sad but true

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Favorite album: The Joshua Tree, simply because that's the first one of theirs I brought upon becoming a fan. Favorite era...if we're talking musically, that's a little tougher, 'cause I can find stuff I like about all of their eras (I could state my favorite in regards to looks, but this isn't PLEBA, so...:p).

Angela

My favorite point made so far: "we all love Pop because it was so RAW"....:huh:

Didn't Pop have Flood, Howie B. and Nellie Hooper producing? Those guys are raw?!?!?!?

Someone needs to look at the body of work of these producers and show me when the were raw, and then explain to me how Pop was raw. That statement just takes the cake.

Also, I love how people put down ATYCLB and HTDAAB because U2 have honed their songwriting skills and produce wonderful, fully realized material now. Maybe Pop sounds so raw because U2 didn't have time to finish it????:ohmy:

unnamed_streets said:

Agreed that U2 have always written some songs that were more pop than others! But never complete pop albums like these last 2. Does anything on atyclb or htdaab come close to the guitar leads in say Until The End Of The World or The Fly? Whatever guitar work these albums have, it's all repetitive and pretty simple or just made really loud in the mix (eg.: ABOY). Don't get me wrong, I like these 2 albums but they were definitely edgier before (from 1980 thru 1997).

Ah, so it's partly the guitar that is the problem with ATYCLB and "How to."

"Grace", sounds like something a gospel singer would do, not a pop singer, has nice bass lines, gives it a peaceful mood.

"Kite", is not pop, I dunno, I've never shed a tear over a pop song, Kite used to make me tear up a bit, the lyrics, I'd have it played at my funeral, it has that vibe to it.

"When I look at the World" and "Peace on Earth are pop? I suppose I have a completely different idea of what a pop song is.

Definitely not in my criteria for a pop song--
1. Jesus in the lyrics.
2. Names of people who actually died in a bombing.

----------------------------

I've not heard too many complaining about Adam's work on the new one, mostly :up: from reviewers.

Larry sounds great on the few live performances of the new songs I've heard.

Yahweh won't get released as a single, the name alone will have radio stations --:eyebrow: Yahweh, Jesus, not in pop songs. Unless it's Christian pop or some specific genre like that.

One Step Closer, it's kinda depressing at times, bit of a downer.

A Man & a Woman...too real of a love song to get played on "pop" radio. "I could never take a chance on losing love to find romance" ? It's not exactly, "hey baby lets go back to my place. "

City, too long to be a single, though some radio stations are playing the full song.

Miracle Drug, maybe.

Have you listened to "City" with the bass turned way up? I did in my car radio, had my foot against the speaker, I literally felt that song, especially the opening bass lines.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
Meanwhile U2 have been breaking new ground w/ the last 2 records. The Philly soul of Stuck. The 60's R&B of In A Little While, Edge sounding like Steve Cropper. The AM pop bliss of Wild Honey. The Glam stomp of LAPOE. The "Beatle-esque" Original of the Species. The Middle Eastern Fast Cars. All new for U2.

See... My argument awhile back that HTDAAB has a sound reminiscent of a combination of ATYCLB and Rattle & Hum instead of War and Achtung is vailid!!!

Back
Top Bottom