Salome all!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ElectricalVoice

Refugee
I have seen that there have been som talk about the Salome Outtakes, and i have been listening to my mp3's of them. I just have to say that i'm very sad that they never finished the song: "Wake up and take me down" or "She's gonna blow...". It's just such a great tune. I have found myself listening to "Wake up and..." at about 03:04 into the song. It's just so very U2 and edge that part, and i love it! I want that song to be finished.

And then some questions:

Is it possible to get a cd of the Salome Outtakes? Where? Is this also called Axtung Beibi? Are there any other Outtakes out there i could get? Can someone please explain? These are legal, or? How did they get out in the public?

Thx

There is a complete 3 disc set and a 7 disc set. The 7 disc has a bunch of drum loops and stuff that is rather uninteresting.

They are not legal. In fact they were stolen from Hansa studio in 1990 and surfaced on the bootleg market before Actung Baby came out (I remember listening to my vinyl copies at the time wondering if the new album would be like them or completely different). Principle and Island records clamped down hard on this one. They found the record plant in Germany that was pressing the bootleg copies and shut it down. Of course the damage was already done and they were already out there. I dont know if they ever figured out who it was that stole the tapes but I dont think they did.

Last edited:
typhoon said:

Well, they're legal to possess but not legal to sell.

No, they are illegal recordings obtained by illegal means, distributed illegally. Will they come after you for having them? NO

Does U2 care at this point? NO

Would they if demos from the new album surfaced? HELL YES

So if it is not ok with artist to have the material, it doesnt make it right just because you possess it and they wont do anything about it. I'am guilty of having the stuff myself. But I'am not fooling myself into thinking they are legal recordings. If they wanted us to have them, they would have released them officially.

If someone stole a painting from a museum and someone purchased that painting. Does it make it legal because it is in their possession? That may be a stretch, but when you think about it, you may get my point. The bottom line is there is nothing "legal" about any of them.

I'am not saying dont collect bootlegs either. I do it and will continue to. But to rationalize that they are by some means legal recordings just because you are not selling them is a misnomer. Is selling the stuff worse, definately IMO.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
If someone stole a painting from a museum and someone purchased that painting.
But suppose someone stole a painting from a museum and someone purchased a copy of that painting?

Thanks for all the answers, and i understand that they are illegal. But i thought they were released through propaganda or something...

What about the other questions i have... can someone help?

typhoon said:

But suppose someone stole a painting from a museum and someone purchased a copy of that painting?

Basically you would be purchasing contraband because the person selling is not licensed to do so. 95% of the people who collect bootlegs know they are illegal. Is most of it a big deal, no. But you are never going to convince me or most people that they are legal. Why? Because they are not. If Principle Management got a search warrant and came into your house, they could seize your bootlegs. Would they be able to do that if they were legal items?

Electrical Voice, I have the first pressed vinyl copies of the outtakes which are titled "U2 Rehearsals and New Versions" They are in black sleeves with gold and silver lettering, nothing fancy. There are two versions of this as well. One set is 6 vinyl LP records, the other is 8. Doubdt you will find those now. Those are the original bootlegs that surfaced where Principle shut down the plant that was pressing them. The first pressing of the outtakes to a bootleg CD was called "Salome, The Axtung Beibi Outtakes" it was on a bootleg label called "Jewels" it is a 3 disc set. It surfaced shortly after the Vinyl copies were stopped in 1991. You may be able to find a silver pressing of that one on Ebay or maybe in a used CD record store or import CD store that sells bootlegs. Over the years there have been condensed versions of them and different titled versions of them that have surfaced as bootlegs also. But the ones I listed are the originals and contain everything unedited. However, I dont think the 7 CDR set was ever pressed into silver CD's and made a bootleg. I could be wrong because I dont purchase bootlegs anymore so I'am not real familiar with what is out there currently in commercial boots. I only trade on CDR now.

Probebly the easiest thing to do is trade for a CDR copy of them. But I think if you want a silver CD set you can find them. Just may take some looking.

Back
Top Bottom