Scale of 1-10 how would you rate U2's 2006.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lancemc said:
I'd give them an 8. They gave us ATYCLB, their third masterpiece, as well as two fantastic world tours. But at the same time they also gave us A disappointing album (for me), and a couple shitty compilations and collaborations. But overall a great decade so far.

I meant just 2006.lol........but yes it is a great decade for U2 so far.

fna692002 said:

I meant just 2006.lol........but yes it is a great decade for U2 so far.

Oh, haha. Yeah, whoops. :wink: I guess I read it as U2's 2000s or something like that. Welllllll, just 2006?

I'd give that a 6. We got a good book, a not so good compilation, a great final leg of the Vertigo Tour, and mediocre Greenday collaboration, and a very good single. So, a 6. Maybe 6.5. Yeah. :yes:

Wow, Green Day backlash!

I don't get it -- what so bad about teaming up with a hot younger band? After all, the Stones can barely walk, Bruce plays to half-filled houses on occasion, the Who can't draw an audience younger than 50. Do we want U2 to end up like them, or to appeal to new fans?

For a non new album release year?

I'd give it an 11.

3 DVD's
2 new Songs
Beach Clips
Resumption of tour
A double live album
Getting Rubin as producer of their next album, and ACTUALLY WORKING ON SAID ALBUM
"Love U2" (from the U2 iPod)
The U2 by U2 book.

I don't know if there's ever been such a prolific year for us consumers when there hasn't been a new studio album released.

silvrlvr said:
Wow, Green Day backlash!

I don't get it -- what so bad about teaming up with a hot younger band? After all, the Stones can barely walk, Bruce plays to half-filled houses on occasion, the Who can't draw an audience younger than 50. Do we want U2 to end up like them, or to appeal to new fans?

Absolutlely nothing! The plan was to expose U2 to more of a younger fanbase, and it worked. Most GD fans were interested and the video was everywhere. The song stayed in the top 40 of Itunes downloads for wks. and it gave the band a hot 100 hit.

The thing I didnt like was this was supposed to be a charity single, yet it "suprisingly" wound up as the first single for a U2 GH compilation. Granted all proceeds go to MR, but still to some now it looks like U2 were just using this GD thing as a interest grabber for the 18 Singles disk, not that its a bad thing, just takes away its sole purpose.

Exactly how much younger are GD? They're not exactly young kids on the block themselves...if U2 wanted a younger fanbase, they'd shooting videos full of bling bling, babes and fast cars and collaborating with 50 Cent and the like and using producers like Timbaland or N.E.R.D.

I think U2's fanbase is doing just fine, and I don't think a collaboration with a younger artists will suddenly increase it. It's the die hards that keep up your popularity.

How many MJB fans do you think will get into U2 because they collaborated with her?
Having seen the GD fans reaction on the news on the collaboration, I somehow doubt their fans are about to rush the stores for U2 albums. I don't remember Saints being hyped as the GH single, but always the charity song for MR. (the video seems to support this too)

U2girl said:
Exactly how much younger are GD? They're not exactly young kids on the block themselves...if U2 wanted a younger fanbase, they'd shooting videos full of bling bling, babes and fast cars and collaborating with 50 Cent and the like and using producers like Timbaland or N.E.R.D.

I think U2's fanbase is doing just fine, and I don't think a collaboration with a younger artists will suddenly increase it. It's the die hards that keep up your popularity.

How many MJB fans do you think will get into U2 because they collaborated with her?
Having seen the GD fans reaction on the news on the collaboration, I somehow doubt their fans are about to rush the stores for U2 albums. I don't remember Saints being hyped as the GH single, but always the charity song for MR. (the video seems to support this too)

likewise with U2 fans, how many rush to buy a GD album, but most will listen to Saints because U2 is in it, vise versa with GD fans, because of GD's involvment. Thats what the goal is.

That said, how many GD fans know about Edge's connection with MR vs U2 fans that know about it? (and how many fans will "listen" and how many will "buy" the single?)

U2girl said:
That said, how many GD fans know about Edge's connection with MR vs U2 fans that know about it? (and how many fans will "listen" and how many will "buy" the single?)

Well looking at how well it did on the Itunes charts, I'd say many, and that was just the live version.

Popular singles get downloaded a lot. But the live version isn't the one being donated to MR.

21 why .......

:wink:

why.jpg

Man for My 1st concert ever :drool: :drool: :drool:

And Whatta concert

The Premiere of Zooropa Material in Latin America
also The Premiere of First Time in a Stadium
The Premiere of Desire in the V tour
1st Time AIWIY closed a V show
1st Time in Ages u2 played Love Rescue me , Snippet but still
:wink:

And also 2006 had :

ZooTV DVD
U2 by U2 - And I still didn't put my hands -
WITS
Revamped Kite
The super return of OTH
Milan , not complete , but still - same of the book -

2006 is easily probably my best u2 year ever !

:drool:

Last edited:
The Good:
On the road
In the studio
Saints
ZooTV
Bono finally lost the hair

The Bad:
WITS as a possible indication of a borderline cheesy direction
Contractual compilation

The Summary:
Highly commercial but hardly creative year. U2 the Brand gets 10/10. U2 the Band get 5/10.

I know I will sound like a doofus for asking this, but these Beach Clips several of you are referring to, where can I find them and what are they about? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jmccuanu2 said:
I know I will sound like a doofus for asking this, but these Beach Clips several of you are referring to, where can I find them and what are they about? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Too bad don't have the link anymore , if the good people here can't find u , I can email u them after .......

It was on July , these beach clips were leaked from france , when u2 was spending some time there ..... Basically were 5 clips , though the last was actaully a Strokes sound ....... Anyway :

400 : Turned out to be the demo version of WITS

402: Called 'I believe' People call it a mix of lot of things , including a guitar line like Dirty Day or Hold Me Thrill me ......

403: Thank You For the day , It's also a song worked by Daniel Lanois , though it's different from the version he performed before , Basically it's guitar/keys/vocals with very low hidden drums

404: All My Life , full band song like 402 , And it actually sounds complete , People say it recalls Walk On , and There are 2 great , the 1st one is fantastic solos of Edge , If goes on like this on album , It's gonna Edge's biggest studio solo

Last edited:
WITS and Green Day collaboration thumbs up for new material

Greatest hits compilation and pandering to the fan base thumbs down

Too bad don't have the link anymore , if the good people here can't find u , I can email u them after .......

It was on July , these beach clips were leaked from france , when u2 was spending some time there ..... Basically were 5 clips , though the last was actaully a Strokes sound ....... Anyway :

400 : Turned out to be the demo version of WITS

402: Called 'I believe' People call it a mix of lot of things , including a guitar line like Dirty Day or Hold Me Thrill me ......

403: Thank You For the day , It's also a song worked by Daniel Lanois , though it's different from the version he performed before , Basically it's guitar/keys/vocals with very low hidden drums

404: All My Life , full band song like 402 , And it actually sounds complete , People say it recalls Walk On , and There are 2 great , the 1st one is fantastic solos of Edge , If goes on like this on album , It's gonna Edge's biggest studio solo

Thanks very much, J_NP!! Maybe I can stumble across them and get a chance to see them. I appreciate the info!

fna692002 said:

Absolutlely nothing! The plan was to expose U2 to more of a younger fanbase, and it worked. Most GD fans were interested and the video was everywhere. The song stayed in the top 40 of Itunes downloads for wks. and it gave the band a hot 100 hit.

The thing I didnt like was this was supposed to be a charity single, yet it "suprisingly" wound up as the first single for a U2 GH compilation. Granted all proceeds go to MR, but still to some now it looks like U2 were just using this GD thing as a interest grabber for the 18 Singles disk, not that its a bad thing, just takes away its sole purpose.

I see it as an "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine" kind of thing. The first wave of attention for Saints was MR connected, and yes, it ended up being one of the drawing cards for U218. But everybody got something out of it: MR gets cash and attention, U218 gets fresh material to give us a reason to buy it.

Re the age question, I believe the GD boys are all about 10-12 years younger than U2 (Billie is in his early 30s.) More important, their audience skews young -- high school to college. My 15 year old nephew loves GD, whereas he is not at all interested in U2 except for the Vertigo song. However, he thought Saints was "cool" and knew about the MR connection.

The other thing to remember about GD is that like U2, they are a singles machine. Look how long they've milked American Idiot and how many hits they got out of it. That's a good partnership.

9/10

They get 9 because of Zoo TV DVD, Bono's short hair, The Saints Are Coming, WITS, U2 by U2, Kite and One Tree Hill on the Vertigo Tour, and the beach clips. They lose one point for only releasing 10 tracks from Milan and the lame U2:18 Singles tracklist.

9/10 - for finally making it back to Adelaide after 13 years and putting on a hell of show (here and in melbourne)!!!
The Saints is an awesome song, and I'm liking WITS more everytime I hear it.
Big *high 5* for U2byU2 - my favourite U2 book yet!!
It would have been 10/10 if i didn't have to take a point off for that AWFUL collaboration with Mary J Blige:yuck:
And a little minus for the track listing on U218 - the first time EVER I haven't bought an official release - I just can't see the point :(

...but as i said...The Vertigo tour was AWESOME...and makes up completely for those little indiscretions :wink:

Earnie Shavers said:
The Good:
On the road
In the studio
Saints
ZooTV
Bono finally lost the hair

The Bad:
WITS as a possible indication of a borderline cheesy direction
Contractual compilation

The Summary:
Highly commercial but hardly creative year. U2 the Brand gets 10/10. U2 the Band get 5/10.

Well put! That's pretty much how I feel.

Gotta disagree with you there. :slant:

I don't see anything wrong with the MJB collab. I thought it put a refreshing new spin on a classic.

Back
Top Bottom