Shameless Self-Promotion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
O.K., this is truly shameless... but I am SO happy and proud!
biggrin.gif

As some of you may know, I am a scientist. My current research is in the area of cancer diagnostics. In particular, I attempt to discover new blood serum proteins that may serve as "biomarkers" for early prostate cancer detection.

I joined my present company in May, 2000. Despite numerous staff changes in that time, this project has been successful.

I recently presented this work at a conference in Barcelona, Spain. This was only my second time to Europe and the very first time I gave an oral presentation to an international community. My company, Matritech, issued a press release, which states my name, about this presentation on October 5th. I am very happy and proud of this accomplishment - not just for my own personal career-growth, but because of the actual discovery.
biggrin.gif

I thought I would share this news with my "U2 family" as many of you have been very supportive during recent difficult times (especially since last July). I thought it would be nice to share some "happy" news today.
smile.gif

Wait a minute--you're John Hlavaty? As in the John Hlavaty? I use your statistics every time someone asks me about U2's sales. Wow, a man of many talents. Pretty cool, dude.

On a scientific note, though I'm not someone who has much affinity for biology (I'm an engineering student), I think it was an interesting article. The idea of doing cancer checks with a blood test is definitely better than the current methods used. Congratulations man!

------------------
Change is the only constant

As someone who has recently battled the big C, I say you deserve all the praise you can handle when it comes to helping find ways to fight it.
Keep up the good work.

[This message has been edited by Hewson (edited 10-05-2001).]

Thanks everyone for your kind words!
smile.gif

Originally posted by Foxxern:
Wait a minute--you're John Hlavaty? As in the John Hlavaty? I use your statistics every time someone asks me about U2's sales. Wow, a man of many talents. Pretty cool, dude.

Gracias! And yes, I am "the" John Hlavaty (alias "Ciao John"). I thought this would be obvious due to my numerous chart-related postings on Interference, but I guess my "DoctorWho" moniker provided a good disguise.
wink.gif

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
stop showing off and get on with your work

Whew! You're worse than my inept boss!
biggrin.gif

Good show DoctorWho!

I just lost a dear friend to cancer on Wednesday night. I say cheers to you and everyone you work with who are spending time trying to get rid of this terrible illness.

Congratulations on this great recognition.

Peace to you.

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

hey... there's a time and a place for fun and enjoyment and it isn't in your workplace
biggrin.gif

can you tell i hold some seniorish role? haha

Wow, this is great!!!

biggrin.gif

------------------
-The Shitty Beatles? Are they any good?

-They suck!

-So it's not just a clever name...

Congratulations John!

I know several people currently battling cancer so I hope that the accumulation of knowledge such as this will eventually eliminate this scourge.

p.s. I also love your statistics & chart info!!!!

That's great Dr. who!! What an accomplishment!

Keep up the good work, we need brilliant people like you to get this one figured out for us.

BTW, since you've been so busy, you probably missed your name being mentioned in the following thread....

http://forum.u2wdd.org/u2feedback/Forum1/HTML/013669.html

------------------
VIVA LAS VEGAS!

DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!

Thanks for spending your hard earned cash on a rock show. ~ Bono, Houston, 4-2-01

You should be proud Dr. Who! This world is a better place because of people like you.
smile.gif

Hello John,

Good work. You've earned some Doritos now!
smile.gif

Anyway, the big question has not been answered yet... How was Spain/Barcalona? I mean, you only had your conference for one day, how did you survive the rest?

C ya!

Marty

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Originally posted by Popmartijn:
Hello John,

Good work. You've earned some Doritos now!
smile.gif

Anyway, the big question has not been answered yet... How was Spain/Barcalona? I mean, you only had your conference for one day, how did you survive the rest?

C ya!

Marty

The conference lasted several days (from Sat. through Wed.). I only spoke on one day (well, I was only scheduled to speak on one day - I asked public questions or made comments about other talks on other days). The conference was productive and I would say a worthwhile trip for both me and my company. Clearly there is some great work being done in the area of tumor markers, which will lead to early detection. Early detection is key to cancer survival.

Barcelona is very pretty - I was particularly taken with the architecture of Gaudi. I loved the Sagrada Familia. The city is far more humid than I thought though, which made it a tad uncomfortable (as I'm not partial to humid weather). The people there speak Catalan, so my limited Spanish (and I do mean limited) was often of little value. Fortunately, most spoke English as well. People in Spain eat dinner VERY late. One night we had an evening tour of the city, which concluded with dinner. At midnight we were still eating our meal (and this was considered "normal"). If I were in my early 20's, I think Barcelona would be the place to be as the night life goes on forever! LOL! However, as I'm rapidly approaching 40, I found the bed in the hotel room a bit too appealing at 1 a.m.
wink.gif

Thank you doctorwho.
So many people labour long and hard without much recognition. I'm glad you shared your story here. It's encouraging. Well done fellow U2music/doglover
smile.gif

Do you like the icon I chose? It's the light of discovery.... may it continue to shine on you.

Back
Top Bottom