Second U2 Cover Contest Match - Vote Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your favorite

• So Cruel

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • The Saints Are Coming

Votes: 16 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Next time we do this, I suggest we separate covers with backing tracks and homemade covers from scratch into different brackets, because it's impossible to compare the two. :|

LemonMelon said:
Next time we do this, I suggest we separate covers with backing tracks and homemade covers from scratch into different brackets, because it's impossible to compare the two. :|

If I'm understanding this correct, someone who simply sings over a canned backing track, can beat out someone who recorded an entire song?

yuck.

MrBrau1 said:

If I'm understanding this correct, someone who simply sings over a canned backing track, can beat out someone who recorded an entire song?

yuck.

It happened last time. :drool:

Why doesnt everyone use candid backing tracks, and just sing.
Then we can just vote on the singing. :shrug:

I'm sure not a lot of people know how to record an entire song.

Well I dont know, at least it would be fair?
I agree that it should be one way or the other.

perhaps just acoustic?

i don't really like using backing tracks im very unconfortable (holy crap i cant spell! how do you spell the word?) singing without playing an instrument

but personally i don't really mind the way it is now

things are fine as they are.
do whatever you want, vote for whatever you want.
keep it simple.

btw - funny that folk thought 'streets' was a 'canned backing track'...i thought the pianos and spacy guitars and such made it sufficiently different. for those interested in details, mine is a half step higher than the original (u2 does almost everything with all the instruments tuned down a half step - joshua tree's 'streets' was in D flat, mine straight D).

brau1 - thanks for my back, bro..

SO, this is just me venting, take it for what you will...

My understanding of a U2 Cover Contest is that you (the person entering the contest) are submitting YOUR version of a U2 song. It can be you trying to replicate the original, changing it up to make it different, acoustic versions, etc. You are COVERING a U2 song.

Entering you singing over someone else's pre-made track is a whole other ball game...although, unless they are entering as a team...hmmm :hmm:

Any ways...U2 Cover Contest, U2 Karaoke Contest - two different things. But don't listen to me. I'm bitchy cos I was up late trying to finish my entry.

Need...coffee...must have...coffee

Voted for Saints. Thought the vocals were a little better.

The guitar on So Cruel was pretty well done though.

dudeman said:
things are fine as they are.
do whatever you want, vote for whatever you want.
keep it simple.

btw - funny that folk thought 'streets' was a 'canned backing track'...i thought the pianos and spacy guitars and such made it sufficiently different. for those interested in details, mine is a half step higher than the original (u2 does almost everything with all the instruments tuned down a half step - joshua tree's 'streets' was in D flat, mine straight D).

brau1 - thanks for my back, bro..

dudeman - I'm a musician myself and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed with your version of Streets. Kicked arse. The spacy guitar effect sounded really cool.

neilm said:

dudeman - I'm a musician myself and I have to say I was thoroughly impressed with your version of Streets. Kicked arse. The spacy guitar effect sounded really cool.

thanks mate, much appreciated. glad you liked it.:wink:

on the subject Brau and Sicy were discussing on the last page I think it would be much better if we could have seperate competitions in the future. One for those singing along to a pre-made backing track and one for those are playing/producing everything themselves because I sure as hell am focusing on the latter in a more than perfectionist matter as usual and am terrified at having to record my vocals once I've got all the instruments down if Sicy's suggesting it all be done to backing tracks in the future and judged on the singing!! :ohmy:

is it too late to enter a song?

I like the idea of separating accoustic/vocal (or any one instrument only with vocals) versions from multi-instrument/vocal versions. I think that the music and vocals should all be done from scratch as the only prerequisite. Its okay to have winners in 2 different categories I would think.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom