Sept. 11th Tribute "Walk On"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roland of Gilead

Gunslinger
Someone who has only heard the album version of Walk On is really missing out. The Tribute version is fantastic, as are both the Boston DVD one and the Godrich single format. One charateristic of U2 that really separates the band from other bands is their ability to progessively transform already brilliant songs into pure bliss.

Walk On is a fine example of this.

Hey tackleberry!
The Tribute to Heroes version is my favorite version too! I have the DVD...the "Hello from London" part and the "hallelujah"s just kill me every time! And that POE snippet is sooooo beautiful....
I love it, and I got surround sound over the weekend, so I have just been watching it over and over again!!!

I agree. The best version of "walk on" - hands down. I love the "I'll see you when I get home, sister" lines at the end.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

My only problem with the "Tribute" version is that it is missing the "home" part and Edge's (short) solo. Was this edited out? I was pretty sure they played the entire song that night.

I don't know about anyone else, but U2's performance of Walk On on the Tribute to Heroes Telecast was in my opinion the best version of that song. I bought the album of the telethon and I can't stop listening to it. At this point, I'd rather listen to this version than the studio album one. It really shows you how much a song can grow on tour. Mix that in with some genuine raw emotion and the Peace on Earth intro and you have a fabulous version of the song. I also love when Bono goes off about coming home. And I believe the "Sister" line refers to New York City. It makes a lot of sense.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

I like all versions of Walk On ( except for some really shitty live boots versions ), especially this one from Tribute for heroes .

My only problem with the "Tribute" version is that it is missing the "home" part and Edge's (short) solo. Was this edited out? I was pretty sure they played the entire song that night.

The "home" part was not played. The version of the song performed at the Tribute concert was not the full version.

Back
Top Bottom