SBS and NYD on Zoo TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salty72

The Fly
Does anyone know why the band decided to put SBS and NYD back into the set for the Zoo TV tour? I was curious if there was a reason. No song before Unf.Fire album was played during the arena tour, I was curious to know why they decided on adding those two songs.

This is just my opinion here, I haven't heard anything factual- but these 2 classic signature songs are about politically based injustice and perhaps fit in with what U2 was feeling at the time- ie Sarajevo, disillusionment, everything you know is wrong etc. Perhaps they didn't want to leave the pre-UF era out altogether and these songs seemed to 'fit'

onegin22 said:
wasn't I Will Follow played too?

Yeah, I know it was played in Wembley Stadium during the Zooropa tours.

Does anyone know if "Some Days Are Better Than Others" played?

salty72 said:
Does anyone know why the band decided to put SBS and NYD back into the set for the Zoo TV tour? I was curious if there was a reason. No song before Unf.Fire album was played during the arena tour, I was curious to know why they decided on adding those two songs.

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses never clicked well live. It didn't sound too good so U2 decided to ditch it. So there was an extra 4 minutes in the set to play with and they chose NYD.

During the first show, Bono said they didn't play SBS because they don't need the pop kids. Maybe he realized later on that he needed the pop kids, so he went back to playing SBS, but the Zoo TV version didn't have the encore-outro.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: SBS and NYD on Zoo TV

jick said:
During the first show, Bono said they didn't play SBS because they don't need the pop kids. Maybe he realized later on that he needed the pop kids, so he went back to playing SBS, but the Zoo TV version didn't have the encore-outro.

huh? I'm really confused.....

Yes they did play the outtro of the song during ZooTv.
The DC, East Rutherford and Montreal Shows I have include SBS with the Outtro. The latest ZooTv Bootleg I have with SBS is from Frankfurt 19930602 This version has no Outtro.

Oh and I totally loved the way WGRYWH sounded....I can't stop listening to just about every recording of it I have. Must have about 30 diff shows with it. However Bono did have trouble singing the 'Don't you loooook back' part. At times he used diff vocals, so it was'nt so hard to sing.
In the first few Zootv concerts WGRYWH had a big Guitar Solo and UTEOTW had no solo at the end.

zoopop said:

Yeah, I know it was played in Wembley Stadium during the Zooropa tours.

Does anyone know if "Some Days Are Better Than Others" played?

i'm pretty sure Zooropa, Babyface and Dirty Day, Lemon, Daddys Gonna Pay and Stay were the only songs played off zooropa during zoo tv

Maybe they were "back by popular demand" because so many fans, especially casual fans of radio hits, wanted to hear them.

Re: Re: SBS and NYD on Zoo TV

jick said:

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses never clicked well live. It didn't sound too good so U2 decided to ditch it. So there was an extra 4 minutes in the set to play with and they chose NYD.

Cheers,

J

The response you are referring to by Bono was in response to the MTV reporter asking why they didnt play anything from their albums prior to Unf. Fire. He said they would rather play the newer material. SBS was never mentioned specifically. Bono said, they just didnt feel like playing them at that point. Then said we may lose some of the POP kids as a result (by this I think he meant the mainstream fans that only go for the HITS) but that they dont need them.

During the Hershey rehearsals they asked Bono why they were playing SBS again after they had indicated before they would never play it again. He simply stated, we changed our minds and just think it sounds good. There was no political motivation behind it or as Mr. Cynical Jick would have you believe so they could sell tickets and get the pop kids back (which is a ridiculous statement). It was based on what they felt would flow well and what felt fresh to them at the time and New Years Day was also added for the same reason. SBS wasnt played at every Outside Broadcast show either. So they didnt feel it needed to be a staple (So Jick, I guess they lost those POP kid tickets at those shows! LOL). I guess the POP kids had to call the box office before the show to get the setlist before they would buy their tickets! To shoot another hole your theory, most of the Outside Broadcast shows had soldout or were very strong sellers prior to the Outside Broadcast tour even starting. So to say U2 changed the setlist to sell tickets is just ridiculous. U2 picks their setlist based on what they feel flows well and what they think will produce the best show. Using your criteria Jick with the reasoning behind dropping WGRYWH there would be no reason to drop Ultraviolet, which they did at alot of shows as Ultraviolet worked very well live, especially with the lighting effect. The reason they were dropped was simply to make room for some different songs. It wasnt because it didnt work well live. In fact, Edge's solo at the end of WGRYWH at indoor shows was one of the highlights of the 1st and 2nd legs.

Last edited:
bono_man2002 said:
i'm pretty sure Zooropa, Babyface and Dirty Day, Lemon, Daddys Gonna Pay and Stay were the only songs played off zooropa during zoo tv

Numb was also played. I believe snippets of The First Time have been done before, though I'm not 100% on that.

Back
Top Bottom