Salon article about the "Best of"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Call it revisionist history or selective remembering, but "1990-2000" has obviously been processed and manipulated through a massive earnestness filter.

Unfortunately I agree with this. I think that the reason why the Pop tunes were reworked, was because it was so harshly criticized. Personally I think the album is great
icon4.gif
The previous sentence was not meant to invoke or create any Pop or anti Pop arguments
icon4.gif

However, I think that the album and the tour was so blasted that they believed their own press, and felt it necessary to rework the album.

When I read a review like that, I can't help but wonder if the reviewer is above just listening to a record. I supposed I shouldn't criticize him and ask that we look at music subjectively. That would be hypocritical. I think that he makes good points. In fact, I'd say he makes points that are right on the money. Nevertheless, let the music tell the story, and don't try to analyze the reasoning.

If possible, please try to send cool articles like this one to me so I can post it in U2 News. Thanks! :wave:

daisybean said:

However, I think that the album and the tour was so blasted that they believed their own press, and felt it necessary to rework the album.

:up:

And unfortunately I agree with a lot of what the review said. I don't think that the Best-of is an accurate representation of U2 in the 90s, more like what U2 wish they had sounded like in the 90s were it no for some of their more "exotic" material.

The Best-of sounds like U2's post-ATYCLB version of the 90s, a distorted and somewhat dishonest version of the 90s, a tamer, more accessible version. It's a little bit as though they're trying to rewrite history, make us forget about the giant lemon and the horns. It's too bad that they seem to feel embarassed about that period, U2 in the 90s is definitely my fave U2 period....

I guess I can see where the author is coming from. One thing to remember though is that most Best Ofs are generally all about the big hits that would appeal to a casual listener, so I don't know whether comments like "rewriting history" are a tad too overblown. I mean, if you try and read into the first "Best Of", then according to it Boy and October have next to nothing to offer while Rattle'n'Hum is represented by -four- tracks. There's stuff on their 80s albums that's no less "experimental" than anything on Zooropa, but predictably enough it's the big hits that dominate the disk. Not much of a decade representation if you ask me.

If anything, I was impressed that the band included relative obscurities like Miss Sarajevo, Gone, UTEOTW and a decidedly non-top-40-sounding Numb when they could have put Who's Gonna Ride..., Walk On and Elevation instead. As for POP re-makes, I guess it all depends on which camp you belong to. Unlike the author, I do find some of POP's production lacking and I can see why the band would want to tinker with the songs.

As for the "earnestness filter", I wonder if she ever saw something Bono said during the POPMart conference (I'm rephrasing here):
"I'll let you on a little secret. We're still in the bleeding hearts club. Our music is still painfully, embarrasingly earnest. We just got really good at hiding that."

Last edited:
daisybean said:
I still think the band might just actually not like the production (god knows they're not allone, at least outside of Interference)

I think it's funny that the author makes it sound as a gripe that U2 managed to make this best of sounds coherent

I also think it's strange that he points out that stay was included ahead of Zooropa and Lemon only because of it's "lullaby"-qualities
Zooropa wasn't even a single
and although I love Lemon I can't say I miss it (since this best of - more than the first one - does seem to aim for a coherent feel)

what I'm basically saying is that it's very well possible that U2 decided on presenting their "best of 90's" this way because they feel it makes a more enjoyable album to listen to instead of their aspirations of being cowardly sell-outs
I think his facts originate from the way he wants to look at it
and I can't say that's a very positive way

Last edited:
though i disagree with parts of his story, i agree with most of it. in fact, if i were him, id probably write it like he did.

i do disagree about the zooropa mentions though. stay and the first time (and dont forget about numb!) were good selections, though ofcourse anything else would have been great too, since its a great album.

yup, i think that was a really good article.

It got to a point where I stopped caring because everyone's gripe about the album was the same: They didn't like the new mixes.

Every website review, every one's review here.

I subscribe to the U2 news digest from Yahoo (I think its an @U2 thing? maybe?) But anyway....the news pages have been filled with so many reviews of this album that I'd started skipping them, because they all said the same thing. This one actually had a different line and is the most accurate review, IMO.

And for the one who pointed out that Zooropa wasn't a single....neither was UTEOTW from this Best Of, nor Bad from the last. This is (supposedly) a Best Of, not a Greatest Hits. Just pointing out.... :wink:

Angell said:
And for the one who pointed out that Zooropa wasn't a single....neither was UTEOTW from this Best Of, nor Bad from the last. This is (supposedly) a Best Of, not a Greatest Hits. Just pointing out.... :wink:
that would be me
and my point wasn't that Stay should be on the best because it was a single not that Zooropa shouldn't be on there because it was a single
my point was that leaving the fact that Stay was a single out of the equation is presenting a purposefull negative view on the choices made by the band

I won't lose any sleep over this article though
I've read more negative reviews over here since U2 remixed some songs from POP
since almost none of the selfprofessed pop-adorers wants to see the remixes as a sign that the band doesn't love the way those songs were produced the first time as much as they do
obviously it's the band loosing their musical integrity

it's that kind of continuous negative perception re. this best of that irks me
I think I understand know how a lot of the 80's fans reacted to Achtung Baby

Back
Top Bottom