SATS - New Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
New SATS mix on U2log.com

Not too sure if it's legit or not, but sounds like it probably is. It's ok I guess, gonna take me a while to decide.

Staring At The Sun-The New Version

Its available at u2log.com. Its taking a while to download though, so I haven't heard the whole thing yet. Seems nice though,with more backing vocals and the drums come in sooner at the beginning.:)

It's not as much of a change as I thought they'd do for this song. The quality of the mp3 isnt the best in my opinion so I cant totally judge it, but I do think it's an improvement over the album version.

I think its an improvement too, although like you said, the song hasn't been re-jigged as much as was thought. It seems like a different vocal take from Bono, too and I noticed they seemed to make certain vocals more soaring too. The ending is also a little better. I'd say it tops the album version and its very nicely produced. Does anyone know if the other re-workings will surface?

Wow!! If this is the version they had released, it would have destroyed the charts. The chorus has been given new life with Edge's backing falsetto (much like the live version from Popmart), and the sexy groove in the middle has been brought out with different production. I really don't think this is a different vocal take by Bono at all. It's just been fattened up with some harmony. If U2 released this as a single for the Best Of after 'The Hands That Built' I could see it becoming HUGE. But I may just be biased.

Woudl they put the same song out as a single though? It would be interesting to see what happend though...:) I just listened to the new SATS and the single mix of Pleas back to back, and withthis sort of production I think POP could have been a brilliant album, rather than the very good one it already is. I haven't heard the other POP singles, are they re-mixed too? (I'm referring to original singles not the re-done songs from the best-of):yes:

I like!

I really like the ending.

*can't wait for Discotheque, Numb, and Gone.

*oh yeah, and "The Hands That Built America."

It is really hard to say this without stepping on someone's toes around here, but Pop "remixed" would of been one of the most superior U2 albums ever. This new SATS version is quite better than the original. That being said, I still would be really suprised if this version made it as a new single. You have to remember, non-U2 savy people wouldn't hear the difference between the original and this version.

If this is any indication, then the new version of Gone should have elements of its live sound. This will surely be an incredible song (yes, it already is!). Maybe Gone can be a suprise single because it never was a single before. I could dig that! :D

2 for 2! That is all I have to say after hearing 2 "new" tracks off the Best Of.

Roland of Gilead said:
It is really hard to say this without stepping on someone's toes around here, but Pop "remixed" would of been one of the most superior U2 albums ever. This new SATS version is quite better than the original. (

I agree. Its very good as it is, but remixed Staring At the Sun, Please, Wake- Up Dead Man, Gone, Discotheque, Do you Feel Loved, Last Night.... If God Will Send..Mofo...all great tunes, and with good production that album would have been oneof their best.

Also, I think Gone re-mixed will be cool and they should put it out as a single.:)

Can't wait to hear it but the download is going too slow!!! Anyone has a faster link?

It's gonna take a few more listens, but I don't think I am sold on this new version of SATS. Production sounds great, I just don't know if I like the elements that have been emphasized. I think the bass is far too predominant in the song. It feels a little too bottom heavy. The verses sound good and I like Edge's backing vocal but all in all I can't say that it blows me away. that being said, Staring at the Sun has never been one of my favourite U2 songs. I've always loved it live but I find both this version and the original version are just a little too 'dressed up' for me.

My 2 cents.

Peace.

Not sure why everyone is so enthusiastic over this remix. It's rawer than the POP version but to the point of sounding under-produced. It's also less dynamic than the original, so it seems to meander more -- I find it downright sluggish at points.

It's okay, but I don't understand why they felt the need to remix it at all -- I thought it was a real tour-de-force on POP. Some of that album's tracks may have been poorly produced (Do You Feel Loved, for example) but not this one.

I definitely prefer this version, its more of that special u2 vibe to it, whereas the original was a little flat in my opinion.:)

Whats The Story? said:

I agree. Its very good as it is, but remixed Staring At the Sun, Please, Wake- Up Dead Man, Gone, Discotheque, Do you Feel Loved, Last Night.... If God Will Send..Mofo...all great tunes, and with good production that album would have been oneof their best.

Also, I think Gone re-mixed will be cool and they should put it out as a single.:)
I think what I like about this new version of SATS is that it is less cluttered. In many ways, I think Pop was actually *over* produced, not under-produced. And oddly enough, I think that because the version of 'Please' on Pop is actually more raw than the single re-mix, it's actually better than the single mix. It's one of several instances where they got it just right on Pop. (I also think 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' and 'Wake Up Dead Man' were done near to perfection.) 'Wake Up Dead Man' has sooo much going on in it, but it needs it - because as a "song," it is very sparse, almost too stripped down. That's why it took U2 so long to comlete it from the Zooropa sessions. There's this amazing opera or classical music in the background of it. You really have to listen carefully, probably on head-phones to pick it out. But even without picking it out, it really adds to the dimensions of the track, along with all the other re-verb and added noises. The song's got this kind of ghostly feel about it, like the sound of a dead wind through skeletal remains. Very eerie, actually. Try listening to it back to back with 'Beautiful Day'. Now there's a juxtaposition! Both songs are among the best things U2 have ever done.

As for the re-mixed 'Gone' being released as a single, I would LOVE that! It's a live favourite, and the band obviously loves it. I also agree that the remix will sound a lot like the live version, incorporating Edge's backgrounds higher in the mix. The live version of 'Gone' kind of reminds me of OK Computer era Radiohead. It's also got a bit of an eerie thing going on, especially during Edge's vocal segment.

Last edited:
I just heard it, and I think it is awesome, staring at the sun has always been one of my favorite u2 songs, and this remix only makes better an already awesome song!!

Michael Griffiths said:

I think what I like about this new version of SATS is that it is less cluttered. In many ways, I think Pop was actually *over* produced, not under-produced. And oddly enough, I think that because the version of 'Please' on Pop is actually more raw than the single re-mix, it's actually better than the single mix. It's one of several instances where they got it just right on Pop. (I also think 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' and 'Wake Up Dead Man' were done near to perfection.) 'Wake Up Dead Man' has sooo much going on in it, but it needs it - because as a "song," it is very sparse, almost too stripped down. That's why it took U2 so long to comlete it from the Zooropa sessions. There's this amazing opera or classical music in the background of it. You really have to listen carefully, probably on head-phones to pick it out. But even without picking it out, it really adds to the dimensions of the track, along with all the other re-verb and added noises. The song's got this kind of ghostly feel about it, like the sound of a dead wind through skeletal remains. Very eerie, actually. Try listening to it back to back with 'Beautiful Day'. Now there's a juxtaposition! Both songs are among the best things U2 have ever done.

As for the re-mixed 'Gone' being released as a single, I would LOVE that! It's a live favourite, and the band obviously loves it. I also agree that the remix will sound a lot like the live version, incorporating Edge's backgrounds higher in the mix. The live version of 'Gone' kind of reminds me of OK Computer era Radiohead. It's also got a bit of an eerie thing going on, especially during Edge's vocal segment.

I actually think the music on the single version of Please is a lot better, I really like those little flourishes of strings, and that ace guitar solo at the end is great, but the vocal is better on the album version. I'll listen out for that WUDM background stuff, like you I dig the ghostly atmosphere of the song but I still think it needed a little polish to be honest.:) 'Velvet Dress was really well-produced, the mood of the song shines through, in my opinion. Last Night On Earth, Do you Feel Loved would sound great with better production too...I can't wait to hear Gone and Discotheque.:up:

Michael Griffiths said:

I think what I like about this new version of SATS is that it is less cluttered. In many ways, I think Pop was actually *over* produced, not under-produced. And oddly enough, I think that because the version of 'Please' on Pop is actually more raw than the single re-mix, it's actually better than the single mix. It's one of several instances where they got it just right on Pop. (I also think 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' and 'Wake Up Dead Man' were done near to perfection.)

I think SATS on POP was great, and I prefer it to the new remix. The new remix seems to have a consistent synth type beat all the way through the song. I like the natural sound of the drums on the original better. It's nice to have a different version & it's interesting but I would definitely go with the orginal.

I agree with you on Please though. I like the POP version better than the single version. Listen to bass at the end. It's probably some of Adam's most intricate playing.

I only thought 2 tracks on POP should have been remixed & they both were. Gone-which I think we all agree will sound fantastic, it is so much better live & Last Night On Earth-which was remixed rawer on the single with heaver guitars, but check out the live version on the Elevation single from Popmart Mexico. That version really kicks the song into the stratosphere. I can't imagine what Discotheque is going to sound like.

I just have to say that Gone IS my favorite U2 song... EVER! and I am so pumped to hear how that song sounds re-mixed. I think that it was a great idea to remix the POP songs now. Especialy during this current high that U2 are on.

Will we ever hear all the POP songs re-mixed though? Or are the three re-mixes on the Best-Of the closest we'll get?

Cask said:
Can't wait to hear it but the download is going too slow!!! Anyone has a faster link?

I just uploaded it to my server space- this should be faster:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~rschinde/SATS(NewMix).mp3

(Just do right click save as.)

*DoctorWho Here... I corrected the link above - it works, but there was a typo (SAT instead of SATS). I caught this when I tried to download the file and it didn't work. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats The Story? said:
Will we ever hear all the POP songs re-mixed though? Or are the three re-mixes on the Best-Of the closest we'll get?

Last Night On Earth, IGWSA & Please were all remixed as singles. Plus there are a gazillion club mixes of Discotheque. There are also club mixes of MOFO, SATS, LNOE & IGWSA...there may be more, but that's all i can think of. :confused:

Yeah, thanks, I mean I've heard about all those re-mixes, but did Discotheque get a straight re-mix without being a dance re-mix if you get my meaning? And my question was do you think there will be new re-mixes done like the ones on the Best-Of?

Hey Giant Lemon!!!

I see you go to UofM.

Do you still go there?

I go there now maybe we should keep in touch on new U2 stuff so I can stay in the loop.

gherman@

I always thought SATS was rather sluggish -- could have been so much better than it was. This is a definite improvement, although the song itself is still a bit sluggish. I never liked the ending of the original -- too lazy sounding. This is improved with some effects, although I really wish they changed it more. But it keeps true to the original, which is a good thing, and bodes well for the rest of the remixes.

Mark Freedman said:
I always thought SATS was rather sluggish -- could have been so much better than it was. This is a definite improvement, although the song itself is still a bit sluggish. I never liked the ending of the original -- too lazy sounding. This is improved with some effects, although I really wish they changed it more. But it keeps true to the original, which is a good thing, and bodes well for the rest of the remixes.
I do know what you are saying Mark, and I do agree with you to a point. I think that some of the verses meander a bit - almost to the point that their sole purpose is to springboard the amazing chorus. I too wish that this new remix was changed a bit more - a brand new vocal by Bono would have been nice, too. Can you just imagine if he sang it with the passion of, say, 'Walk On'? Then it would really take flight.

To get back to the 'Please' discussion, I really wish that U2 turned this into a rock-opera song, much like they did with 'One' off the Miss Sarajevo single. I don't mean actually singing opera like Pavaratti or someone, but stretching it out more, adding more depth to it. A lot of songs wouldn't be able to take it, but a song like 'One' can (as U2 now play it that way) - and, I feel, a song such as 'Please' would also be able to benefit from it. Can you imagine what 'Please' would sound like with a full orchestra and Bono stretching it out into that marvelous tenor? It would resound someting much bigger, I can tell you that - and that would be a good thing, because 'Please' is a big song to start with.

I personally like this new mix of "Staring at the Sun". Sure, I was expecting and wanting a more spacey tripped-out version (ala Elevation) but this one sounds fresh and polished. You can hear Bono's excellent vocal and on the last chorus there is that choir like distortion on Bono and The Edge's vocals which makes it amazing. Also the "middle-8" is more distinct and and impressive.

As for "Please" - I prefer the album version over the single mix. The single mix, to me, sounds too pretty. "Please" just ain't no pretty song in my book.

-[z]-

Zoocifer said:
As for "Please" - I prefer the album version over the single mix. -[z]-

I agree...the album version has this sense of urgency that comes through loud and clear...I dig the single version for the guitar work, but I think the bass lines drive the song, and Adam's work in the album version far eclipses that of the single mix...

I haven't heard the new SATS mix (still debating in my head as to whether to download now or wait), but I loved the original...one of U2's best IMO.

Zoocifer said:
As for "Please" - I prefer the album version over the single mix. The single mix, to me, sounds too pretty. "Please" just ain't no pretty song in my book.

-[z]-
Exactly!! That's why I like the album version better, as well. 'Please' was never meant to have lush sounds; it was meant to be elegaic in the grittiest of ways - and to me, that includes an operatic style, and perhaps a symphany to boot!;)

Michael Griffiths said:

Can you imagine what 'Please' would sound like with a full orchestra and Bono stretching it out into that marvelous tenor? It would resound someting much bigger, I can tell you that - and that would be a good thing, because 'Please' is a big song to start with.

*drools

that would be waay too cool.

but then surely you agree with me or at least share my frustration that on the elevation tour they destroyed the song by playing it accousitically. that song is all about the atmosphere and the way all three musicians come together. i mean adam's bass line is as good as it ever has been, mullens drumming is lovely, and edges guitar is as good as anything on pop.

man that is such a good song...

Okay, I will just get the comparison out of the way. I think I'll join the "I like the original better" club. Sorry, what can I say? I think the original is better.

But on it's own, I think the new version is nice. It's cool to hear different versions of song, to me this just sounds like a really good demo version of the song.

The thing missing from this song is the cool break after "I left in the duty free, she never really belonged to me." in the original.

Oh yeah, does it sound, to anyone else, like Bono re-sang and re-recorded the vocals for this song recently?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom