Serious U2 concert-goer question!! Hands up, if u have been, and..... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2002, 05:41 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 04:49 AM
I was at the front for the JT tour concert in December 1987, Vancouver, British Columbia.

Actually, i didn't have GA tickets, but my friend and i got a bunch of teenagers together, asked them to go over the barriers and onto the floor at BC Place (the big dome stadium), thereby distracting all the security personnel, who went after the teenagers, while my friend and I jumped the barrier from another place and ran for the floor crowd. We got chased by a couple security people, also, but we lost them as soon as we hit the crowd.

I feel bad for all those teenagers we led astray...but, hey, it was the selfish, indulgent '80s...plus i did it for a higher cause (seeing the boys up close).

Old 05-09-2002, 03:23 AM   #22
Refugee

Front row all the time!!!! I was sleeping outside the venue in my sleeping bag for crying out loud!! LMAO!!!

------------------
Zooming in
Zooming out
Nothing I can't do without
A lens to see it all up close
Magnifying what no one knows
Never in company
Never alone
No car alarm
No cellular phone
- Adam Clayton / Passengers

"If Larry's gay, I'll be a man!" -Michelle-

Old 05-09-2002, 03:52 AM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 12:49 AM
Front row for Providence 1 right in front of Edge... we got in line around 6am I believe. I got some great pictures too!

------------------

What in God's name have you done?
Stick your arm for some real fun...
Rest in peace Layne.

Get on board and have some fun -
Take What you need to turn you on...
Old 05-09-2002, 09:27 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by DiGi:
You were in Tampa. I was so mad about the GA line when they did not open the doors to the floor. I ended up 2nd row right under bono's mic stand, but should have been in the front row imo. anyway here is one of my pics.

Great picture! The GA situation in Tampa was INSANE. Not as bad as the NJ on the second leg, but still pretty bad. I thought I was going to die when they had us all crammed into that little space at the foot of the stairs and weren't opening the doors and were still letting more people in. And there were these annoying girls who'd tried to jump in line all day....grrr....I had to RUN to get a good spot in the heart, and luckily, some people I'd met in the line saved spots for my friend and me. I think I have some pictues scanned, but they're not on a website, so I can't post them. Most of mine are of the Edge since we were right in front of him.

Old 05-09-2002, 09:29 AM   #25
Refugee

Location: living in a rock and roll fantasy- and what's wrong with that?
Local Time: 11:49 PM
Yes I was squished but only when Bono walked by!

------------------
I've seen his baby blue eyes in the freeze frame so many times I feel like I'm his very best friend~~~~
Old 05-09-2002, 09:35 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Front row, right in front of Edge at Chicago 5-13-01. In the heart against that ramp for 6 others.
Old 05-09-2002, 10:22 AM   #27
The Fly

At least you didn't have to sleep on a grate!!! I had to sleep on a grate!!! *lol* Ahh, memories... I love Stockholm. :-)

Seriously though, to answer your question, mad1, the front row is squished but I was also on the rail at the outside tip which was PACKED, much more so than the front rail inside the heart.

Quote:
Originally posted by CatDubh:
Front row all the time!!!! I was sleeping outside the venue in my sleeping bag for crying out loud!! LMAO!!!

Old 05-09-2002, 01:21 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Judah -

That is a really funny story. I actually remember seeing that happen at the JT show I saw @ Giants Stadium in 1987.

I have to say - that by far was the worst GA situation I have ever seen.

The stadium was opened to the people who had seats before they let the GA's in. Once they opened the gates for the GA's they literally had to do a 150 yard dash to the stage. There were no seats on the field and the entire 100 yards of the football field were people squished body to body for like 8 hours.

I have NEVER seen anything like that.

After that show there was a TV show (now defunkt) called "West 57th" Some blond woman interviewed Bono and they showed some clips from the show.

The stage was an immense box, and the crowd was incredible - thousands packed in body to body.

crazy...
Old 05-09-2002, 01:40 PM   #29
War Child

ouizy:
Well, yeah, it was pretty intense in the crowd at the Vancouver '87 concert, especially against the metal fence right up at front. I remember the crowd swaying to the music...it was like ocean-waves of people, and I would get moved about 15 feet without my feet touching the ground, back and forth like that. Bono had to tell the crowd to cool it because the band "didn't want another Cincinatti" to happen. Besides some people passing out and being taken away by bouncers/security, nobody got hurt.

But, after the show ended, it was interesting to see personal items strewn about everywhere: runners, pants(!), socks, watches, shirts...what people lose in those crowds!
Old 05-09-2002, 01:56 PM   #30
Refugee

Front Row # 1
front row in san antonio popmart show, right against the inside of the catwalk. go moved up b/cthe ticket i had been issued didnt exist (the seats were #' 27&28 and the #'s only went up to 25.) I was there so early and went back to get re-ticekted. there were two ladies working and one said to the other go a a head and give them the good ones. she handed us fron row tickets. awesome show, the day after michael hutchence died.

Front Row # 2
Elevation tour Charlotte. Front row dead center in front of Bono. He grabbed my hand several times. was amazing to be that close and see expressions, and communication between the band. Very cool, an experience i will never forget. During Streets I felt like i was right in the middle of rattle and hum the movie, very surreal.

Front # 3 & 4
Dallas and Houston In April Elevation shows. Dont know if this counts but i was in the front row at the tip of the heart and both nights bono grabbed my hand during utteow to pull himself up. both shows were great and was still incredible, although nothing will top the charlotte experience.

jp

[This message has been edited by jphelmet (edited 05-09-2002).]
Old 05-09-2002, 05:23 PM   #31
The Fly

I was front row right in front of Edge at the first San Jose Elevation show. I didn't have to line up all that early since that was the first leg of the tour. I lined up at 9:30am and was 26th in line. (In Utah on the second leg, 7:30am got me 209th place in line.) I wasn't particularly squished. There's probably more squishing if you're right in front of Bono when he reaches into the crowd.

If this picture works, the bright green dot in the fist row is my green bandana

[This message has been edited by u2utah (edited 05-10-2002).]
Old 05-09-2002, 08:44 PM   #32
The Fly

Front row for Popmart Pittsburgh in 1997 right in front of Edge and front row at Pittsburgh Elevation right in front of Bono.

- andy
Old 05-10-2002, 02:00 AM   #33
War Child

front row at the Cow Palace in San Francisco in 1985 on UF Tour...
Old 05-10-2002, 09:02 AM   #34
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by DiGi:
You were in Tampa. I was so mad about the GA line when they did not open the doors to the floor. I ended up 2nd row right under bono's mic stand, but should have been in the front row imo. anyway here is one of my pics.
Hi digi and meegannie! I was alerted to this thread by a fellow U2NYC group member since I was at the Tampa show. I was #10 in the GA line and ended up being the VERY FIRST person inside the heart. I have pictures, including one of the people on the front rail just before the show. Let me know if you are interested.

FYI, I drove down from the northeast straight through in over 20 hours with 2 other fans. We got to the Ice Palace around 4pm the day before the concert and decided to camp out in the beautiful Florida weather! Being right in front of Bono was surprisingly tame. No worse pushing than a couple rows deep (plus you have the rail to brace yourself if necessary).
Old 05-10-2002, 09:18 AM   #35
The Fly

Local Time: 05:49 AM
I was front row at the first Dublin show on Popmart (30/8/97!). It was a terrible crush - I thought my ribs were going to get broken! Lots of people were getting pulled out by local security (wusses! LOL). Local security even asked me a bunch of times if I wanted to get out of there but I held on. I mean I was *front row* - was I going to sacrifice being that close to the band just because I might get internal injuries?! I don't think so! :-D
Old 05-10-2002, 10:19 AM   #36
Acrobat

Front row in front of the Edge, Atlanta Elevation (1st leg). Awesome experience!
Old 05-10-2002, 12:33 PM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 06:49 AM
Hmm.... don't know if I dare to answer this without getting jumped on by some people.

Front row along the ramp in Oslo, Popmart (right where the lemon stopped and didn't open, great view inside LOL ) Also front row in Jacksonville and Miami for Popmart, at the b-stage where they entered it.

For Elevation I had front row a few times....ehhh... most shows and one outside the heart at the tip.

I must say though that it never even came close to as squeezey as I thought it would be. I had VERY nice experience at every show, except for maybe one, when it comes to get crushed by people. Even at the outside tip it was ok.

And yes, I waited an insane amount of hours in line. But whereelse then around U2 fans do you want to be when it's that close in time to a show as the same day?
Old 05-10-2002, 01:32 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Ouizy~~~~jumps on MissZooropa!!!!!!!!!

Arghhh.

Wow - that is pretty amazing.
Old 05-10-2002, 04:11 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by crulewich:
Hi digi and meegannie! I was alerted to this thread by a fellow U2NYC group member since I was at the Tampa show. I was #10 in the GA line and ended up being the VERY FIRST person inside the heart. I have pictures, including one of the people on the front rail just before the show. Let me know if you are interested.
I would love to see your pics! I have a few scanned somewhere (I think) that I can email you if you'd like (I don't have a website or I'd post them). I was #43 in line (ended up being second or third to last person on the rail on the Edge's side). I was in the second corral-type thing. We built a shelter out of sleeping bags and blankets (when boredom set in and it started to get hot). It was a lot of fun until all hell broke loose with the whole GA line thing.

Old 05-11-2002, 02:33 AM   #40
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by crulewich:

Did I meet in you Publix? Not sure why I think I met #10 when I was buying a chair (I might be wrong). I was #87 and was so pissed when I saw someone with a high # in front of me for Tampa as I went into the heart. I got over it nice and quick though.

I would love to see your pictures if you have them. I have other Tampa photos on my website, but most did not turn out real well. If you are interested though http://www.15five.com/u2pics/tampabay/