Scariest U2 song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beautiful Ghost (on Rare & Unreleased)...it's very creepy and Halloween-y. Bullet gives a scary vibe live, as does Exit.

Then again, The Playboy Mansion is a pretty scary song...scary as in :yikes:.

the opening to Mothers of the Disappeared...with the scratching...up to the moment when the acoustic kicks in

Night and Day off the Red Hot and Blue compilation. Bono said he wanted to accentuate the stalker-esque nature of Cole Porter's lyrics, and how it wasn't a love song but one of obsession.

Really atmospheric and creepy.

As for songs they wrote themselves...I'd say Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk.

Love is blindness is (once it kicks in) a bit creepy, and I think the ocean is pretty haunted too!
U2 have quite a few scary songs, I never realised!

I reckon Elevation.. because it is the most shallow, gimmicky, commercial, and corporate product they have produced. That is the scary side of U2

I always thought Babyface, Tomorrow, and The Wanderer had a certain creepiness to them that I enjoyed.

I vote for "Exit"... probably one of the darkest/most intense songs U2 have ever made.

Last edited:
I'm actually writing a psychological thriller novel. The initial inspiration was actually the lyrics of Mothers Of The Disappeared, and that was the working title for awhile.

Exit and Mothers Of The Disappeared.

It's not as if U2 makes truly scary music though. We have death and doom metal and drone doom for that. :wink:

Definitely Exit. The first time I ever listened to it, it was the middle of the night, and I was all alone. It frightened me. But then I listened to it again and again. It's dark and intense and almost painfull. The band is in top form, and every aspect of the song conveys the anguish the character is going through.

There's an intro to a song on the Best of 1980-1990 b-sides disc that scared the hell out of me the first time I listened to it. I can't remember the track name. I think it was the studio version of Silver and Gold. It sounded like ghosts wailing :sad:

The start of "Love and Peace" is downright mean. Factor in the rattlesnake hiss later on, and I think that's the spookiest song.

Corpse and Exit are pretty dark too, though...

Tough one... but Exit and MOTD are right up there.

They'd be more scary if they weren't great pieces of music!

Queen Bee said:
There's an intro to a song on the Best of 1980-1990 b-sides disc that scared the hell out of me the first time I listened to it. I can't remember the track name. I think it was the studio version of Silver and Gold. It sounded like ghosts wailing :sad:
Endless Deep?

From Flagan's book, In cold blood - a poem Bono tried to include on Zooropa or recite live:

"I read a book once, called "In Cold Blood" About a murder in the neighborhood Pages of facts did me no good I read it like a blind man, in cold blood So the story of a three-year-old child Raped by soldiers though she'd already died Made the mother watch as they fucked her in the mud I'm reading the story now in cold blood More now coming off the wire City surrounded, funeral pyre Life is cheaper than talking about it People choke on their politician's vomit On cable television I saw a woman weep Live by satellite from a flood-ridden street Boy mistaken for a wastepaper bin Body that a child used to live in I saw plastic explosives and an alarm clock And the wrong men sitting in the dock Karma is a word I never understood How Cod could take a four-year-old in cold blood I live by a beach but it feels like New York I hear about ten murders before I get to work What's it going to be, Lord, fire or flood An act of mercy or in cold blood?"

Back
Top Bottom