Scalping now legal in NY - How will this affect getting U2 tickets day of show?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
twochordcool said:

If it's anything like it was at the Hartford Civic Center it's as if half the youth population of Compton and Harlem

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Your "compton" comment was simply ignorant. This has nothing to do with "PC", it was just an uneducated racist comment, period.

At least BIMM had a geographical argument for why he shouldn't have said Compton.

I take it you do approve of the Harlem stereotype though? :up:

Let's not call each other idiots, please...and could we also try to watch what we say in regards to things that could possibly be offensive? Yeah, I realize that's pretty broad, but I think it's obvious what I'm referring to.

Seriously, what moron thought it was a good idea to have scalping legalized? :grumpy: It's already difficult enough to get a ticket that's not horribly overpriced. :angry:

Bonochick said:
Let's not call each other idiots, please...

:uhoh:

twochordcool said:
WRONG!

It USED to be that you only had to compete with other U2 fans for available tickets at the box office come day of show, but they have caught on to that as well and have been making EVEN THAT miserable.

Well then you haven't been around long enough. Every show I've gone to U2 or not you've had to compete against scalpers, even day of the show.

twochordcool said:

And whether you like it or not, out of about 20 of them in Hartford that day about 19 of them were black street-types with no interest whatsoever in U2.

But the fact that you have to point their race to begin with is stupid, and the "compton-harlem" is just plain ignorant.

If you're going to be that obvious you might as well put on the hood and use the n word.

Bonochick said:
Let's not call each other idiots, please...and could we also try to watch what we say in regards to things that could possibly be offensive? Yeah, I realize that's pretty broad, but I think it's obvious what I'm referring to.

I just asked a question to point out the absurdity of someone's comments.

This law will have no affect at all.

For example, Red Sox ownership and Boston PD have have numerous "crackdowns" on scalping. Sure a few token arrests were made each time, but it has had no impact at all on the overall market. As soon as you get off the T near Fenway, a bunch of guys ask "anyone buying or selling." If there is money to be made on anything, then people will exploit tha fact.

If you really want to make an impact, go after the ticket brokers - who most likely utilize the street scalpers to move the tickets the day of the event before they become useless pieces of paper.

If anything, this law will make sure I don't get arrested if I decide to sell my tickets on craigs list or outside of the arena.

Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar Well then you haven't been around long enough. Every show I've gone to U2 or not you've had to compete against scalpers, even day of the show.

I've seen them like 6 times on 3 separate tours, buying tickets day of show for most - can't recall it ever being nearly as bad as it was 2 Decembers ago in Hartford.

Now that I'm thinking about it I heard they follow the band as well, from venue to venue, trying to make a ton of money by ripping off the fans.

Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar But the fact that you have to point their race to begin with is stupid, and the "compton-harlem" is just plain ignorant.

If you're going to be that obvious you might as well put on the hood and use the n word.

Well I'm not sorry about the description I gave you. Perhaps there's some truth to the fact that these particular people irritated me more than if it were clean-cut Wall Street business men doing more or less the exact same thing in a more polite manner. But it wasn't and therefore they are deserving of a lot of the hate and disgust brought upon themselves by their own behavior. And like I said, don't act as if I am lumping all African Americans in together - there are a lot of decent and professional black people out there but I can do without the gangsta-like street homies trying to rip me and fellow fans off.

"Anyhow, after waiting in line for GA's for 13 hours to no avail"

it sounds like you couuuuld have gotten tickets at some point, but only wanted GA's. trying to get GA's on a rerelease on the day of a show is a risky endeavor anyway. no "scalping" law is going to make it any more or less risky.

How come nobody is getting all PC in here about using the term "scalping"? Surely one of you will ride to the rescue of the Native American people soon?

No spoken words said:
How come nobody is getting all PC in here about using the term "scalping"? Surely one of you will ride to the rescue of the Native American people soon?

good thing you used Native American, otherwise the PC police would get on you. :wink:

No spoken words said:

:reject: I feel dirty.

They'll find a way to get on me anyway, scolding me for associating old school scalping with one group of people. Maybe I should form a "Let's scalp the Scalpers" coalition...I'm semi-sure U2 would get behind that, and THAT's how to bring U2 back into this thread.

Some old regulations would stay in place. Scalpers would still be banned from selling tickets within 1,500 feet of large arenas like Madison Square Garden and Yankee Stadium. Smaller venues would get a 500-foot buffer zone. Brokers who sell large numbers of tickets would still need a license.

Perhaps the thread starter is ignorant of the fact that a quarter mile plus radius around the arena will remain a no-scalp zone.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, then you, JCoster, better get part mad at someone, quick. Thread starter, perhaps? Maybe some of the first to respond, for not pointing this out.

Chizip said:
it sounds like you couuuuld have gotten tickets at some point, but only wanted GA's. trying to get GA's on a rerelease on the day of a show is a risky endeavor anyway. no "scalping" law is going to make it any more or less risky.

Logic :love:

Chizip said:
"Anyhow, after waiting in line for GA's for 13 hours to no avail"

On this particular day it turned out to be a mistake to wait indefinitely for GA's, which, admittedly, is what I did. But, 2 things - One, I've never had a problem getting GA's when I have waited in line for them at the box office on the day of the show in the past - granted this may have only been a few times, but I made the poor assumption that GA's ALWAYS become available on the day of show because they seemed to have always been available at the box office on the day of the show in the past. I learned the hard way that this isn't always the case. Finally, even though I REALLY wanted GA's I was really low on money at the time and could not afford anything else, and I wasn't about to purchase $50 behind the stage limited view seats.

U2 really have it kind of backwards - GA's are most desirable and they are the cheapest tickets!

But the ones that I ended up with for free, with a face value of $165 a piece, just off to The Edge's side of the stage, were INCREDIBLE!

It probably irritated me more than it would have, to witness these scalpers in action ALL DAY LONG, and watching the people at the box office keep right on selling them tickets ALL DAY LONG, had I had the money to take anything and been willing to take more or less anything, earlier in the day instead. After being subjected to this for 13 hours, especially after coming up empty handed, I was disgusted, nauseous, irritated, stressed, exhausted and pissed - it definitely shortened my life! And I guess it may have subconsciously caused me to STRONGLY DISLIKE a particular type of person more than I did before that day began.

And I wouldn't have been able to share this story with you about just how bad the scalper situation actually is!

Last edited:
No spoken words said:

That doesn't even make sense.:|

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That doesn't even make sense.:|

It's called a joke, BVS, that's why it's confusing you. Sorry for the mirth.

But, it does make sense, or, the people that laughed or replied to the comment would have been unable to.

No spoken words said:

It's called a joke, BVS, that's why it's confusing you. Sorry for the mirth.

It would have been a joke if scalping was somehow only associated with Native Americans, but scalping has been around since the dawn of warfare and is more associated with Scythian soldiers.

But I appreciate the insult.:|

Actually, you know better than that. Most people do in fact associate it with Native Americans, despite its origins. If you mean most academics associate it with Scythian soldiers, then you've got me. And so it's still a joke.

And, no insult intended, you just seem very very serious. Nothing wrong with that.

Back
Top Bottom