Short but sweet- bands that didnt last long but ruled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hey folks

just wondering which artists/ or bands in your eyes were big, but were abruptly stopped due to the death of a member? i guess a one hit wonders can count as well

to me: the Joy Division- now they were just the most imaginary and a devastating group in their time. Ian Curtis was swirling in the waves of misery to conjuer up incredibly miserable stuff in the period of discos and dance

Jeff Buckley- this man possessed a truly magnificent voice. it was bliss to hear him, but oh so tragic that one album was all we heard from him

Nirvana is another one of course- kurt is said to be one be alongside jimmy dean as the biggest cult figures of their time, but we all know what happens to people like that? a young death

the smashing pumpkins can be seen as another band which graced their presence on the musical scene, for a short time as well. very talented, but eventually were run into the ground with issues of drugs and clinical depression to some of their members

the smiths- is another band which didnt last all that long either 1981-1987. they probably exhausted themselves into the ground with their miserable tunes of mal-existence and disillusionment. incredible fact is that none of the band members actually died out of all this

blind melon- the lead singer, named melon died soon after the band's first release 'no rain'

Guns'n'Roses - the Band which could 've been the best rock'n'roll band of the 90's , but say a big thank u to Axl Rose who ruined the band completely .

never mind

[This message has been edited by 80sU2isBest (edited 01-27-2002).]

saw their Behind the Music this morning and was reminded how much I miss The Police. It wasn't just Sting and they rocked. Roxanne, Every Breath You Take, Don't Stand So Close to Me....those are great songs!

Milli Vanilli

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
never mind

Originally posted by TheU2:

Great nirvana album. I'm surprised you like them 80s.

CK

lol. i think he was actually just saying never mind....

------------------
' I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name. . .'
.:. U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

Originally posted by mikal:
Milli Vanilli

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Queen ( although they passed 20years aniversary ALIVE , their album called Innuendo , shows how much potential they had )
Beatles ( very good 7 years and then endless silence )
UB40
INXS

My personal choice would be the Urban Dance Squad. Influenced by the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Living Colour they had an unique blend of rap and rock (and intelligent lyrics). Sadly, internal struggles and a hostile press here in their home country (Netherlands) made them explode.
Now we have to live with the copycats, both decent (Rage Against The Machine) and horrible (Limp Bizkit).
frown.gif

Marty

P.S. Other choice would be the Jimi Hendrix Experience (need I say more?)

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Not really deaths that made these bands split up, but musical differences...

Adorable
Colourbox
My Bloody Valentine
Slowdive
Mission UK (are they still around? I know they have a greatest hits that was released in 2000)
Bel Canto
Sublime (that's excluding all the music put out after Brad Nowell's death in 1996)

And there's more but I can't think of any right now.

[This message has been edited by adam's_mistress (edited 01-27-2002).]

oh

in the 80s there was this band called Underworld

and their anthemic 'Underneath the Radar' always gets played here whenever we have a skyshow or fireworks display.

technically the Underworld 'Born Slippy' is barely the same band at all, only keeping the name because two original members remain. originally Underworld were a fivesome making 'new wave' music.

Originally posted by sharky:
saw their Behind the Music this morning and was reminded how much I miss The Police. It wasn't just Sting and they rocked. Roxanne, Every Breath You Take, Don't Stand So Close to Me....those are great songs!

Yeah, I thought of them too, even though personally I like Sting's solo work as much if not more.

I also thought of Crowded House--I think they were around for seven or eight years, not long enough considering how excellent they were.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T

Originally posted by CrashedCarDriver:
oh

in the 80s there was this band called Underworld

and their anthemic 'Underneath the Radar' always gets played here whenever we have a skyshow or fireworks display.

technically the Underworld 'Born Slippy' is barely the same band at all, only keeping the name because two original members remain. originally Underworld were a fivesome making 'new wave' music.

I like Underworld, although with Darren Emerson gone (the main force behind the band imo who brought them to the forefront of the electronic elxplosion during the 90's when there was a new revival of synth music, not to mention they were on the Trainspotting soundtrack which helped the band gain a wider audience) I don't know how well the new Underworld is going to sound. It'll be curious to hear what comes up. At least Hyde and Smith, who've been with it through all the names and all the changes, are still going at it as Underworld. That makes me happy. And I got the pleasure of seeing Underworld perform one of the last American gigs before Emerson quit - an amazing show that got everyone up on their feet!

Before they were Underworld, they were a band called Freur, and they had that one-hit called Doot Doot in the early 80's that got a lot of play on alternative stations for a little while before it got buried in 80's New Wave nostalgia. Well, at least Underword is still keeping on, but you're right it's really not quite the same band anymore - either in the 80's or the 90's.

I love what everyone's suggested in this short but sweet thread!
wink.gif

Originally posted by Saracene:
Catatonia

I was really surprised when I heard of Catatonia's split. I think a lot of people were. It's as if they just came and went in the blink of an eye right when they were taking off. I think they had a bright future ahead of them as a band, they had a great sound that you really couldn't peg into any one particular genre. It's a shame, but I hope the bandmates are off doing whatever it is that makes them happy.

Actually, what stuff I've read about Catatonia gave an impression of a band that had a massive UK hit album with "International Velvet", then stumbled with the lackluster follow-up, and failed to regain the crown with their third offering. That said, I'll be interested in whatever Cerys Matthews does next, she has one funky voice!
smile.gif

Originally posted by U2002revolution!:
lol. i think he was actually just saying never mind....
Good call! I was. I can't stand that album.

Joy Division
Joy Division
Joy Division
Joy Division
Joy Division
Joy Division
Joy Division
Joy Division
Joy Division
Joy Division
Joy Division
Joy Division
Joy Division
Joy Division
Joy Division

and of course, The Velvet Underground - if you haven't bought the "The Velvet Underground and Nico" (aka "The Bananna Album") you have missed out on one of the most important pieces of music ever released.

Don't forget Joy Divsion

Originally posted by CrashedCarDriver:
Jeff Buckley- this man possessed a truly magnificent voice. it was bliss to hear him, but oh so tragic that one album was all we heard from him

So true. It's sad to think of the songs the world may have known from this talented man had he not passed away.
frown.gif

What's going on here? How long do you want a career? How long is "didn't last long"? Ivan you said Queen.. they were active for almost 20 years!!

If you want a band that really didn't last very long then surely you are looking at The Las. One album, then poor Lee Marvin went mad.

And if people are saying The Smiths and The Verve (they made about three or four albums!) well then you must add The Stone Roses as one of music's greatest missed opportunities. Although Ian Brown still excells, of course.

The Beatles had been going about 10 years!

This should really be called "bands that made one album then disappeared who really shouldn't have".

Back
Top Bottom