Should Every Concert Close With '40'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Part of me wants to say 'no' simply for the sake of variety, but man--there's nothing like the way a show ends with '40'....the band leaving one-by-one, Larry last...the whole crowd singing as they make their way home....:drool:

Some of the magic would go off if people expected this to happen each and every night.

You meant to say Bad rather than 40. I never thought it'd be such a brilliant closer as it's proved to be. Awesome way to end a show.

Axver said:
You meant to say Bad rather than 40. I never thought it'd be such a brilliant closer as it's proved to be. Awesome way to end a show.

Yeah, Bad would rock as a closer. I actually saw it close a show this tour, but technically, the People Have The Power snippet closed...:sad: I wouldn't mind seeing it close in its pure form.

the best part of 40 is the crowd singing along walking out of the stadium etc., why not have the crowd do this before the 1st encore and save bad as the closer?

Bad was such an amazing closer. :heart:

it's fine to snippet 40 in Bad, but other songs work well too...we sang "people have the power" for a while after they left stage because that was the snippet, and it worked really well.

Every show should end with Vertigo after 40.

I don't think there's anything cooler than the beauty of 40 and the band leaving one by one and everyone thinking the show is over and then BAM! Vertigo.

Except I guess if they did that every show it wouldn't be unexpected anymore :wink:

I think every tour should have a different closer. The return to 40 was cool for this tour, but I think next tour should have a closer from the new album, if there's a song good enough to close (presumably the last song on the album?). Or a return to Walk On, actually, which is a fantastic closer. or Love is Blindness, what a closer that was :drool: or Streets. Has U2 ever closed a show with Streets? That would be interesting.

I think they should all end with Exit...... too literal? :wink:

Not that I'd mind hearing a concert with Exit one more time. :drool:

STREETS would be my favorite closer, because it would leave me on a high-note. :combust:

Gone should close. Not just for its title, either. Imagine Edge rocking the place out by extending the Gone solo. That'd be such an awesome way to go out.

AtomicBono said:
Every show should end with Vertigo after 40.

I don't think there's anything cooler than the beauty of 40 and the band leaving one by one and everyone thinking the show is over and then BAM! Vertigo.
hahah actually, now that you say it like that, i think that would rock!! no offense, but until I swa the Vertigo clip from Milan was i convinced that Vertigo as a closer wasn't a waste of a song.

when did they play Bad as a closer?

i personally REALLY REALLY like 40 as a closer, but of course that might change once I hear Bad as a closer ;]

I've seen Walk On close 4 times and "40" close once. The latter was just amazing, with the band dropping off one by one, leaving Larry on his own. I love when Larry stops drumming for a moment and then picks it back up again. I :heart: Bad. Bono pulled me on stage during this song at my very first U2 show. I would love to see this as a closer.

tuwie I think they closed with "Bad" a handful of times this tour, Once in Madison Square Garden... I'm not sure.

Axver said:
Gone should close. Not just for its title, either. Imagine Edge rocking the place out by extending the Gone solo. That'd be such an awesome way to go out.

:drool: you're so right.

i think 40 is the quintessential closer, but i don't think it should be used as the closer every night. the magic might wear off if it's used every night. i'd say i'd like it if maybe 60% of the shows closed with 40. the rest could close with bad, mayhaps? :hmm:

I still think that 40 is a great closer, but having seen an ending with vertigo, the intensity and high it sends you off on is amazing.

tuwie said:
when did they play Bad as a closer?

Live Aid. :wink:

It debuted as a full tour concert closer on 12 May 2005 and closed two more shows that month (I was there when they used it as a closer on 26 May and it was out of this bloody world). It was then used eleven times as a closer on the third leg - at one point, it was rotating with 40 as the closer, with 40 one night and Bad the next.

Axver, you must be great with mathematics. You are incredibly good with numbers. Do you have an inside source? How might I become as informed as you? :wink:

I'm not being sarcastic either, I truly envy your knowledge of U2 setlists!

I agree with maybe 50% of the time. Every time I hear the first notes of this song I feel so sad like I want to cry because it reminds me of shows I have been to when this IS the last song and so I know the show is over. :sad:

They closed my show with "Bad" when I definitely wanted '40.' Even though we techinically ended with "People Have The Power."

I missed "40" so much at my show, my only regret. Granted, I sang Bad all the way out the door too, but I missed that whole crowd unity I had heard so many people talk about. :sad:

I think either an acoustic or electric version of "Yahweh" would be great... especially when Bono sings "Take this city, take this city... and keep... it... safe"

A beautiful way to end the concert.

Start with COBL end with Yahweh.

Achtung_Bebe said:
Axver, you must be great with mathematics. You are incredibly good with numbers. Do you have an inside source? How might I become as informed as you? :wink:

I'm not being sarcastic either, I truly envy your knowledge of U2 setlists!

My source is www.u2-vertigo-tour.com (though I know about half of it by memory). Check out the 'tour history' section - there's a wealth of info.

I used to be great at mathematics. Top of the grade, couldn't get a question wrong, that sort of thing. Then I got the same awful teacher two years in a row. By the start of grade twelve, I didn't even care about maths any more, and I was passing these calculus units simply by natural ability - I didn't study, and my maths book was full of setlists and model railway plans rather than formulas and equations. So halfway through the year, I stopped wasting everyone's time and quit the subject entirely.

It's amazing just how important the quality of a teacher is. :sigh:

Axver said:
It's amazing just how important the quality of a teacher is. :sigh:
that is so true.

awww i'm sorry to hear that you were sooo good at it, but you quit! i hope you still remember some. even though it's not too practical, but it was something you were good at! =)

I hate full 40 as a closer because it's just so slow. Snippeting at the end of Bad is WAY better because Bad is just FANTASTIC!

The first concert I ever went to was 9/20 Chicago...and i just now had to check the setlist, because I knew they didn't technically close with "40" and I just discovered that I was at one of the bad closings...and really, it obviously wasn't all that memorable for me

12/10 Cleveland, that sort of different version of "40" they played, now that was just amazing.

Axver said:

My source is www.u2-vertigo-tour.com (though I know about half of it by memory). Check out the 'tour history' section - there's a wealth of info.

I had seen that site before & admire it greatly, but didn't realize you were affiliated. A similar thing happened to me in Math, only I wasn't one of those "couldn't get a question wrong" types. :wink: I had a feeling you were mathematically inclined, though.

bono_212 said:

12/10 Cleveland, that sort of different version of "40" they played, now that was just amazing.

mmm, can you describe this "difference" or even post the song for us to hear. I am very interested.

Back
Top Bottom