Short interview with U2 on Danish TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevation

Acrobat
Here is the transcript. Anybody knows the song that's "about our Danish girl" Bono is talking about?

Speaker 1:
For the first time ever, the Danish National Television has interviewed the world famous rock band U2. We went to Dublin to talk with.... a man who knows what he is talking about when making music... When he is making music and politics.

Speaker 2:
U2 – several times named the best band in the world. They have stayed together for 26 years. They hang around in this area of Dublin [shows pictures of the quay]. Here is their studio located and we meet them behind these doors.
Bono to the interviewer – while smiling: ”Action!”
Interviewer: Okay
Speaker 2: We talk about their new CD, the music and politics

Bono: Frozen hearts are the reasons for a lot of the world's political problems. I think music, very personal music, like we´ve made on this album – I hope, my prayer will be that it helps to melt those hearts.
Speaker 2: But it´s not only through musich U2 fight a political battle. Bono has been know for walking in and out of G8-summits. In his new book Bill Clinton considers him a ”First class politician”and he is famous for hanging around with those in power.
The Edge: He is very much going in to those meetings with, you know, carrying the U2 name with him. He has taking our success and has created some politcial influence (?) which we are very happy to support.
[A clip to the "Banjo Mix" from the DVD where Bono is saying: ”Just give me what I want and no one gets hurt"]

Speaker 2: Bono is particularly fighting for dept relief and in 1999 he had a great deal of success with his Drop the dept-campain
Bono: Without the music and without the drop the dept-campain succeeding, life would be much more intolerable for a lot of people.
I guess it´s about 100 billion dollars that has been cancelled by now. We’re gonna do the same thing next year on Aids. We´re trying to get the rest of Europe and the rest of the world to follow Denmark´s example and spend 0,7 of GDP – you spend 0,7 which goes to the poorest of the poor. This is an incredible thing which I think Denmark should be very proud of and I´m sure is very proud of.
Interviewer: Isn´t it sometimes difficult to be the symbol of struggling for justice in the world?
The Edge: What I object to is more the fact that people might think we´re too earnest. It´s not a case of a religious calling to save the world. It´s more a case of if we´re having this good time and things are going so well for us – we should try and give something back.
[Shows video clips from the Roskilde Festival in 1982 where U2 is playing]

Bono yealling: ”We´re called U2. We´re from Dublin – don’t you know?"

The band has stayed together for 26 years. Here they are playing the Roskilde Festival in 1982. The concert marked the beginning of their break through.
Bono: We played Roskilde when we were like kids – and actually you felt that the whole country embraced us. You know we were on the bill with lots of people and we just fell in love - it was like a love affair. I do remember there was sort of a camera track in the middle and I went down the camera track and there was a girl in a jump suit operating the camera [pauses] she was very attractive! I took the camera off her – it was fun.
Interviewer: In one sentence: What is U2 about? All of them giggling
The Edge: I don´t know – maybe that we still haven’t found what we are looking for. We´ve got our best work ahead of us – still.
Bono: The exciting thing about being in U2, as we are a rock’n’roll band – we can write a song about a fly on the wall... Actually we have ....And we can write a song about our girl from Copenhagen. Actually we have.

Interviewer: What more do you want from life?
Adam: To go to the moon [laughing]
The Edge: [Laughing] Fair enough
Adam: Haven’t been there yet...

Speaker 2: Bono also said that U2 would be playing in Denmark next summer :)D :bow: )

Last edited:
Nice Interview, were the lads drinking?

To The mooooooon!!!! lol

Thanks so much, elevation, for sharing with us.:applaud:

I hope as we get closer to the world tour that we will all continue sharing U2 news from our areas of the globe.

After all, isn't that what U2 has been about all their lives - bringing people together through their music? :wink:

ALL BECAUSE OF YOU....:adam: :larry: :edge: :hug: :bono: :love:

"our Girl from Copenhagen" is Helena Christensen and the song might be City of Blinding Lights as well as an unsung poem written to her..

Back
Top Bottom