Save The Expos - Petition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holy John

Acrobat
The Expos will probably dissapear next year or the year after "because they don't give the MLB enough money". It is the Major Baseball who is sick, not the Expos. The players are earning too much money and little markets like Montreal can't have the big players (remember in '94, we probably would have won the Series, nah!!!... but since the lock out.............). If you don't know who the Expos are, just sign the petition and say you love them, that's it, that's all....
Selig, shut up... http://www.petitiononline.com/expos/petition.html

I know it's not like the big Yankees with all their big US $$$, but over here we look for the sport, not for the cash...

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : <A HREF="http://www.unesco.org

?Je" TARGET=_blank>www.unesco.org

?Je</A> suis le dernier homme. Contre tous, je me d?fendrai...?
"I am the last man. Against all, I shall defend myself..."
- 'Rhinoc?ros', Ionesco

Oh my god another Expos fan...
I'm not alone!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
And I felt like a star...

[This message has been edited by Dorian Gray (edited 12-04-2001).]

Good
smile.gif
But now, go sign the petition, got it ?
smile.gif

GO EXPOS !!! GO YOUPPI !!!! EXPOS, EXPOS, EXPOSSSSSS... NOT THE EX-POS...

cheers(yeah, some of you probably noticed it : I haven'T been here for a while.. I only returned to publicize the petition... cheeears)

------------------
United Nations : www.un.org - UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) : www.unicef.org
UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) : <A HREF="http://www.unesco.org

- 'Rhinoc?ros', Ionesco

Done and done....

never forget '81 - what almost was
and '94 - what could have been...

------------------

Man, this team hurt me way too many times. I stopped being passionately in love with them about a year ago. I supported them with my money, my time, my love, my girlfriends(I took them to the games) and they always came back and stabbed me. I even went on that rally 3 years ago.

Montreal Fickel Fans don't care anymore, we're the laughing stock of the North American sports scene, the goverment doesn't want to help and now the owners want to destroy us.

I've given up all hope. My dream was always to take my future kids to watch a baseball game in the new Downtown stadium, instead they're now bulding more damn condos.

I'll still sign the petition though.

I'm not a fan, but I signed.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

I'll sign if you give the Red Sox Vladimir Guerrero
biggrin.gif

------------------
God has got his phone off the hook, babe...Would he even pick up if he could?

not a baseball fan at all, in fact i hate it, but i don't want a peice of our national sporting heritage to die.

------------------
bottom line: U2 rules.

The Expos are a disgrace - they only averaged a few thousand fans per game. Players like Vladimer deserve to be in a better baseball city.

Baseball is a fantastic sport - and those who watched the World Series this year experienced the sustained tension that only baseball can provide...

Montreal obviously does not have what it takes to support a Major League Baseball team...it is too "American" for them...

Originally posted by Thermopylae:
The Expos are a disgrace - they only averaged a few thousand fans per game. Players like Vladimer deserve to be in a better baseball city.

Baseball is a fantastic sport - and those who watched the World Series this year experienced the sustained tension that only baseball can provide...

Montreal obviously does not have what it takes to support a Major League Baseball team...it is too "American" for them...

I have to totally disagree with you here. Montreal used to be a baseball city, back in the early days in Jarry Park they drew in full houses regularily.
I'll admit that the aside from the diehards there arent fans at the games.. but that does not mean they dont exist.
Why arent there more fans there? There are a number of reasons but it essentially boils down to stadium troubles and a consistently losing record (a result of lack of proper funding - a reaction to the very problem that this petition seeks to eliminate).

The problems with baseball lie not with the teams or the cities but with the bureaucrats and the profit hungry owners.. Baseball is simply no longer about the game...

and the too 'American' claim is unfounded. Minnesota faces the same problems.. are they going to lose their team because fans feel the sport is too American? ridiculous.

------------------

Originally posted by Thermopylae:

Perfect Idiotic Comment. Blame the montreal fans. Don't blame The owners, don't blame the players, don't blame the state of baseball's finances. Atlanta and Cleveland went through what were going through(3000 people a game) and look where they are now. Try to get your news from somewhere other than Jim Rome before making dumb comments like that.

Originally posted by Seconds:
Try to get your news from somewhere other than Jim Rome before making dumb comments like that.

Jim Rome is the biggest fucknut to ever associate himself with the sporting world. That's right-- f-u-c-k-n-u-t. His opinion holds absolutely no credibility in my mind. Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

HJ, good to see that there are Expo supporters out there. Somehow, in the clamor to save the Twins, people don't seem to want to save the Expos. I agree it's sad that the Expos are drawing so few fans, but the poor ownership is at least partially to blame for this. They were one of the best teams in the 80's, even leading into the 1994 strike. I don't think the owners can blame small market woes, as a city with a metro population of more than 3 million can hardly be considered small. Meanwhile, commisionner Bud "fucknut #2" Selig can't get up off his ass to save the game in a major area. It's really quite sad.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Well you are right - the Twins may be gone as well. And it does boil down to many things.

The "Montrealers" I have met seem to usually have a general dislike for American culture - sort of like the French. A much different attitude from the Toronto folks...

Neither is right or wrong - everyone can believe what they want. And I believe the Expos need to go
smile.gif

Poor Twins. (Born in Minneapolis.)
Damn, I only went to one game, I'm not a huge baseball fan, but uh...poor Twins none the less. I'll sign!

My friends and I have a yearly trip where we go up to Montreal for a few days each summer and catch a few ballgames, experience the local atmosphere, etc. It's always a blast, and thus I'm hoping that the Expos stick around.

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

I would generally support the underdog in times of distress, but I'm going to agree with major league baseball on the issue of dismembering the Expos.

Here's why: 1)They average just under 8,000 fans per game when the stadium holds close to 70,000. 2)They haven't had a significant winning record in over a decade and a half (I know this applies to several teams i.e. Milwakee and San Diego on occasion) 3)There are too many teams to being with. Perhaps they should've rethought creating the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and the Florida Marlins and the Colorado Rockies, but they exist and it's too late to throw them out when they have been successful in the attendance area and showed progess statisticall on the field.

Minnesota on the other hand doesn't deserve to be disessembled. That's crazy!

Well I just now noticed this thread, but I posted my thoughts on the matter in teh Lemonade stand version...

Originally posted by Danospano:
2)They haven't had a significant winning record in over a decade and a half

They were the top team in all the majors in 94'... on their way to the fall classic..

goddamn strike

------------------

Blaming the fans ? Fuck off man (don't take that personnaly, just a bit).

I - 8 000 fans per game : so what ? Is it about the numbers of fans or the sport in itself that counts ? We still have Youppi, nah...

2- The stadium is too big : No it's not. We got the Olympics in that Stadium, it's the most cool stadium in the world (ever saw a tower like that ? Ok, the roof may had problems, but we got the idea... this was the 70s anyways, we were all on the mush). Back in '94, 40 000 fans was the average for a week game and during the week-end we could get the 50 000 (we have a multi-fonctionnal stadium that can go from the simple 40 000 to 80 000 seats) seats for a baseball game.

3- It's not the culture over there : No, it's not as much as big as in the United States, but we're still light years ahead of you in hockey (where's the point in this comment anyways ?)

4- The fans, the fans and the fans : First of all, we were all deceived in '94 when the fucking players when on a strike to get more and more money. Montreal can't pay the big players who want their big money. Wether it's in hockey of baseball, when you play in this city, you play with your heart, the big pressure of the medias and fans is here. HEART, not MONEY... Guerrero, Vazquez, Cabrera, Stevens told it : they don't want to leave Montreal to play in another city cos they like the city, the fans, but they puclicly said : they hate the owners of the teams and the MLB owners.

Speaking of the owners, Loria and Samson, they only wanted to make money in taking this team away. Ok, Brochu wasn't that great, but he didn't had the choice to cut off. Loria is a motherfucker and I hope he kills the Marlins just like he killed the Expos.

And Selig.. get the fuckin' out of the earth. He only wants the money again, not the teams. He deals with Baseball as if he was the president of a corporation or a factory making hamers. He can't stand in front of the players and say "no" when they want more and more money. And the players can't deal with NORMAL and REAL life. They only want money. In '94, Montreal wasn't this great market, but we went in the Olympic Stadium to see them win and boooo the players with huge money in their pockets (same in hockey : Jagr, Lindros are always booed when they touch the puck). Also, Loria says absolutely no comment to the press of fans, except "yeah.." sometimes. When you come over here, as a president of the Expos (or any other teams), you must connect with the fans, get off the shadows of money. why should the fans adapt themselves to Loria ? Why Loria dosen' adapt the this city ?

Again, VIVA THE EXPOS, VIVA REAL SPORTS, VIVA BASEBALL AND VIVA HEART IN SPORTS... BOOOOOOOO THE MONEY-MAKERS OF SPORTS

At least, our stadium looks like a flying saucer and Youppi is Orange and half-dressed... ahhh, the good old days of mush lol... , nah...

------------------

- 'Rhinoc?ros', Ionesco

so many things wrong with baseball...

I don't want to see the Expos go, but until you can lift the anti-trust exemption MLB has, the player's union and owners in large markets will strangle the smaller markets owners, in fact they already have; it's impossible for a team like the Expos to compete when the Yankees have individual players being paid more than the entire Montreal team

early free agency and unlimited spending by certain owners has made half the teams in the league obsolete

but before you go hammering away at teams in the US with your holier-than-thou attitude, take a look at what Toronto has spent on players over the years... and consider that most hockey players in the NHL are from Canada, and routinely pass up playing "for the sport of it" to play on US teams

Oh, on a funnier note, you wanna see how much mush was around in the 70s ??? See a picture of the Montreal Olympic Stadium at :
http://www.exposdemontreal.com/aujeu/index.htm

I have to admit that the view at the top of the Tower is incredible. It's an architectural marvel to me, though a lot of Montrealers wonder what to do with this 'white elephant' (but the Parisians hates the Eiffel Tower for like 20 years, so.... one day, the Olympic Tower will be loved... I guess... heemmm).

WEEEEIIIIRRRRDDDDDD BUILDINGS.....

Now, we must improve the roof..

I guess we should put earth in it and plant flowers...
smile.gif
to remember the '70s..

You said to us : "Build a stadium-monument" and we built a penched Tower... you said "gave us a baseball team" and we dressed them as is they were a part of a Disney World cartoon... you said "give us a hockey team" and we won 24 stanley cups. I know, we're better in hockey. But the Rangers injured two of our important players (Audette nearly lost his hand on the ice... and it's real.. physically, he lost 2 liters of blood.. feckin' Rangers
smile.gif
.. nahhhhh )

------------------

- 'Rhinoc?ros', Ionesco

Originally posted by Foxxern:
Meanwhile, commisionner Bud "fucknut #2" Selig can't get up off his ass to save the game in a major area. It's really quite sad.

And to add insult to injury Selig was just given a vote of confidence from the owners. I hope someday all of baseball (my favorite sport) doesnt contract and disappear.

Originally posted by Holy John:
Blaming the fans ? Fuck off man (don't take that personnaly, just a bit).

I - 8 000 fans per game : so what ? Is it about the numbers of fans or the sport in itself that counts ?

You're letting your idealism get in the way of common sense. NO sports team can exist on such little support.

2- it's the most cool stadium in the world

Ummm..... Baltimore, Boston, New York, Cleveland, Chicago, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Texas, San Fran, Detroit, etc. all have better stadiums. Hell, John, it's not even the best stadium in Canada-- Skydome is.

Back in '94, 40 000 fans was the average for a week game and during the week-end we could get the 50 000

ROTFLMFAO-- Where do you get those numbers?

22,390 was your average in 1994. 10,000 BELOW league average!

The highest it ever was--28,650 in 1983!

UNACCEPTABLE!!!

check for yourself:
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/montattn.shtml

Baltimore, with it's shit team, had a "down" year at the gate. They only drew a little more than 3,000,000 fans, an avg of 38,600 per game. This in a town that can't be any bigger than Montreal. In fact, it's probably smaller.

3- but we're still light years ahead of you in hockey

Yes! Go Jets! Go Nordiques! GO GO GO-- to Phoenix and Colorado!!!

And Selig.. get the fuckin' out of the earth. He only wants the money again, not the teams. He deals with Baseball as if he was the president of a corporation or a factory making hamers.

To be successful, sports, as well as anything in entertainment, must be run as a business. Enough said.

He can't stand in front of the players and say "no" when they want more and more money.

That would be useless rhetoric in a free market system where the owners are willing to pay what the players want.

This is where the average fan loses sight of the big picture. The players get paid these millions because the owners want to WIN. They could care less if the team loses money (24 of 30 lost $ in 2001), because the team isn't their primary financial concern. ie--Steinbrenner is (or was ) a ship builder. the Yankees are his "toy" or "hobby". Peter Angelos of Baltimore made his millions in his law firm. He just wants to win (I only wish he'd figure out how). Most owners are not in sports to make money-- and the ones that are learn quickly to get out and do something else. The players are the benefactors of this system. They hold out for more because they know they'll get it. Would U2 play for $35 per ticket when they knew they could get $45-135??????

People like to rip Selig. Being the commish, he's a visible target. BUT--his team, the Brewers, are in a small market, so you would think he would have an agenda that favors the smaller markets. He's smart enought to know that all the revenue sharing in the world will not help some franchises. The NFL tried to create parity by instituting a salary cap. It might have worked to a degree, but at the end of the day, (with a few exceptions) the teams that were winners before the cap continue to win, and the losers continue to lose.

[This message has been edited by StarsnStripes (edited 12-05-2001).]

Originally posted by StarsnStripes:
People like to rip Selig. Being the commish, he's a visible target. BUT--his team, the Brewers, are in a small market, so you would think he would have an agenda that favors the smaller markets.

Just one note here. I'm not up on all the details, but the sentiment I've observed if you ask most Minnesotans, they would add that Selig's owning the team down the road, the absolutely worthless Brewers, and trying to cut the Twins is a conflict of interest. If the Twins go, guess where the nearest baseball team is? You got it. Milwaukee.

------------------
~I want to play the guitar very badly, and I do play the guitar very badly - Bono~

Take a virtual tour of U2's Dublin... Crzy4Bono's U2 page with some of Sula's Dublin pic's

Sula's Europe Pics

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
Just one note here. I'm not up on all the details, but the sentiment I've observed if you ask most Minnesotans, they would add that Selig's owning the team down the road, the absolutely worthless Brewers, and trying to cut the Twins is a conflict of interest. If the Twins go, guess where the nearest baseball team is? You got it. Milwaukee.

Point taken, but Bud's team already has a new stadium and is doing fairly well. I don't see the Twins as a threat. The Twins became a bigger target for contraction AFTER Minn/St. Paul declined to build a new facility. The Twins in a new park would be more of a threat to the Brewers than Twins "status quo".

Back
Top Bottom