Setlist for the New Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alexvilagosh

War Child
What would you like to see as the setlist for the new tour? This is not list your favourite 25 songs though, you actually have to think that they could do it. So although I don't necessarily want them to play 'Beautiful Day', they will. And as much as I want them to open with 'Pop Muzik' leading into 'Mofo', it's not going to happen. Plus keep in mind they will play new songs. Anyway here is my setlist for the 2004-2005 Tour!

1. *New Song*
2. Beautiful Day
3. Even Better Than The Real Thing
4. *New Song*
5. I Will Follow
6. One
7. Gone
8. Sunday Bloody Sunday
9. *New Song*
10. Gloria
11. Until The End Of The World
Move to B Stage
12. Desire
13. Stay (Faraway, So Close)
14. Angel of Harlem
Back to Main Stage
15. Bad
16. All I Want Is You
17. Running To Stand Still
18. Where The Streets Have No Name
19. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Encore #1
20. Bullet The Blue Sky
21. The Fly
22. With or Without You
23. Walk On
Encore #2
24. So Cruel or Love Is Blindness (I would LOVE one of these!)
25. "40"

I don't think they'll play The Fly again... I read where Edge said it didnt stand the test of time or something along the lines, but I could be wrong.

And I won't guess the set list till I hear the new songs... because nobody really knows what theyre going to sound like and how/where theyll fit into the setlist... you have to figure they'll play 5 or 6 songs from the new album, which will be a solid portion of the setlist and make or break some of their older songs on and off of the setlist , and how the songs are arranged.

1. *New Song* (Straight into -->)
2. In God's Country
3. *New Song* (The Big Single)
4. Until the end of the world
5. New Years Day
6. Pride
7. I still haven't found........
8. Even better than the real thing
9. *New Song*
10. Angel of Harlem
11. Kite

---B Stage---
12. Stay (Faraway, so close)
13. *New Song*

14. Gone
15. Mysterious Ways
16. One
17. All I want is you
18. *New Song*
19. Beautiful Day

-Encore-
20. Where the streets have no name
21. I will follow (or other OLD songs)
22. Walk on
23. *New Song*

I think U2 should have a few spots in the next setlist in which they rotate some songs every night. It'll keep the crowd guessing, and it'll keep their shows fresh and they won't get bored with the same thing night after night.

The songs I will be angry if they don't play them are 'Streets', 'Gone', 'All I Want Is You' and 'Until The End Of The World'. All except AIWIY are reasonably safe though, so thats good.

I would really like them to play '40' or at least a snippet like in Boston.

And you left off Bad! I really hope they play that too!

hmmm ok i would like (being more realistic)

1. NEW SONG
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing
3. Beautiful Day
4. NEW SONG
5. One
6. Stay (faraway so close)
7. New Years Day
8. Ultra Violet Light
9. Sunday Bloody Sunday
10. NEW SONG
11. Running To Stand Still
12. NEW SONG
13. The Fly

14. Pride
15. Angel Of Harlem
16. NEW SONG
17. Bad
18. With Or Without You
19. Kite

Encore
20. All I Want Is You
21. I Will Follow
22. Where The Streets Have No Name
23. Walk on
24. NEW SONG

ahhhh sooo many good songs are gonna be left off :(
But then REPLACED with even GREATER songs :yes:

Unfortunately, some of our favorites will never make it into the live set, simply because the whole concert will go into at least half of the new album, and they have to play most of the greatest hits. That's the reality of the issue. They WILL play the hits. I would love to hear "Ultraviolet", "Two hearts beat as one", "Exit" and "In God's Country" more than anything, honestly. But I know that it won't happen. I think that they underestimate the casual fans. I'm sure some guy who is at a U2 show who doesn't know the songs like "Ultraviolet" would still get into it and like it. I would play as much from Achtung Baby as I could, it works well live. All of it. Same with Joshua Tree. But here is what I expect from the albums:

Boy- "I will follow" will be a regular in the set, with the occasional appearance of "Out of Control" and "11:00 tick tock", and maybe another one, like "Stories for boys".

October- "Gloria" and "October" are the only possibilities. Don't ever look for anything from this record to be performed agian.

War- Sunday bloody Sunday (not every show), New Years day, 40 snippets.

UF- Pride, Bad (played less on this tour), MLK, Sort of Homecoming (occasional)

JT- Streets, ISHFWILF, WOWY (less than normal)

RH- Desire (shit version), All I want is you, Angel of Harlem

AB- UTEOTW, MW, One, Real Thing (sometimes)

Zooropa- Stay (Nothing else has a prayer of being played live ever again)

Pop- Staring at the sun (Lame ass version), Gone, Please (All 3 of these POP songs will be played on an occasional basis)

ATYCLB- Beautiful Day (nightly), Walk on (nightly), Stuck in a moment (not every night), Elevation (Occasionally), Kite (Very often)

Also, Electrical Storm will get played some. And there will be 6-7 new songs in the show every single gig. You can bet on that.

First I should say that I think the shows are going to be rocked up. I think guitars will be loud and songs on old albums that were just...right...there...on...the...verge...of...being...loud...will be loud this time around.

I think it will also be a time for them to go back and revisit some songs that may not seem to fit but they'll find a way to make them fit.

1. NEW SONG
2. NEW SONG
3. Electrical Storm
4. NEW SONG (slower song)
5. Out Of Control
6. Until The End Of The World
7. Gone
8. Staring At The Sun (into...)
9. Bullet The Blue Sky
10. NEW SONG

b-stage (or something along those lines) with FULL BAND
11. Kite
12. NEW SONG
13. Hands That Built America
14. Stuck In A Moment

back to main stage
15. Lemon (jeep mix) (into...)
16. HMTMKMKM
17. New Years Day
18. ISHFWILF
19. NEW SONG

Encore

20. Where The Streets... (into...)
21. Beautiful Day
22. Stay
23. Walk On

:shrug:

I dunno. Yes about 6-7 new songs, but also hits. Maybe they will do like they did the last time around and will pick some older songs, and re-shape some others.

Although they will stick to mostly big hits and new material, I have a feeling they may bring out Unforgettable Fire or In God's Country (full band) - I think those are realistic choices and I am sure they will throw in at least one gem for their regular rotation (like Out of Control on the last tour). But 1990's songs that were carried by the theme of a particular tour like Mofo, Ultraviolet, Zoo Station etc...are less likely IMO. Look for THE FIRST TIME too...they put it on the best of...could be an acoustic add in like STAY.

cheers,

Brady

I'm gonna try:

1. New Song
2. Beautiful Day
3. EBTTRT
4. New Song
5. Stuck...
6. Gone
7. Out of Control
8. Angel of Harlem
9. In God's Country
10. Desire
11. Pride
12. New Song
13. The Fly
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday

15. Running To Stand Still
16. Acrobat (i'm nutty)
17. Bad
18. Streets
19. New Song
20. Kite
21. New Year's Day
22. Electrical Storm
23. Walk On
24. New Song

2004......oh my gentle Jesus I can't wait......

alexvilagosh said:
The songs I will be angry if they don't play them are 'Streets', 'Gone', 'All I Want Is You' and 'Until The End Of The World'. All except AIWIY are reasonably safe though, so thats good.

I would really like them to play '40' or at least a snippet like in Boston.

And you left off Bad! I really hope they play that too!

Totally agree! Gone and UTEOTW are rock treasures.

Just as long as they play Bad, I'll be happy ...

Gloria, The Electric Co., and Exit would be fantastic, too. Although I heard something that Bono now hates Gloria - is that true?

I agree with Bradyvox, look for some "closet classics" to either show up on the regular list or on occasion. I say look for Out of Control, and maybe even Electric Co. Look for a very sporadically played Gloria (I dunno why, but I think with the direction of this new, guitar album it could happen). I expect we might hear In God's Country and maybe even God Part II. I expect the regular list to stay fairly stable, but that they will intermingle some or a lot of the songs listed......maybe.

I don't think Bono has ever said he hates Gloria, I've never read that. Edge said during the Best Of 1980-1990, that he didn't feel that Gloria stood the test of time. However, why would that prevent them from playing it ever again????

U2 has always stuck with a formula for touring (yes, there are exceptions, but they are oh-so rare):

1) Normally 60-80% of whatever "new" album they are touring

2) Several of their most popular hits

3) Singles that made some noise, but maybe were on soundtracks or "special" albums released between tours (think HMTMKMKM for Popmart, Sweetest Thing and TGBHF on Elevation)

4) Rarely rotating songs; normally they'll play a setlist for 10 (or so) shows, rotate out one or two songs, play that setlist for 10 shows, etc.

That said, I'll take a stab at this using the numbers I've listed above, but I'm not going to try for the order (impossible!):

1) 6-8 New Songs

2) WOWY, SBS, New Years Day, Streets, One, Gone, UTEOTW, Bad, I Will Follow, ISHFWILF, Pride, Desire, SATS, Mysterious Ways, Beatiful Day, Stuck In A Moment (for some reason I see the acoustic version on the next tour)

3) Electrical Storm

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I say look for Out of Control, and maybe even Electric Co. Look for a very sporadically played Gloria (I dunno why, but I think with the direction of this new, guitar album it could happen).

I do like that idea. If they do sporadically play Gloria, I really hope I'm there for it ...

I don't think Bono has ever said he hates Gloria, I've never read that. Edge said during the Best Of 1980-1990, that he didn't feel that Gloria stood the test of time. However, why would that prevent them from playing it ever again????

I hope it doesn't prevent them from playing it ever again, and I do think it's stood the test of time - I only heard it for the first time this year, and I think it's absolutely fantastic (especially the live version on UABRS). I can't remember where I read that Bono hated it ... it was just a coment somewhere. May've even been on this board, I'm not sure.

i've never heard the tune "new song." but it must be good if they're gonna play it 8 times in one show.

The_acrobat said:
Zooropa- Stay (Nothing else has a prayer of being played live ever again)

:no: Please don't say that. I know it's true but pleeeease don't say that. I love Zooropa and would be more than happy for them to pass up the usual, bog standard songs to play some rare ones.

I don't care what they play as long as they retire "One", "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "New Years Day". I love these songs but they're played out. If they play "Stuck in a Moment" that'll be my cue to get a drink and hit the bathroom not necessarily in that order. More than anything I would kill to hear "In God's Country I or II", "Acrobat", "Ultraviolet" or "2 Hearts beat as 1". My ultimate wish is for them not to end the concert with "40"! or a snippet. Please end it with something else. :no:

No, they can't cut Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Year's Day. Those are brilliant songs and they need to be kept. I haven't been to a U2 concert yet and I would love to hear them live. I'd imagine a lot of other people would, too.

Anyhow, I sincerely doubt they'll retire those two songs, particularly New Year's Day. They're classics and they're crowd pleasers.

mikal said:
i've never heard the tune "new song." but it must be good if they're gonna play it 8 times in one show.

Well, as they said, "I will sing, sing a New Song."

No, they can't cut Sunday Bloody Sunday and New Year's Day. Those are brilliant songs and they need to be kept. I haven't been to a U2 concert yet and I would love to hear them live. I'd imagine a lot of other people would, too.

And with this, I apologize to all who haven't seen U2 yet. While we're on the topic, keep "40" as the ending song too. I'm so selfish.

in no particular order...

5 new songs
The Unforgettable Fire
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Staring At the Sun
New Years Day
One
Zooropa
Mysterious Ways
When I Look at the World
Another Time Another Place
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad
With or Without You
So Cruel
Until the End of the World
Lemon
Discotheque
Mofo
Summer Rain
Take You Down (from the Axtung Beibi Outtakes)

alexvilagosh said:
What would you like to see as the setlist for the new tour? This is not list your favourite 25 songs though, you actually have to think that they could do it. So although I don't necessarily want them to play 'Beautiful Day', they will. And as much as I want them to open with 'Pop Muzik' leading into 'Mofo', it's not going to happen. Plus keep in mind they will play new songs. Anyway here is my setlist for the 2004-2005 Tour!

1. *New Song*
2. Beautiful Day
3. Even Better Than The Real Thing
4. *New Song*
5. I Will Follow
6. One
7. Gone
8. Sunday Bloody Sunday
9. *New Song*
10. Gloria
11. Until The End Of The World
Move to B Stage
12. Desire
13. Stay (Faraway, So Close)
14. Angel of Harlem
Back to Main Stage
15. Bad
16. All I Want Is You
17. Running To Stand Still
18. Where The Streets Have No Name
19. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Encore #1
20. Bullet The Blue Sky
21. The Fly
22. With or Without You
23. Walk On
Encore #2
24. So Cruel or Love Is Blindness (I would LOVE one of these!)
25. "40"

I would imagine they will play more than three new songs though! Remember that for the last tour they regularaly played seven songs from eleven on the ATYCLB album, with 3 of the four others also making brief appearances. Also, StlElevation is right... Edge sort of condemned FLY in an interview after Elevation (a pity, because it's a great song :( ) , so it's unlikely to make an apperance - at least not yet.

Other than that the setlist looks very Elevation - y. Would love to see a return of RTSS, as well as ULTRAVIOLET though!

JTH

Re: Re: Setlist for the New Tour

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
Also, StlElevation is right... Edge sort of condemned FLY in an interview after Elevation (a pity, because it's a great song :( ) , so it's unlikely to make an apperance - at least not yet.

The Edge sort of condemned it!! What is he crazy? My worry is that they'll keep on playing the same standard songs so they become predictable. Or they'll bring back well worn songs that they dropped on the previous tour. Pride on the next tour anyone? I always thought Pride sounded pretty weak live, compared to the studio version.

Lemon, Lemon, Lemon, Lemon :yes:

I really can't think about a new setlist without having heard any of the new album. That'll figure into the setlist big time, needless to say.

Back
Top Bottom