Sailing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
I have a recording of U2 covering "Sailing' by Rod Stewart (I know, I know. Rod Stewart :barf: )

But my question is: why did U2 choose to cover this song? (Actually the song itself isn't bad. And U2 actually does a pretty decent job at a live cover). The recording is from Sept. 2, 1997, Murryfield Stadium, Scotland. It's the only time U2 ever played this song live.

In fact, the majority of the song is sung by the audience...at the beginning Bono says "Okay, let's rock!" Followed by "I wanna sing this tonight for...." *unintelligible mumbling* <--what does he say here? Why is the audience singing along so much?

Last edited:
What's wrong with Rod Stewart? He sang w/ the Faces, a kick-ass rock N roll band. His early solo stuff is great too. More than makes up for his current state.

His eary stuff was not bad. Actually, some good quality music there. But he sold out early and was too interested in acting like a 'star'. How many bad albums has he made? And he's admitted to it too! He's toned down quite a bit, granted. But every time I hear "Da ya think I'm sexy" is get cold chills.... :no:

Sailing = :up:

typhoon said:
Sounds like an Edge karaoke. Sure that it's Bono singing?

Actually, now that I listen to it, it MIGHT be Edge (would explain why it was only played once. Also, if you look at similar tracklisitings from the tour, songs like "macarena" were often played in this spot)

...what's an Edge karaoke?

At least it wasn't Christopher Cross' "Sailing". That would be really frightening.

Christopher%20Cross3.jpg

During Popmart, Edge would come to the B stage for SBS and another song that the audience would sing along to. It was usually a very 'popish' song that would be on karaoke. :)

Isn't Rod Stewart from Scotland? So maybe that is why they chose that song.

Although Rod Stewart was born in London his family are all Scottish and he considers himself to be a Scot. Its a very popular song in Scotland, thats why the crowd are singing it.

Back
Top Bottom