Sgt Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol, the irony here is overwhelming.

Bono is to open Live8. He cannot decide which song to start the show with. He ends up choosing a classic that John Lennon co-wrote with Paul McCartney. BUT WHO NEEDS JOHN LENNON WHEN YOU'VE GOT BONO?

U2Man said:
lol, the irony here is overwhelming.

Bono is to open Live8. He cannot decide which song to start the show with. He ends up choosing a classic that John Lennon co-wrote with Paul McCartney. BUT WHO NEEDS JOHN LENNON WHEN YOU'VE GOT BONO?

I might just be stupid but I don't see the irony. Where's the irony in covering a song?

Hallucination said:

I might just be stupid but I don't see the irony. Where's the irony in covering a song?

It's ironic because John Lennon helped to write the song and the original poster ridiculously claimed "who needs John Lennon when you've got Bono?" Unless Bono could travel back in time and write the song...then yeah, you'd need Lennon.

Anyway, we have a troll!

2236.gif

GibsonGirl said:

It's ironic because John Lennon helped to write the song and the original poster ridiculously claimed "who needs John Lennon when you've got Bono?" Unless Bono could travel back in time and write the song...then yeah, you'd need Lennon.

Anyway, we have a troll!

2236.gif

O.k. I get it. Bono needed Lennon to write the song, so he could perform it.:laugh: You weren't calling me the troll were you?:shrug:

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

You must have a bit of a sense of humour I guess. You started the thread

:|

I'm not taking the piss, i honestly think Bono's voice suits the song better than Lennons. Ok, Lennon wrote it, but Bono sings it better. He sang it with passion, 'Desire', and even outsang McCartney on the day.

GibsonGirl said:

Oh God no. The newbie and/or alter trying to stir up some shit.

That's good. I just wasn't sure. :laugh:

originally posted by Final Straw
I'm not taking the piss, i honestly think Bono's voice suits the song better than Lennons. Ok, Lennon wrote it, but Bono sings it better. He sang it with passion, 'Desire', and even outsang McCartney on the day.

I'd have to disagree with you Final Straw that Bono's voice suits the song better and also Bono is almost 20 years(I think) younger than McCartney not to mention he's always been a better singer. So it wouldn't be surprising to hear Bono out sing Paul on that day or any day.

I wouldn't say Bono's a better singer than McCartney at all. His vocal on the original studio recording is utterly brilliant.:cool:

Sleep Over Jack said:
I wouldn't say Bono's a better singer than McCartney at all. His vocal on the original studio recording is utterly brilliant.:cool:

I said ON THE DAY his voice was better. Nothing to do with the original version.

For that matter, who needs Ringo and George when you got Larry, Edge, and Adam? :eyebrow:

I often wonder... if Lennon had survived the gun shot and hadn't succumbed to any other disease or illness (like Harrison), would Lennon be the powerhouse he was in the 60's and 70's? Would he be relevant? Would he have ultimately cashed in? Would Bono not be Bono because Lennon would be there? That is, would Bono do less because Lennon might have done more? Or Would Lennon criticize Bono for doing it "wrong"?

I'd love to say that Lennon would stay true to himself, make music like Dylan and Young, even if it didn't sell that well any more, and praise Bono for his inspiring convictions and dedication to changing the world. But one never knows...

It's just sarcasm. Some talents are too great to be replaced. No one can fill the Beatles' void, and no one will replace U2. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom