Salome vs. Holy Joe vs. Big Girls are Best vs. Fast Cars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1) Fast Cars - Commited a capital crime not releasing this on every copy of the BOMB. Why? Because it's one of the only good songs they recorded at that time. It's not good. It's amazing.

2) Holy Joe - The Garage Mix. If only for the "closer than anyone to everybody's wife" (or something like that) line. Great sexy, throwaway tune. U2 pulls some awesome shit when they relax and jam.

3) Salome - The Zooromancer Techno mix. I prefer this version. It's trancey. I played it at a couple of DJing gigs that I did for Neiman Marcus. Totally suits a fashion show.

4) Big Girls Are Best - Last place, yes, but still a raunchy good tune. Love the sexy mama section in the middle.

1. Holy Joe - (Garage) - deserves to be on an album, that said I wouldn't what Pop any other way....great song, fun to hear

2. Fast Cars - should have been on the album proper...new ground for U2

3. Salome - too many mixes of this song....the basic, stripped down version is only average

4. Big Girls Are Best - Interesting, if a little unremarkable. Seems a little unfinished to me. Could only ever be a b-side in it's officially released state.

I am so loving Fast Cars at the moment. I came to it pretty late since it wasn't available on the regular Bomb, I had to order the special edition, now I LOVE it so much, it's funny and deep at the same time, it should have been a regular song on the album.
I don't care too much about the other songs on that list. The one I would pay more attention to would be Holy Joe, I guess.

xana dew said:
A quick side question:

There was an Achtung Baby single which featured Salome, Lady with a Spinning Head and Where Did It All Go Wrong. Does anyone know what that single is? I'm trying to add it to my collection. Thanks.

Even Better Than The Real Thing.

Holy Joe and Salome tops

I like Xanax and Wine version of Fast Cars

Big Girls are Best needs more fine tuning

Big Girls Are Best was written about Ali when she was pregnant, the lyrics are tongue n cheeky.

I like:

Holy Joe
Salome
Big Girls are Best (the sexy vocals Bono has on this are :drool: )
Fast Cars

Fast Cars by a mile

Salome - not bad

The other two, I struggle to get through

Fast Cars gets my top nod. Would have been even better if Bono would have written more verses. Excellent musical ideas there.

Big Girls is too gimmicky for my tastes.

Holy Joe and Salome rank among my least favorite U2 songs. They are interesting as demos to ideas that were never completed entirely (especially the Salome/Zoo Station connection), but I don't consider them much more. I think playing Holy Joe at the Kmart thing was a pretty terrible idea.

JCOSTER said:
Big Girls Are Best was written about Ali when she was pregnant, the lyrics are tongue n cheeky.

Interesting. I always thought it was about U2's model friends - they are referred to as "the big girls" in U2BYU2. I like your version better - it probably enhances my appreciation of the song a bit, too.

Oh yeah. I probably would like Salome more if I hadn't heard a billion times on the studio outtake collection. They kept going over it and over it when it was obviously not going to click.

Back
Top Bottom