Scalpers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
So when U2 does go on tour again, what can they do to put an end to scalpers who buy up all the tickets before real hard core fans do and have to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars per ticket?

The thing is, there's very little the artist can do unless themselves unless they take control of sales themselves, and that's just not very feasible. Ticketmaster and the arenas don't care as long as they sell the tickets. Everything artist have attempted over the past decade or so, scalpers and dealers have found a way around...

Revive Prop somehow. Or use existing memership # and continual renewal to establish some sort of priority line. But allowing someone new to sign up for tickets in the same year as a new tour will be hell. It'll just be like last time. The hope is that some ticket broker won't renew a dozen memberships at $32 a year for 4 years in order to get to the next tour. Maybe he'll keep a few memberships instead or none at all. Maybe this is being too optimistic about those scalpers going away from the site. I don't know.

Why are all these brokers allowed to scalp is what I don't get. While a normal Ticketmaster price may be $50, if you go to the mall, say, that ticket would cost $100 or something. I don't get how they get all these tickets and can legally scalp.

In NZ we were only allowed to purchase 8 tickets per person. Then when they announced the 2nd show, we were only allowed 4 per person.

Is that done anywhere else?

Trinity3000 said:
In NZ we were only allowed to purchase 8 tickets per person. Then when they announced the 2nd show, we were only allowed 4 per person.

what? that is weird, I haven't seen that for any other band, why is that exactly for U2?

I've never had problems getting tickets legitimately, whether for U2 or any other band.

Of course, I'm also a nutcase who slept two nights at the local arena in March in order to get GA tickets for the Vertigo tour.

For the Elevation tour I saw them three times and I used Propaganda twice and bought nosebleeds at the arena for the other show.

Trinity3000 said:

Now that you mention it, it happened here too. It was introduced as an "anti-scalping measure" but I've no idea how successful it was.

I, too, left the house ridiculously early in the morning to queue for tickets.

There's only one way to slash the scalpers issue by 85-90%..no more internet sale......just sale the tickets at the arenas/stadiums box office...and by phone as well,of course.

But since it ain't gonna happen,well,do it the Pearl Jam way.

Selling the tickets at the arena and by phone only would reduce the scalpers take but way back when they used to only sell by phone and ticketmaster outlets the scalpers had infiltrated that as well. They would actually hire people trough temp agencies to call and wait in line. They woudl hire hundreds of people, put them in a room of phones each with a credit card and they would tell them to just keep calling and buying. They would do the same for people waiting in line. Hire hundreds of people to wait in line and buy. Believe me, they find a way.

Cigar said:
There's only one way to slash the scalpers issue by 85-90%..no more internet sale......just sale the tickets at the arenas/stadiums box office...and by phone as well,of course.

I bought plenty of tickets before the internet. Scalpers had them then too. They pay people to stand in line at the box office and ticket outlets and on the phone.

Cigar said:

You obviously never bought tickets pre-internet...

I know very well that scalping was in full force before the internet days.Camping outside the venues,paying homeless people to stay in line and keeping the scalpers places...i know all that.But by eleminating the "EBAY" scalpers it would erase a huge part of them..specialy the ,what i call "Out of town" scalpers..(L.A. scalpers getting tickets for ,let say, east cost cities shows,for instance.

And if you do what the local promoters do here in Montreal,(don't know if it's done else where),but you can have the lottery system,which is a week before tickets go on sale,fans are asked to go to the arena/stadium outlets,get a wristband with a number ,and on the day that tickets got on sale,they do a draw of a number.Let's they have give away 2000 wristbands and that number 133 is draw from the hat,then the next one in line is 134,135,136 ect..
all the way to 2000 and then going back to number 1 to 133.it works very well and it does discourage the scalpers for trying by the draw of the luck.

Cigar said:
I know very well that scalping was in full force before the internet days.Camping outside the venues,paying homeless people to stay in line and keeping the scalpers places...i know all that.But by eleminating the "EBAY" scalpers it would erase a huge part of them..specialy the ,what i call "Out of town" scalpers..(L.A. scalpers getting tickets for ,let say, east cost cities shows,for instance.

And if you do what the local promoters do here in Montreal,(don't know if it's done else where),but you can have the lottery system,which is a week before tickets go on sale,fans are asked to go to the arena/stadium outlets,get a wristband with a number ,and on the day that tickets got on sale,they do a draw of a number.Let's they have give away 2000 wristbands and that number 133 is draw from the hat,then the next one in line is 134,135,136 ect..
all the way to 2000 and then going back to number 1 to 133.it works very well and it does discourage the scalpers for trying by the draw of the luck.

Ever heard of this invention called the telephone? There's no way anyone is going to a venue only selling from the ticket window sell, it's too much of a safety issue. Plus why would you want to screw over true out of town fans?

Lotteries suck, we all learned that last tour.

The only way to stop scalping is to actually attack it legally, otherwise there's no way around it. You can limit so many to credit card, you can do pre-sales, you can only sell to people who's middle name starts with an 'R'...regardless there will be a way around it.

Maybe you sell based on the "how cool are you method". The day before you take a timed test; testing your knowledge on the band, how long you've been a fan etc... based on your ranking determines how close and how much. So if you're a new fan and only know 2 songs off the new album, you pay $100 for nosebleeds, and if you're a superfan that knows the bands shoe sizes, you pay $10 for close up can actually see their shoes seats.

Sounds simple.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
The only way to stop scalping is to actually attack it legally, otherwise there's no way around it.

It's already illegal in many states, and it still goes on. The only way to stop any sale of anything is for people not to buy what's being sold. As long as there's a market for the product, it will be sold whether it's legal or not.

martha said:

It's already illegal in many states, and it still goes on. The only way to stop any sale of anything is for people not to buy what's being sold. As long as there's a market for the product, it will be sold whether it's legal or not.

Well I meant brokers, they are the real issue for they have the resources, and for the most part they are legal.

martha said:

Yep. Prohibition and "the war on drugs" should have taught us that.

I do have a sure-fire method for avoiding scalpers though -- never see a popular band in concert. :D

(hey, I didn't say it was a good solution! :wink: )

martha said:

Yeah, but making them illegal will only dent the problem. Biting the bullet and not buying from them will go farther.

You think so? Dealers buy huge chunks of tickets at a time, do you really think there are that many underground scalpers that have access to the resources to do that... maybe so.

But I'm not sure that those that use dealers on a regular basis are the kind that really care if they are cheating others...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You think so?

In the long run, yes. The guy I sat next to at this last Springsteen show said he paid $25 under face for his ticket and there were many tickets still available.

Removing the market is the only real way to stop it. You can make it illegal all you want, and that will make it harder to buy and sell, but it won't eliminate it.

I used to get all upset about scalping tickets, but have backed off the stance. To me there is no difference between scalpers, brokers, joe schmo on stubhub, etc - they provide me means to get tickets. If I want it that badly, then I'll pay what I feel is reasonable. I've also sold tickets before which has helped lower the cost for my ticket. I don't feel bad about it or think that it makes me a bad person.

Back
Top Bottom