Scale of 1-10 how would you rate U2's 2006.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fna692002

The Fly
A 1 is horrid, bad and it sucked and a 10 would be awesome, and amazing.

I'd give them a 7. We got ALOT of stuff. From U2 by U2, to Zootv, to 18singles. They piled on the new releases in the fall and gave a nice start to the new year by sweeping the Grammys. We got two new songs, that really no one expected, and yes they did release another comp album, but I myself think it's nice to have a one disc GH u2 cd. The only downside for me was the whole One remake , but all in all a good year and can't wait for 07 and hopefully a new album:drool:

5. Starting from 10, I take off the entire ten for all the shitty stuff: One with Mary J. Blige, Saints with Green Day, releasing ZooTV instead of something good like a complete Red Rocks, and a needless compilation with a poor tracklisting even for its intended purpose. But then the band crawls its way back up to 5 due to the quality of the concerts I saw, especially thanks to One Tree Hill. Would be further up to 7 or 8 if they'd managed to retain earlier Vertigo songs such as The Electric Co. and Gloria rather than morphing somewhat into a greatest hits tour.

I give them a 10 , come on ?
5 Grammy's , R&R hall Of Fame , and a SOLD OUT world tour !!!
I really love Bomb .

January- 8...not much going on
Febuary- 10000000000...Grammys, South American tour...great month
March- 1 Edges little girl (we think) gets sick :sad:
April- 9 two words....Adam engaged
May- 7 Bono's month...introduces RED...goes to Africa...gets public again
June- 8 U2 ipod comes back, U2 tower announced, ZOO TV dvd announced
July- 10 studio work confirmed, beach clips, Zooropa goes crazy! TOUR DATES ANNOUNCED!!!
August- 5 People start getting bitchy about U2's taxes, but Joshua Tree gets recognition in polls again
September- 10 U2 gets with Green Day, Saints Are Coming, Edge gets his month, U2 by U2 comes out
October- 7 U2 pissed with Island, leaves, Bono launched RED officially, and a little legal issue with a hat
November- 8 U2 releases a "greatest hits" nobody really seems to think of it well...and then...BOOM! THE TOUR IS BACKKKKKK!!!
December- 2000000 "See you soon"

The couple new songs (as well as the beach clips) made me happy. ZooTV was great too, as I had never seen it.

If U218 had been a best of live compilation (UABRS/R&H), I'd probably give them a 9 or 10.

they've been really relevant on the music scene with zootv, u218 (AND MILAN!! DROOOOL), the beach clips, the saints are coming performance for New Orleans, their songs being used for the WORLD CUP, AND their behemoth book!
=)

i subtract one point due to the lame attempt at attracting young people's attention by means of the green day collaboration, disguising it as pure charity.

Chizip said:

I'm glad someone finally gave a rating below mine. I was starting to look conspicuous there. :wink:

waynetravis said:

Because they came to England and i got a chance to finally see them :bow: :bow:

In 2006? :eyebrow:

It would be higher but the tax thing really hurt their credibility. I think it's going to come back to haunt them. That's 1.5 off right there.

Likewise, I think they should have been more clear with fans about rescheduling the tour dates. Bono should never have misled people into thinking it would come sooner rather than later. That's a half point.

Mary J. Blige is also a half point -- although I'll admit I finally understood the lyrics once she sang it as a "you m-f" treatise.

On the flip side, Saints is a classic, Edge did so much good work for New Orleans, the book is great fun, and Bono and Brian Williams in Africa resonated among people who might never have been exposed to U2 (like my parents who finally understand what I've been talking about.) Plus the joy they brought to all our friends in the Pacific, Mexico and South America.

One of the most disappointing years of the band´s history. It´s actually the year I started to doubt the band for the first time.
Why?

- the Mary J Blige fiasco (the most embarassing moment in U2´s history by far)
- completely pointless best of compilation
- a bad collaboration with that Green Day disaster

4 points because of:

- One Tree Hill (beautiful)
- the new version of Kite
- Walk On full band with an extended Edge solo
- Rockin´in the Free World with Pearl Jam

Last edited:
:heart: Mary J. Blige One version :heart: :up:

The Vertigo tour being wrapped up :up:

Kite :up: And we get it on an official CD :up:

One Tree Hill :up:

Window in The Skies :up:

No full Milan :down:

The Green Day piece of rubbish and superfluous greatest hits compilation :down:

did you people see the greatest hits cd didnt even crack the top 10 in the US, and fell out of the top 20 in the second week?

yikes, whens the last time that happened to a U2 album?

biggest flop since October?

Last edited:
U2Man said:

i subtract one point due to the lame attempt at attracting young people's attention by means of the green day collaboration, disguising it as pure charity.

Well all proceeds did go to MR, but your right about it's main goal. It got the kids attention, but when kids say " GD is singing with the Ipod band " you just want to shoot yourself.

Yes, last two albums sold because no young people cared about the band anymore.

recently I feel U2 has more young fans than old. Alot of adults I know can't stand them, but say "my daughter/son loves them". Anyways back on topic...

U2:18
While it's good to have some new music to bridge the gap until the new album, the Milan songs are the one thing that saves this from being a complete disaster. I understand contract obligations must be fulfiled but don't promote this as "definitive collection" when nothing from 4 albums made the cut. 5/10.

U2 by U2
I haven't read this so I can't say.

Zoo TV DVD
9/10, would be a 10 if instead of documentaries and Sellafield songs we'd get songs from indoor shows and US stadiums.

Last legs of Vertigo
8/10, as with Lovetown this felt like a big party for the band. Minus points for dropout on Bomb songs (to be honest, they played less since leg 3) and especially not playing LAPOE a few times, but well done on premiering WITS, Saints and of course the new Kite and One tree hill, plus new version of Desire and Angel of Harlem with harmonica.

Wasn't MJB One done in 2005? I don't mind the new version, except that maybe instead of covering a U2 song they could have written a new song together, like other U2 collaborations.

Last edited:
Window in the skies: +2
The Saints are Coming: +1
One with Mary J Blige: -1
Best of Compilation: -4 due to tracklist skipping 4 albums.
U2 by U2: +1
One Tree Hill live: +1
Kite live: +1
Mothers of the Disapeared live: +1
U218 Videos: +1
U218 Milan: +2
Not playing Original of the Species 5th leg: -1
Eze Beach Clips: +1
Not playing anything from Pop 5th leg:-1
Angel of Harlem and Desire coming back: +1 (together)
Love is Blindness live: +1
Bono's voice 5th leg:+1
Their families ARE healthy:+1
They're going back into the studio with Rick Rubin to get back to work!: +3

I guess I really don't have a lot to complain about!

Last edited:
I'd give them an 8. They gave us ATYCLB, their third masterpiece, as well as two fantastic world tours. But at the same time they also gave us A disappointing album (for me), and a couple shitty compilations and collaborations. But overall a great decade so far.

Back
Top Bottom