"Saints" full video

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Canadiens1160 said:
Nah, I love U2 or I wouldn't be on a message board full of U2 fans. It just amazes me again and again that when fans express an opinion that doesn't gush all over Bono and co, they are asked why on earth they're on a U2 message board :lol:

If everyone had a positive opinion about everything the band members do, then why would there even be a need for a message board?

As I said in my original post, I think it's a pretty good video, but the post-production CGI stuff comes off as very heavy-handed. It's not even a slag against U2, more the video's director, and how the news reel portions make the video look like a film school project from a college sophomore. Now, I'm expecting someone to quote this paragraph with something like, "OH, and I suppose youuuu could do better?" :lol:

Music videos have low budgets generally, so what do you expect?
It seems like there's a Bush Gestapo in play as well around here.

ntalwar said:

It seems like there's a Bush Gestapo in play as well around here.
It all sort of balances out into general chaos though :wink:
ntalwar said:

Music videos have low budgets generally, so what do you expect?
Ah, they could have used footage of the national guard coming in, FEMA's top-level goons, and, uh, the general drama of a crippling hurricane ripping apart the city.

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
Nah, I love U2 or I wouldn't be on a message board full of U2 fans. It just amazes me again and again that when fans express an opinion that doesn't gush all over Bono and co, they are asked why on earth they're on a U2 message board :lol:

If everyone had a positive opinion about everything the band members do, then why would there even be a need for a message board?

Are you sure you love U2? I don't question your right to your opinion, but that doesn't mean that because many fans agree with most (not all) choices Bono or U2 make, we're mindless.
I think it kind of makes sense we would identify with the message in their art form. That's how and why we became their fans in the first place.

Val said:

Are you sure you love U2? I don't question your right to your opinion, but that doesn't mean that because many fans agree with most (not all) choices Bono or U2 make, we're mindless.
I think it kind of makes sense we would identify with the message in their art form. That's how and why we became their fans in the first place.
Don't put words in my mouth, I didn't use the term 'sheep' at all nor do I condone it! :sad: I guess it seems like I'm ragging on the band a lot because, well, what else good can you post about U2 that hasn't already been posted? I love Achtung Baby, JT, ATYCLB, I spend 12 hours in -10 degree weather in a GA line, hell I occasionally actually enjoy listening to The Refugee. I kinda thought all those things are assumed though if we're all on an internet message board taking about what Bono did to his hair last week? :laugh:

Canadiens1160 said:
Ah, they could have used footage of the national guard coming in, FEMA's top-level goons...

Na - that was propaganda footage that people ate up then and would eat up again. That was mostly for show. The numerous planes are more of an exaggeration that hammer that point home.

Canadiens1160 said:
...hell I occasionally actually enjoy listening to The Refugee. ... :laugh:

Ok, now you made me laugh!
Its late. I'm going to sleep. Pleasant dreams to you and yours!

What's interesting about this video is it tells the truth... i remember watching all this horror on tv (fox, cnn, all the networks) and my father and I commented to each other about how much better the response would have been had national guard troops (who usually help out in local crises) not been in iraq. how cool would it have been if our military did the things in the video. oh yeah, about american idiot, it's just a little more obvious bush bashing than the stuff that u2 does. i agree that alot of kids who know absolutely nothing about politics and the political system listen to this stuff and form their opinions from it. it makes my job as a teacher much more difficult. i love the american idiot album by the way because there is alot of dark truth to it along with the bush bashing (which i don't always agree with). overall, i thought it was a good video with a really good message. it did take away from the orignal meaning of 'saints' that i thought when they performed it on monday night football. i like the meaning in the video better! btw, bono looks better with short hair now than long hair (up close at one of the shows, his hair looked like it was thinning a bit)

what a TERRIBLE video.

this whole idea was just awful to begin with though.

what are u2 even thinking anymore?

Zoomerang96 said:
what a TERRIBLE video.

this whole idea was just awful to begin with though.

what are u2 even thinking anymore?

:| why do you even post here anymore?

Originally posted by ntalwar
Na - that was propaganda footage that people ate up then and would eat up again. That was mostly for show. The numerous planes are more of an exaggeration that hammer that point home.

:up: admittingly, the CGI is a little cheesy, mostly because it's very obvious. I suppose with a bigger budget they could have done better, but in general I like the video and its message.

AtomicBono said:

:| why do you even post here anymore?

:up: admittingly, the CGI is a little cheesy, mostly because it's very obvious. I suppose with a bigger budget they could have done better, but in general I like the video and its message.

because i'm important to people here, and they demand my presence.

i find it laughable that someone such as yourself even dares to ask such a question to THE MOST IMPORTANT POSTER IN THE HISTORY OF INTERFERENCE.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:

Because they feel the need to write songs like American Idiot. Their intentions are obvious.

Regardless, the main reason I don't like U2 working with them is because their music sucks.

So, you're answering yes to my question?

Thanks...

zepher25 said:
i wonder if bush would have reacted differently if the disaster happened in a rich, predominantly white city....

katrina was a complex situation.

the idiocy ran rampant through fema, starting with its head who of course had no experience and was placed their by dubya because they were friends.

incompetence started with boy george and ran down the command.

Zoomerang96 said:

katrina was a complex situation.

the idiocy ran rampant through fema, starting with its head who of course had no experience and was placed their by dubya because they were friends.

incompetence started with boy george and ran down the command.

exactly

to say we didnt have enough resources to help the katrina victims because of the war in Iraq is silly, we had plenty of resources

the problem was incompotence, from the local level up to the federal level. everybody in a position of power fucked up.

the best example of this was the picture of all of those busses under water. a resource that was never used to get the people out of there. stupid.

Why all the "this is all Green Day's idea" talk?
It's not like U2 didn't have a say in choosing the director, and both bands probably okayed/watched the video before they released it.

Chizip said:

exactly

to say we didnt have enough resources to help the katrina victims because of the war in Iraq is silly, we had plenty of resources

the problem was incompotence, from the local level up to the federal level. everybody in a position of power fucked up.

the best example of this was the picture of all of those busses under water. a resource that was never used to get the people out of there. stupid.

"their" and "incompetence"

thanks for replying to my bit without destroying my horrid spelling errors.

and yes, i never even thought about the busses. it really is just common sense isn't it?

i dont care if people bash the war, as we've certainly fucked it up, but i think there is a very loose connection between the war and new orleans.

even if there was no war in iraq, i think we would have fucked katrina up in the exact same way. and now when you use the video to bash the war, you get people bickering about iraq instead of focusing on new orleans, which is a shame.

yep. regardless of whether you are for or against the war, bringing the iraq war into question here is silly. sure, the war costs alot, but it is only a tiny fraction of the total u.s. gdp. there were still plenty of resources available, but the priorities were wrong. i guess nobody expected such a situation to occur.

Chizip said:
i dont care if people bash the war, as we've certainly fucked it up, but i think there is a very loose connection between the war and new orleans.

even if there was no war in iraq, i think we would have fucked katrina up in the exact same way. and now when you use the video to bash the war, you get people bickering about iraq instead of focusing on new orleans, which is a shame.
maybe so, but as was said before if the national gaurd troops hadent been in iraq they would have been able to do their traditional duties of disaster releif

I love the song and I love the message that the video points out. Bush should've been more focused on New Orleans rather then being focused on the so called "War On Terror" that he got Little Johnny involved in and Tony Blair aswell. But I think alot of the comments on the video on YouTube's site are by people who barely listen to rock I think it is rap, hip hop, pop and r'n'b fans at their worst. They don't understand rock's cynical messages. All they want to hear are songs about sex, drugs, gangwars, guns and violence. They don't care about religion, politics and war.

Chizip said:

The Katrina screwup wasn't only about the first week, it's about the first year and the future as well. See Edge's interview where he cries at the end. He is frustrated and angry that nothing has been done in the 9th ward a year after Katrina. Iraq gets $10 billion a month or so while N.O. has been forgotten it seems. The message in the video is that of the forgotten people of New Orleans, and U2 is conveying it - i.e. if they can spend so much on Iraq, why can't they spend on their own people? I'm glad U2 is ruffling feathers with this video, because other approaches have not worked. As stated earlier, this is about a lot more than musical instruments.

It seems that among the Iraq fiasco, the horrid Katrina response, and the video, some people are most offended by the video. Unreal.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:

Now, read the lyrics for BTBS and tell me who's really trying to stir up crap with their message.

Stir up crap? Maybe they're just expressing their frustration about what they see in some Americans. Not all Americans, surely. I don't see anything in there saying that all Americans are "American idiots".

Yes, it's obvious what political leanings these "idiots" have, and it's obvious from your posts that you strongly disagree with their own political leanings.

They're frustrated with what they've seen, and they're writing about it. I suspect you only call that "stirring up crap" because you disagree with their viewpoint.

And as for the teens being influenced by a negative opinion of the country and/or some of its citizens, I'm sure there are plenty of teenage Toby Keith fans to even the scales. (Then again, not every teen is a mindless drone, automatically inhaling everything their pop idols say or sing about.)

(I think the only proper response to this post is a resounding "DUH." :wink: )

Last edited:
zepher25 said:

maybe so, but as was said before if the national gaurd troops hadent been in iraq they would have been able to do their traditional duties of disaster releif

Exactly. It's about priorities.

Plus, Iraq or not, it's been over a year since Katrina and how much was really done?

I wouldn't worry about typical 13, 14-year old MTV viewers (though I'm sure they have the brains to figure it out), the video is aiming for more than that.

Zoomerang96 said:

because i'm important to people here, and they demand my presence.

i find it laughable that someone such as yourself even dares to ask such a question to THE MOST IMPORTANT POSTER IN THE HISTORY OF INTERFERENCE.

my bad brah, I was unaware that you were numero uno around here :bow:

:wink:

Originally posted by zepher25

exactly. of course that's not the only issue, a lot of what chizip is saying is right, but there definitely were (and still are) a lot of National Guard troops in Iraq, troops that are supposed to be HERE to deal with disasters like Katrina

Yeah let's get it right here. The incompetence started VERY Locally with the city and state government who really sucked horribly. The buses are a glaringly obvious botch, but also the way in which the local and state goverment didn't listen to or ask for help until well after it was too late didn't help matters. Then FEMA screwed up pretty royally as well. But it was a natural DISASTER. It was something that hasn't happened before, and couldn't have been completely prepared for regardless. To put out this video over a year after the fact, is just piss poor. I love U2, and when I am able to funnel out Green Day's childish lyrics I like them too, but this video (not song), sucks. It was a horrible decision to do so long after the fact. If you want to do something for music rising, do something positive.

scottyT said:
But it was a natural DISASTER. It was something that hasn't happened before, and couldn't have been completely prepared for regardless.

But it could have been prepared for much better, both locally and nationally. and the National Guard is supposed to be around to deal with natural disasters, not fighting wars in other countries. that's why it's the National Guard. not the same as the army.

I do agree with you assessment of the local and state government though, definitely lots of issues there as well.

I'm not going to disagree about the National Guard completely, but they are also available for the type of duty they are doing overseas. It's a tough situation. But it should be learned from, not beaten to death as a means to sell music, or stay stuck in the past. We and more importantly the people of N.O. deserve something better than to be reminded, they should be inspired and supported.

Back
Top Bottom