I was NOT disappointed! You'll love it, ESPECIALLY if you're fond of the early stuff. I started my collection with 'All that you Can't Leave Behind', followed by 'The Best of 1980-90', then my Auntie heard I was into them at the time (2000) and just gave me the 'Red Rocks' video, I watched it...fell about in awe and got October immediately. :) It was NOT a disappointment.

Buy this album now!:rockon:

Gloria is just incredible. "With A Shout", "Rejoice", "Fire", October and TOMORROW are all amazing. TOMORROW is one of the greatest U2 songs of all time.

After getting the album, you'll want to get some October Tour Bootlegs. Berlin November 4, 1981 is outstanding and available on video PRO SHOT, if you do some searching. St. Patricks day in New York and a show on a Riverboat in New Orleans are also great. There is also a July 31, 1982 show on video as well of U2 playing in Newcastle England opening for the Police at Gateshead Stadium. All of these shows are fantastic!

First though, buy the album!

tarquinsuperb said:

Blasphemy!

War, overall, DOES sound dated - doesn't mean it's crap. I still love it. But cowbells (The Refugee), backing vocals by the Coconuts and other production on the album hasn't aged well. Still great songs.

The same goes with The Unforgettable Fire, particularly with the use of the Fairlight on the title track - that instrument was a bit of a fad in 84 to 86 and as a result the album feels like it's from that time musically. Pop, even though it's a great album, will suffer the same probably in 10 / 20 years time - it will sound very 1990s.

I think October is timeless - musically, lyrically and in it's production. The cover is an entirely diferent story! lol. Some people might like it, the cover - it looks very humble, non threatening - they don't look like mega stars in the making but apart from that I don't care for the cover.

October is one of my favourite albums. It really tugs at your emotions when you least expect it to. I highly recommend it.

October yeah! great album - U2's most rushed album as most songs werent written when they entered the studio (and they only had about 3 weeks to do the entire album) "info from Stories for Boys"
remarkably it sounds more driven than rushed
i threw a brick and stranger fav songs

i listen to october more than war and unforgettable fire

oh i thought on Tomorrow they were Ulliean pipes (sry about spelling) one of the 1st uses of the Irish pipes on a rock/pop album
BUY IT!
we're all here to do what we're all here to do

Marty

The worst of U2 is better then about 98 percent of stuff out their right now in my mind October is U2s worst but it is just as good and at points even better then the Franz Ferdinand album that gets such high praise.

Its about as good as Boy so if you like Boy youlle probably like October.

boystupidboy said:
Yep its defo the best drumming by Larry ,i've said it before ....
"bring your drumming back Larry i don't 'alf miss it"

I'm sure he'd like to! Unfortunately, his back won't agree. Poor Larry, he's got the face of a 25-year-old and the skeleton of a 90-year-old... :sigh:

Back OT, yes, go buy October. It's very underrated, with lots of beautiful songs like "Tomorrow" and the title track, and some serious rockers like "I Threw A Brick" and "Rejoice". You could probably find it cheap at a used CD store or pawn shop.

Last edited:
I bought the CD a couple weeks ago and it was good especially Tommorrow, With a Shout, Rejoice. Thanks

I thought the forums wouldn't let you post unless you owned every U2 LP. Like there was some sort of electronic zapping that would zap you because you weren't hardcore enough.

Of course buy October. Not my favourite disc by any means, but it is U2, afterall. All the cool people are listening to it.

Yeah, you should buy it. Gloria, Tomorrow, I Threw A Brick Through A Window, I Fall Down are all worthy buying the reocrd, plus Stranger In A Strange Land has one of U2's best intros in my opinion. Even if the record is not as good as the others it's a great look into that period of the band and and what they were coming up with after some more experience from Boy.

Trevophoria said:
I thought the forums wouldn't let you post unless you owned every U2 LP. Like there was some sort of electronic zapping that would zap you because you weren't hardcore enough.

Yeah. Actually during the registration process, they make you list out everything U2 related that you own. And if you don't include at least all the studio albums, they track you down, knock on your door and beat on your buttocks until submission.

Along with All that you can't leave behind, October is the most underrated of U2s albums on this forum.

For me the standouts are Tomorrow(one of U2s best songs ever), Scarlet:drool: and Gloria.

I found this review of October today in my town's high school newspaper:

U2 - October

U2 seems to have exploded all over the music world: They have their own iPod design; their recent CD, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" has sold over eight million copies worldwide; they will begin a worldwide tour in the spring; they will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 14; and they won three Grammys at the awards show on February 13, including Best Rock Song.

U2 has come a long way since 1981 when they released their second album "October". Although the CD lacks any number of well-known tracks, it demonstrates the passion and energy that has contributed to U2's worldwide success today. "October" has very little of the pop sound that their hits such as "I still haven't found what I'm looking for" and "Beautiful Day" have infused throughout them. At times the album can be noisy, but it holds a certain depth and emotion that is not found on their later tracks, such as "Vertigo".

It is easy to find overtly Christian lyrics, such as in "Tomorrow" and "With a Shout" and with a little digging the political statements can be heard on the tracks "Stranger in a Strange Land" and "I Fall Down". “I Fall Down” interestingly has similar lyrics to John Mellencamps' 1982 release of "Jack and Diane." Most of the lyrics on this album are filled with questions and uncertainty, and at times they are either repetitive or sparse, but for the most part it is just intriguing t'o listen to Bono before he became an icon.

Compared to their most recent works, drummer Larry Mullen and bassist Adam Clayton are heard more prominently on "October." The Edge changes the pace of this almost pure rock and roll album by adding in some piano lines to create upbeat ballads, which are heard primarily on the title track. Also, his powerful guitar playing smoothes out some of the choppiness. Certain parts of this actually sound as harsh and cruel as October weather, especially on the moors of Dublin.

Debuting in 1980 with the album "Boy", there is no question that U2 is an 80s band. Fans of their more popular work may not appreciate the roughness of this album; however, keep in mind that "October" effortlessly grows on the listener. For unwavering U2 fans, or anyone else interested in the evolution of music, "October" is a must listen because it so accurately portrays the evolution of amateurs to superstars.

:) It was written by someone in the Class of 2005.

Back
Top Bottom