Serious U2 concert-goer question!! Hands up, if u have been, and.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
.........stood in the very very very front row......
smile.gif
maybe some of u have, if so, holy mattress, u musta queued for years.....
biggrin.gif

seriously, anyone here, honestly been and stood right in the front/1st line, not the 2nd, not the 3rd, but the 1st line......and if so, just how bloomin squashed were u???

wink.gif

hello maddie...I made it to the front row in front of Adam on the Elevation Tour, April 20, 2001 in San Jose, California...and this only happened because two awesome U2 fans, girls by the way
wink.gif
, let me squeeze in between them. I have stayed in touch with one of the women who is from Arizona...that was one of the greatest nights as a fan for me which I will never forget, and will be forever grateful to those two U2 fans.

Chris

I was in the front row at Chicago 6 and in St. Louis. I was right in front of Sparky-man both time, which I maintain is the happiest place on earth
wink.gif
And I actually wasn't that squished. Unless Bono lunged towards the crowd everyone pretty much respected your space. At least that was my experience.

But you're right, I was in line freaking FOREVER. Got in line at midnight the night before the show for Chicago and 10pm (*shudder*) for St. Louis. But it was SO worth it. And I got to spend A LOT of time with some really cool U2 fans. Ahhhh, memories....
smile.gif

I was in the front row in front of Edge in Albany. (got there at 8am the same day).

I was right in front of Bono first row in Montreal in October. I got there at 9pm the night before.

------------------
The sunshine bores the daylights out of me
Chasing shadows moonlight mystery

Originally posted by mad1:
.........stood in the very very very front row......
smile.gif
maybe some of u have, if so, holy mattress, u musta queued for years.....
biggrin.gif

Front row center, Foxboro Stadium, night 1 of Popmart. And no queue...it was a ticket-buyers' dream...I picked up the phone, dialed Ticketmaster and got through on the first ring. Very sweet. (This was when MTV did the pre-sale with the "top secret" number on Valentine's night in 1997. I guessed that it would be TM, and it was.) Just blind luck.

I also got pretty close in Dublin in 93 (GA) and Providence in 01 (GA too).

AB

nope, usually about row 15

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Yep! In Detroit for Popmart, I stood right up against the end of the catwalk...I think that's better than being in the front row on the main stage because you could see the whole band when they came out of the mirrorball!

Oh, and I was right behind someone who was in the front row at Detroit Elevation.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Managed to get front row between edge & bono for 2nd Providence show
biggrin.gif

Also got right to the front at Wembley Zoo show but eventually had to move back cos I felt a bit faint lol

------------------
Tanya

Being one can be great but respecting differences can be greater. - Bono in Belfast, August 26, 1997

Front row in heart for one of the Philly shows, right at tip of heart for Atlanta (queued up at 9am) and I was front row for a Zoo show thanks to Prop.

smile.gif

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

OUIZY~~~~raises hand and waves.

I was in the first row of the Outdoor Broadcast of ZOOTV at Yankee Stadium.

The place was so huge I did not get that crushed. What was amazing was looking up at the Edge about 3 feet in front of me, and then turning around and seeing about 79000 people standing behind me.

Also, if you have seen the video for Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, there is a clip of Bono dancing with a girl in a red beret. She was standing next to me and I helped her onstage.

Pretty amazing...

Never been in the very front row, BUT, I was in the VERY last row of the whole fricken arena at the NJ show!!!!!
mad.gif
*fume*

------------------
What are we going to do now It's all been said,
No new ideas in the house and Every book has been read....

Originally posted by ouizy:
What was amazing was looking up at the Edge about 3 feet in front of me, and then turning around and seeing about 79000 people standing behind me.

Looking behind me and seeing all those people cheering, dancing and singing along just gave me chills. Awesome.

I was at the end of the front row in Tampa, in front of the Edge. My friend and I got in line around midnight the night before and getting into the heart was mass chaos, but once we were there, we actually had a decent amount of space (much more than at other concerts I go to. There's this girl who always go to the same shows I do here in DC who usually ends up standing with her arms crossed RIGHT behind me and jabbing her elbows into my back.:mad
smile.gif
. I DID get a little squashed when the Edge was handing out picks at the end of the show, but other than that, I was okay.

I was in the front row below Adam with Hallelujah at Chicago 6. It's not nearly as squished in the heart as it is at the tip. But yes, yes, we did queue forever.
smile.gif
In Milwaukee I was briefly up against the rail on the outside of the heart, and it was much more ... crushing. But still fun.

------------------
I used to think
As birds take wing
They sing through life so why can't we?

?Poetry doesn?t belong to those who write it; it belongs to those who need it.?

I was in second row at the heart in Miami. Just one person in front of me.
smile.gif
I think she got squished when the band reached out to shake our hands, but she didn't mind...luckily.

Thanks to a very nice gal at the Boston 4 show, I was right against the rail in front of Edge during the last half of the show. (I was behind her for most of it, but since she had been to multiple shows she offered her spot to me). As an Edge gal...it was as close as I've been to heaven.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

And yes, we did queue up semi-early (5am) but nothing like what the lines were on the second leg!
eek.gif

Originally posted by meegannie:
I was at the end of the front row in Tampa, in front of the Edge.

You were in Tampa. I was so mad about the GA line when they did not open the doors to the floor. I ended up 2nd row right under bono's mic stand, but should have been in the front row imo. anyway here is one of my pics.

img017.jpg

I was at the front for the JT tour concert in December 1987, Vancouver, British Columbia.

Actually, i didn't have GA tickets, but my friend and i got a bunch of teenagers together, asked them to go over the barriers and onto the floor at BC Place (the big dome stadium), thereby distracting all the security personnel, who went after the teenagers, while my friend and I jumped the barrier from another place and ran for the floor crowd. We got chased by a couple security people, also, but we lost them as soon as we hit the crowd.

I feel bad for all those teenagers we led astray...but, hey, it was the selfish, indulgent '80s...plus i did it for a higher cause (seeing the boys up close).

Front row all the time!!!! I was sleeping outside the venue in my sleeping bag for crying out loud!! LMAO!!!

------------------
Zooming in
Zooming out
Nothing I can't do without
A lens to see it all up close
Magnifying what no one knows
Never in company
Never alone
No car alarm
No cellular phone
- Adam Clayton / Passengers

"If Larry's gay, I'll be a man!" -Michelle-

Front row for Providence 1 right in front of Edge... we got in line around 6am I believe. I got some great pictures too!
biggrin.gif

------------------

What in God's name have you done?
Stick your arm for some real fun...
Rest in peace Layne.

Get on board and have some fun -
Take What you need to turn you on...

Originally posted by DiGi:
You were in Tampa. I was so mad about the GA line when they did not open the doors to the floor. I ended up 2nd row right under bono's mic stand, but should have been in the front row imo. anyway here is one of my pics.

Great picture! The GA situation in Tampa was INSANE. Not as bad as the NJ on the second leg, but still pretty bad. I thought I was going to die when they had us all crammed into that little space at the foot of the stairs and weren't opening the doors and were still letting more people in. And there were these annoying girls who'd tried to jump in line all day....grrr....I had to RUN to get a good spot in the heart, and luckily, some people I'd met in the line saved spots for my friend and me. I think I have some pictues scanned, but they're not on a website, so I can't post them. Most of mine are of the Edge since we were right in front of him.

At least you didn't have to sleep on a grate!!! I had to sleep on a grate!!! *lol* Ahh, memories... I love Stockholm. :)

Seriously though, to answer your question, mad1, the front row is squished but I was also on the rail at the outside tip which was PACKED, much more so than the front rail inside the heart.

Originally posted by CatDubh:
Front row all the time!!!! I was sleeping outside the venue in my sleeping bag for crying out loud!! LMAO!!!

Judah -

That is a really funny story. I actually remember seeing that happen at the JT show I saw @ Giants Stadium in 1987.

I have to say - that by far was the worst GA situation I have ever seen.

The stadium was opened to the people who had seats before they let the GA's in. Once they opened the gates for the GA's they literally had to do a 150 yard dash to the stage. There were no seats on the field and the entire 100 yards of the football field were people squished body to body for like 8 hours.

I have NEVER seen anything like that.

After that show there was a TV show (now defunkt) called "West 57th" Some blond woman interviewed Bono and they showed some clips from the show.

The stage was an immense box, and the crowd was incredible - thousands packed in body to body.

crazy...

ouizy:
Well, yeah, it was pretty intense in the crowd at the Vancouver '87 concert, especially against the metal fence right up at front. I remember the crowd swaying to the music...it was like ocean-waves of people, and I would get moved about 15 feet without my feet touching the ground, back and forth like that. Bono had to tell the crowd to cool it because the band "didn't want another Cincinatti" to happen. Besides some people passing out and being taken away by bouncers/security, nobody got hurt.

But, after the show ended, it was interesting to see personal items strewn about everywhere: runners, pants(!), socks, watches, shirts...what people lose in those crowds!

Front Row # 1
front row in san antonio popmart show, right against the inside of the catwalk. go moved up b/cthe ticket i had been issued didnt exist (the seats were #' 27&28 and the #'s only went up to 25.) I was there so early and went back to get re-ticekted. there were two ladies working and one said to the other go a a head and give them the good ones. she handed us fron row tickets. awesome show, the day after michael hutchence died.

Front Row # 2
Elevation tour Charlotte. Front row dead center in front of Bono. He grabbed my hand several times. was amazing to be that close and see expressions, and communication between the band. Very cool, an experience i will never forget. During Streets I felt like i was right in the middle of rattle and hum the movie, very surreal.

Front # 3 & 4
Dallas and Houston In April Elevation shows. Dont know if this counts but i was in the front row at the tip of the heart and both nights bono grabbed my hand during utteow to pull himself up. both shows were great and was still incredible, although nothing will top the charlotte experience.

jp

[This message has been edited by jphelmet (edited 05-09-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom