Scalping now legal in NY - How will this affect getting U2 tickets day of show?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twochordcool

Acrobat
I'm afraid of how legalizing ticket scalping in New York will affect trying to acquire U2 tickets on the day of the concert in the future - it was ALREADY a miserable experience trying to compete with the scum of society, who have no interest whatsoever in going to the concert, for tickets in the past.

Two Decembers ago I went to try to get tickets, day of show, for U2 in Hartford, CT, as I have successfully done on numerous occasions before.

Only on this particular day the scum of the earth were out in full force, aggressively buying up as many tickets as they could to scalp, probably for many hundreds of percent profit, cutting in front of people, bumping people, coming back multiple times for tickets - hiring homeless drunks to wait in line for tickets - and the box office knew what was going on and did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I don't know how close I came to getting a knife in the gut that day, being a guy that doesn't like bull shit or injustice, especially of this magnitude.

I'm afraid of what kind of zoo-like atmosphere it will be next time around with ticket scalping legal now.

I only know that it will deepen my hate for a particular kind of person when I have to deal with this again.

I may have to have an "if you can't beat them join them" attitude and save up as much money and buy up as many tickets as possible day of show - I usually make this a full day thing anyhow - expecting to have to wait in line indefinitely until tickets become available. I'll just turn around and sell them at face value or any offer over it.

It's really disgusting to have to deal with these horrible vultures who have no interest in seeing a U2 concert - quite obviously also.

Anyhow, after waiting in line for GA's for 13 hours to no avail, and watching scalpers buy up probably hundreds of tickets, I gave the people in the box office a SERIOUS ass chewing about this.

Perhaps out of sympathy for waiting so long and not getting tickets, or out of fear of getting into some kind of trouble over selling so many tickets to scalpers, as U2 played their first song I was waved over to the box office, and they slid 2 tickets, with a face value of like $165 per, under the counter and was told "just take these and walk away".

It worked out for me and my wife but I was still disgusted over what I watched the entire fucking day.

Ticket scalping comes out of the shadows
By DAVID B. CARUSO Associated Press Writer
Article Last Updated: 05/31/2007 06:53:28 AM CDT

NEW YORK- The days of seeking out ticket-scalpers in the shadows, ducking into alleys and dodging police for that elusive Yankees-Red Sox seat are fading fast.
New York is poised this week to become the latest state to ease or eliminate decades-old restrictions on scalping.

For the first time, it would become entirely legal in the state for average fans to scalp their seats on the Internet. And, for better or worse, they could sell those tickets at what ever price the market is willing to bear.

The state assembly approved the changes Tuesday. The Senate is expected to follow suit, and Gov. Eliot Spitzer could sign the measure by Friday, when the state's old anti-scalping law expires.

"If you have something to sell, you should be able to sell it for what it is truly worth," said Sean Pate, spokesman for the online ticket broker StubHub Inc., which lobbied hard for the change.

Some old regulations would stay in place. Scalpers would still be banned from selling tickets within 1,500 feet of large arenas, like Madison Square Garden and Yankee Stadium, and within 500 feet of smaller venues.

Large-volume brokers would still need to get a license, too.

It's those brokers who have Russ Haven of the New York Public Interest Research Group worried. Haven argues that lifting the price caps will only prompt greedy opportunists to snap up every available seat, and then jack up prices.

"I think this is a bum deal for consumers," Haven said. "As it is, seats to popular events are often selling for 10 times their face price."

"It may be that there will be some portion of tickets that go for less than face value, but that's not what they're all banking on," he said of the brokers and ticket agencies pushing for change.

Other states have also reconsidered anti-scalping laws.

Minnesota tossed its old anti-scalping laws this spring. The state previously allowed tickets to be resold only at face value.

A bill that would ease Missouri's ban on selling tickets to sporting events at more than face value passed the legislature and is now before the governor.

Illinois and Florida also recently did away with old anti-scalping rules, and bills to ease restrictions are under discussion in Massachusetts and Connecticut.

The shift has been propelled in part by the explosion of Internet ticket sales that has made it nearly impossible for states to enforce price caps. New York's old rule limiting a seller's profits to no more than 45 percent over face value has been widely ignored online.

But perhaps the biggest change was a switch in business strategy by some of the sports and entertainment companies that previously fought scalping the hardest: Realizing that a multibillion-dollar market was being left untapped, a growing number of teams and theaters have been entering the secondary ticket market themselves.

The NCAA signed a deal last year to resell tournament tickets through RazorGator.com. The NBA and some NFL teams have made Ticketmaster their official reseller under an agreement that gives teams a percentage of the profit when a seat is resold.

"There is obviously a business opportunity here for us," said Ticketmaster vice president Joseph Freeman.

Yet to be seen is how much control sports teams, theaters and concert halls will retain over the tickets being resold. Some have pushed for legislation that would limit reselling to venue-approved brokerages, in part to cut down on the possibility of fraud.

Both the New York Yankees and their archrival Boston Red Sox recently made a practice of cracking down on season ticket holders caught selling their unwanted seats on the Internet, in violation of team policy.

New York's new rules, if signed in their current form, would actually ban New York sports teams from taking such punitive action.

"My feeling is, if I have a ticket, and I can't go to a ballgame, I should certainly have a right to give it to my brother or my cousin—and if they want to pay me for it, why should I have to go through the Yankees to do it?" state Sen. Dean G. Skelos said.

:eyebrow: I have an answer...buy them OUTSIDE of NY! i know, I know, easier said then done!! you would think someone would be on OUR side!! nuts to scalpers!:madspit:

If people refused to pay those insane prices, scalping would no longer be a problem. I definitely don't think scalping is right, but I also think somebody who's willing to pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for a concert ticket needs their head checked.

Ticketmaster certainly doesn't have the consumer's best interests in mind, nor does ebay or even the venues. All they're interested in is $$$$. What it has to come down to, then, is the bands. Plenty of other bands have found ways to thwart scalpers. If U2 wants tickets for their shows to end up in the hands of people who really want to see them at a fair price, they have to do something about it. The fact that they haven't so far is sort of embarrassing, because they can afford the best business and marketing minds to help them come up with a plan. Given the presale fiasco last time around, though, and the fact that the lottery was pretty much a joke, I think they're going to make a lot of changes for the next tour. I don't have any ideas as to what, but I think they know a lot of fans got screwed over.

I have only purchased tickets through ticketmaster once for U2 and that was during POP. All the other times was through a ticket broker aka scalper.

it wont affect anything really, tickets were still being scalped through "brokers" anyway

Chizip said:
it wont affect anything really, tickets were still being scalped through "brokers" anyway

Have you ever tried getting tickets for a U2 concert day of show at Madison Square Garden? If it's anything like it was at the Hartford Civic Center it's as if half the youth population of Compton and Harlem decends on it and tries to scarf up every available ticket in order for them to go outside on the streets and sell them to somebody like you or I for triple or quadruple the money - and if they're GA's forget about it. Quite disgusting really. Kills the pre-concert vibe for me entirely if I am still trying to get tickets while witnessing this for too long.

exactly, people were already scalping anyway, now that they changed the law its not going to affect anything much, because people didnt obey the law in the first place

twochordcool said:

it's as if half the youth population of Compton and Harlem decends on it and tries to scarf up every available ticket in order for them to go outside on the streets and sell them to somebody like you or I for triple or quadruple the money

It's an awfully long trip to scalp tickets in New York if you're coming from Compton. No wonder they charge so much.

Joking aside, whether or not you intended it to, that statement sounds very racist, to me at least. I've seen plenty of scalpers outside of shows who weren't black.

U2, like Pearl Jam, could come up with a decent system to ensure their paid up members get tix. They just choose not to.

As for the scalpers, it's just supply and demand. They are getting their lunch eaten on the Police tour, because people aren't buying. That's the only solution.

toscano said:
U2, like Pearl Jam, could come up with a decent system to ensure their paid up members get tix. They just choose not to.

Pearl Jam's system is slightly better, but doesn't ensure shit. Plus, numbers alone this isn't a comparable analogy.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Pearl Jam's system is slightly better, but doesn't ensure shit. Plus, numbers alone this isn't a comparable analogy.

what are the numbers ?

Keeping ticket scalping illegal does very much the same thing as making drugs illegal -- the people willing to take the risk are the ones who control the sales. The demand will always be met by someone -- legally or not. At least with scalping being legal there is less chance of those who choose to go that route getting fraudulent tickets.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

The amount of U2 fans compared to PJ fans.

"U2, like Pearl Jam, could come up with a decent system to ensure their paid up members get tix. They just choose not to."

"numbers alone this isn't a comparable analogy."

So, what are the numbers ?

Here's a clue to the correct answer, it will be in numbers

toscano said:

"U2, like Pearl Jam, could come up with a decent system to ensure their paid up members get tix. They just choose not to."

"numbers alone this isn't a comparable analogy."

So, what are the numbers ?

Here's a clue to the correct answer, it will be in numbers

My point being is that if U2 had a decent system to "ensure" paid up fans, everyone would join, and there would be whole cities that would sale out in just the members pre sale alone.

No one has a system that "ensures" paid up members, and it would be impossible at U2's fanbase size.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I know this isn't a serious question.

well, i don't think i know anyone on this board that isn't a pearl jam fan too...

U2Man said:
are we sure that there isn't the same amount of u2 and p7 fans?

doesn't matter, it wasn't the point, regardless was Pearl jam playing as many shows ?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

My point being is that if U2 had a decent system to "ensure" paid up fans, everyone would join, and there would be whole cities that would sale out in just the members pre sale alone.

No one has a system that "ensures" paid up members, and it would be impossible at U2's fanbase size.

Right, scalpers would be joining just like they did the U2 fan club, NOT

Give everyone 2 tix to one show, make them show id at will call.

U2 played I think 6 shows in LA/OC on the first leg of Vertigo tour, that's 120,000-ish seats. I highly doubt there would be 60000 fans in this area willing to pay fan club membership, many attendees were multiple show attendees and they were still releasing tix the days of the show

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You may not be aware, but there is this great big world outside these blue screens.

nope. that's a cock-and-bull story.

Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse It's an awfully long trip to scalp tickets in New York if you're coming from Compton. No wonder they charge so much.

Joking aside, whether or not you intended it to, that statement sounds very racist, to me at least. I've seen plenty of scalpers outside of shows who weren't black

Well, I'm not one to be politically correct or sugar-coat things so as to not offend anyone. I'm a firm believer of the "if it quacks like a duck..." philosophy.

I'm sorry, just not a huge fan of some punk inner city street kids, that have zero intentions of ever going to a U2 concert, trying to beat me to reasonably priced tickets for a concert that I have every intention of going to, only so they can try to turn around and charge me way more money than any desperate tempted U2 fanatic should ever even consider buying them for.

People will pay these outrageous prices, especially in New York, and that will keep ticket prices on the street for U2 tickets OUTRAGEOUSLY high, and a lot of true fans will be ripped off...or sent home broken hearted after not seeing them because they could not afford to - or because they set a limit on just how much they were willing to pay.

But I think a lot of people will pay, causing scalpers to run amok - more than they already do.

Last edited:
twochordcool said:

Well, I'm not one to be politically correct or sugar-coat things so as to not offend anyone. I'm a firm believer of the "if it quacks like a duck..." philosophy.

So if you sound like an idiot then what?

Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

So if you sound like an idiot then what?

Then I guess you'd be an idiot.

Are you trying to imply something?

Are you OK with being exploited by street thugs who just so happen to be mostly black? Are you so "ACLU" that you sympathise with them more than you do the people they are trying to rip off?

You act like I should feel guilty for simply describing the situation accurately - mostly black kids trying to rip off mostly white U2 fans.

I won't apologize for accurately profiling your typical scalper. I didn't say anything racist - I just notice and describe it - don't shoot the messenger.

And if it makes you feel any better I'd be just as irritated if they were white rednecks.

Either way, I hope something is done so that fans can get tickets without having to deal with assholes - either waiting on the box office line for tickets amongst them whilst being pushed around and cutted in front of by them OR being forced to contemplate dealing with them if you fail to get tickets the preferred way.

Last edited:
twochordcool said:

Then I guess you'd be an idiot.

Are you trying to imply something?

Are you OK with being exploited by street thugs who just so happen to be mostly black? Are you so "ACLU" that you sympathise with them more than you do the people they are trying to rip off?

You act like I should feel guilty for simply describing the situation accurately - mostly black kids trying to rip off mostly white U2 fans.

I won't apologize for accurately profiling your typical scalper. I didn't say anything racist - I just notice and describe it - don't shoot the messenger.

And if it makes you feel any better I'd be just as irritated if they were white rednecks.

Either way, I hope something is done so that fans can get tickets without having to deal with assholes - either waiting on the box office line for tickets amongst them whilst being pushed around and cutted in front of by them OR being forced to contemplate dealing with them if you fail to get tickets the preferred way.

Your "compton" comment was simply ignorant. This has nothing to do with "PC", it was just an uneducated racist comment, period.

And just for your information, the majority of "street thugs" aren't the ones who bought the tickets, they are just a middle man out to make a dollar. This has nothing to do with black and white. Scalping has been around as long as concerts have been around. There's almost no way around it. Now with the internet, it's just made a lot easier, there are "companies" out there with multiple computers running and buying the tickets at the same time you and I are, then they find someone willing to stand out there and sell them.

WRONG!

It USED to be that you only had to compete with other U2 fans for available tickets at the box office come day of show, but they have caught on to that as well and have been making EVEN THAT miserable.

And whether you like it or not, out of about 20 of them in Hartford that day about 19 of them were black street-types with no interest whatsoever in U2.

And I was told it was even worse at Madison Square Garden.

I'm not talking about ticket brokers, though it would be just as nice to make them go away as well - I'm talking about inner city punk kids that figured out a way to rip people off - after rudely being in a lot of other fans faces all day.

This scum literally paid homeless smelly drunks to take up spaces on line at the box office in the middle of the night so that they could have all of those places in line to buy tickets come morning when they opened. I'm sorry, these particular people are scum, and they just happen to be black. But that's not my fault. I just describe it as I see it.

Don't twist my words as if I said black people are scum because that's not what I said.

Regardless, back on topic - more of this is what you get to look forward to because New York just did the EXACT OPPOSITE of what they should have done and legalized scalping - although they kept a ban on reselling tickets within 1500 feet of a large venue - a lot of good that will do. A TON of people who are OBVIOUSLY not U2 fans (hint hint) will still be allowed to push and shove real fans on line and compete for buying tickets. And this won't only be a one time a occurence - these same people kept coming back to buy more and more tickets. It was TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUS.

What they OUGHT to do is make people who purchase tickets go right into the show - or SOMETHING. But that won't really work if there is still 5 hours to go until show time.

It's a problem I'm not looking forward to again - even 5 years apart.

The ONLY good thing is the last time that I waited on line day of show for U2 tickets in NYC there were SO MANY people trying to get tickets these scalpers might not waste their time - or might only get one shot at getting tickets. In Hartford the lines were reasonably short up until only a few hours before the show - these people kept coming back and buying up everything.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom