Selling out.... who?..... U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zooropa man

Refugee
Ok, I've had it with critics and synical a-holes ripping the band apart when they took part in their ipod/vertigo commercial. They talked about how they were "selling out". Selling out!, please. Bands like green day and other have been "selling out". You here green days fricking songs for different verizon or whatever phone Co. commercial and they don't get any crap. Why is that? Gorillaz too. I mean, I just don't get why they are so bias towards the band at times when they take on something that was not even selling out. It was promoting their material. Yet, others(green shit), take their promotion to another level, SELLING OUT!!!!!! ...... just a thought. ;- /

namkcuR said:

Who is that aimed towards?

Well in your last thread you seemed to get quite angry when people did not give you/your post the respect is or anyone deserves on this board.

I just think maybe we could start to change this place to our likings and this post might have deserved more thought/consideration then a reply like:

Cynical. Hear.

Learn to spell.

Just a thought though.

Tarvark said:

Well in your last thread you seemed to get quite angry when people did not give you/your post the respect is or anyone deserves on this board.

I just think maybe we could start to change this place to our likings and this post might have deserved more thought/consideration then a reply like:

Just a thought though.

Well, ok, fair enough.

I agree that people are sometimes too quick to cry 'sellout'. It's true. But there are other people too, whose minds I think should be a little more open to the possibility. Not to liking the possibility, but just to the possibility.

That said, misspelling of simple words like that just rubs me the wrong way.

namkcuR said:

Well, ok, fair enough.

I agree that people are sometimes too quick to cry 'sellout'. It's true. But there are other people too, whose minds I think should be a little more open to the possibility. Not to liking the possibility, but just to the possibility.

That said, misspelling of simple words like that just rubs me the wrong way.

Yeah sorry if I was confrontational I just think thats how this place will be as great as it can be.

I really dont think they have gone down that path. It is an easy world to get sucked in to and as long as it does not undermine or comprimise the music I am fine with it.

I think 'Green Shit' is uncalled for. They made a better album than U2 last year.

no they did not make a better album than U2. they made a very good album. by far their best album. but not a better album by any stretch of the imagination. they capitalized on people's fears and the political and media trends and didn't do a fantastic job of hiding it.

popmart86 said:
i think he means green day:|

Phew...I was racking my brains there...:|

I was being sarcastic...I don't get why he thinks being bloody immature and just calling them 'Green Shit' like some ten year old is going to assist his argument in any way...?

scottyT said:
no they did not make a better album than U2. they made a very good album. by far their best album. but not a better album by any stretch of the imagination. they capitalized on people's fears and the political and media trends and didn't do a fantastic job of hiding it.

Just opinion. And I am not alone, even at this forum. If you look beyond this forum, a large percentage of people would say American Idiot is better than HTDAAB. You don't have to agree, but shouldn't use terms like "any stretch of the imagination".

Kids, sorry for the typos, Geez, give me a break.... Besides, I didn't create this to emphasize on that...

Now to the subject. Yes, I agree that they have made their best album to date(Green Day that is...), but it is not better then U2's by any means. I just have this dilemma with the media and others flaming the band because of the approach that they took on promoting the single and their album. True, everyone does it, but why did they take all the heat? Why is it bad for U2 to do an iPod commercial and okay for Green Day & the Gorillaz to do one? Why don't we hear any negative backlash from those same ones that flamed U2? That is the problem that I have. And I'm glad that U2 didn't win anything at the VMA's because they have been really unsupportive of the band and of their latest album. They really have. The video didn't get any play on MTV or hardly any for that matter. The VMA's are a joke. They have been getting worse and worse every year. I know that I stepped into another topic but it kind of relates. It just seems that the negative aspect always overshadows the good.

gareth brown said:

Phew...I was racking my brains there...:|

I was being sarcastic...I don't get why he thinks being bloody immature and just calling them 'Green Shit' like some ten year old is going to assist his argument in any way...?

Relax, I was being sarcastic.....

I think people expect a little more out of U2 than of bands like Green Day and Gorillaz because they are from a different era when it was considered unthinkable for a rock band - particularly one that had such a long history and reputation for having very lofty ideals - to let their music be used in a commercial. I'm old enough to remember when there was a huge controversy when the Beatles song "Revolution" was used in a Nike commercial (although in that case you couldn't blame the Beatles for it because Michael Jackson outbid Paul McCartney for the Beatles' publishing rights which they had lost a long time ago and were later put up for auction).

But I don't think the iPod ad damaged their reputation that much. I actually expected them to get more heat for it than they really did. I think doing it for that specific product rather for a Hummer or something like that which let them get off fairly easily.

I think it's a combination of things that have happened lately that have caused a lot of people to start using the term "sell-out" and the iPod thing is really only a small part of it. There's a current thread in the U2 News forum about them discontinuing their free message board on U2.com, for instance. And then there's the high ticket prices and a whole bunch of things I'm too tired to go into right now.

Zooropa man said:
Kids, sorry for the typos, Geez, give me a break.... Besides, I didn't create this to emphasize on that...

Now to the subject. Yes, I agree that they have made their best album to date(Green Day that is...), but it is not better then U2's by any means. I just have this dilemma with the media and others flaming the band because of the approach that they took on promoting the single and their album. True, everyone does it, but why did they take all the heat? Why is it bad for U2 to do an iPod commercial and okay for Green Day & the Gorillaz to do one? Why don't we hear any negative backlash from those same ones that flamed U2? That is the problem that I have.

My feeling is that people expect better from U2. When a band I don't care about does something I don't really like it doesn't bother me. But if a band I like and respect does the same thing, it irks. :shrug:

Bono's shades said:
I'm old enough to remember when there was a huge controversy when the Beatles song "Revolution" was used in a Nike commercial (although in that case you couldn't blame the Beatles for it because Michael Jackson outbid Paul McCartney for the Beatles' publishing rights which they had lost a long time ago and were later put up for auction).

Paulie isn't as clean as you might think. He owns the Buddy Holly catalogue and sold the songs for commercials as well. Hand him a towel; he's only crying 'cause he didn't win the auction.

namkcuR said:
Cynical. Hear.

Learn to spell.

Now now, didn't Rob and I do a bit of correction for someone else in that dept.?

<--hmtmkmkm from Poplemon.

I was usually kidding, bad spelling doesn't bother me as much as I let on.

+++

I think it's a double standard, but what can you do. Gorillaz Inc isn't even a real band, it's a cartoon!

Green Day do have an album called "Dookie"; I think their fans just let them off the hook much easier than U2's fans. IMO.

The higher the pedestal, the higher the fall.

bsp77 said:

Just opinion. And I am not alone, even at this forum. If you look beyond this forum, a large percentage of people would say American Idiot is better than HTDAAB. You don't have to agree, but shouldn't use terms like "any stretch of the imagination".
i think you will find that your wrong there, i dont know where you got your figures, but ALOT of the people on this forum belvie bomb to be better than "american idot", which to me sounds like every other american punk rock band, i.e. blink 182 or something,

your entitled to your opinion, but i dont think you should try and make your opinion strech out the majority of the board

KUEFC09U2 said:
i think you will find that your wrong there, i dont know where you got your figures, but ALOT of the people on this forum belvie bomb to be better than "american idot", which to me sounds like every other american punk rock band, i.e. blink 182 or something,

your entitled to your opinion, but i dont think you should try and make your opinion strech out the majority of the board

Didn't say the majority of the forum, just that I am not alone. Read what I typed not what you assumed.

Obviously more people like HTDAAB here, but outside of this forum...

Look, I love both albums but Green Day made a masterpiece last year. I was not trying to start a fight, I just don't like name calling like Green Shit to make a point.

I loved American Idiot when it came out, listened to it all the time. The only Green Shi, sorry, Day album that I could enjoy every song!

I've always hated the sell-out phrase - it means absolutely nout to me. U2's latest album def. does it for me. Sure i'd like the ticket prices to be cheaper.
But I know when I pay £10 to see Norwegian Troll King, Mortiis at Clink Prison, London - that I will be getting about 10 songs and a warm beer. Whereas, paying £80 for U2 in the M.Stadium in Cardiff, i'll be getting 20 odd songs pumped out by my fave. band, and the greatest feeling during the whole gig.

The I-Pod ad didnt bother me - I never even saw it. I purchased one tho on the strength of all the talk about it, and to kind of 'move with the times' I guess.

Aardvark747 said:
I loved American Idiot when it came out, listened to it all the time. The only Green Shi, sorry, Day album that I could enjoy every song!

I've always hated the sell-out phrase - it means absolutely nout to me. U2's latest album def. does it for me. Sure i'd like the ticket prices to be cheaper.
But I know when I pay £10 to see Norwegian Troll King, Mortiis at Clink Prison, London - that I will be getting about 10 songs and a warm beer. Whereas, paying £80 for U2 in the M.Stadium in Cardiff, i'll be getting 20 odd songs pumped out by my fave. band, and the greatest feeling during the whole gig.

The I-Pod ad didnt bother me - I never even saw it. I purchased one tho on the strength of all the talk about it, and to kind of 'move with the times' I guess.
on average how much do you spend on a good night out around town? including taxis, something to eat, etc? £100?, so if theres 3 of you out, and you spend £100 each thats £300 gone on what? drink? food?, or you could spend that £300 on going to see your favorite band, doing something you dont get to do every saturday night, and having one of the best nights out ever,

thats my argument against the "oh tickets are too expensive" debate

KUEFC09U2 said:
on average how much do you spend on a good night out around town? including taxis, something to eat, etc? £100?, so if theres 3 of you out, and you spend £100 each thats £300 gone on what? drink? food?, or you could spend that £300 on going to see your favorite band, doing something you dont get to do every saturday night, and having one of the best nights out ever,

thats my argument against the "oh tickets are too expensive" debate

Fully agree...:up:

bsp77 said:
I think 'Green Shit' is uncalled for. They made a better album than U2 last year.

I agree that "Green Shit" is not necessary.

However, I strongly disagree that Green Day made a better album. I've heard it - and it sounds exactly like 1995's "Dookie". Seems that Green Day's sound becomes popular every 10 years. I guess in 2014/2015, we'll see another Green Day punk revival. :rolleyes: But I digress... people are insulting U2 for daring to sound like their past work, but "American Idiot" is just like "Dookie" - no change at all! I was expecting more from Green Day - a LOT more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom