sad but true

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrBrau1 said:

The Sex Pistols reformed in the mid 1990's and Johnny Lydon made it very clear they did it for the $. Then he recorded a song for a Mountain Dew commercial.

The Clash have had several songs appear in car commercials.

The Foo Fighters (Nirvana relative) had their song "Next Year, used as the theme son for NBC sitcom "Ed." I've also seen numerous TV spots promoting the "Nirvana Boxset." Call now and Order!

My question about the Clash - did they even have a choice whether or not their songs appear in car commercials?

U2 have the rare privilege of controlling their master copies. That means they can decide where their music is played and for what purpose. 90 percent of artists do not have that privilege. Probably more like 95 percent. The record companies can pick and choose where these artists' music is played, and the artists have no say. It sucks, but it's the biz. U2 lucked out. Also - the Nirvana boxset was probably advertised by the record company. The record company probably paid for the commercial advertisements - in the end it IS their money going into pressing and distributing the boxset - they have a right to advertise. Simply advertising an album's existence is not comparable to the things being discussed in this thread. Though Nirvana DID play SNL. (But I think there is absolutely nothing WRONG with playing SNL. Many respectable, legendary artists play that show.) When U2 played TRL, I did cringe (even though the performance totally rocked).

-Miggy D

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Mike Patton??? The majority of the people in this forum don't even know who Mike Patton is. Yes he's talented but he hasn't brought shit to music in like 10 years.

The rest of your list is a joke. Commercials, TV spots, reunions, reality shows...

Someone's gotta do better than this.

10 years? What about Fantomas, Mr.Bungle and Tomahawk? Just because It's no on MTV doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
The Smiths and reunions? reality shows? commercials? nonsense.
Nirvana? I was talking about that period when Nirvana existed, so don't talk about Best Ofs realesed 10 years after Kurt's death..
What's wrong with Jane's Addiction's reunion? "Strays" was a great record, and the band was still Jane's Addiction. There was no sellout...

Even if your accusations were true, they're not, but let's say for a moment that they are. Even then these bands where a lot more indie and non-sellout then U2.
Sad but True.

Miggy D said:

My question about the Clash - did they even have a choice whether or not their songs appear in car commercials?

Even Velvet Underground's songs were used on commercial....without asking the band....
You think that Lou Reed would say "yes"?
Do you think that Joe Strummer would say "yes" ?

Marr said:

Even Velvet Underground's songs were used on commercial....without asking the band....

Apparently the ex members were involved in the ad for Jaguar and signed off on it-SELLOUTS

"sproule doesn't sound too worried about the Clash's credibility with its audience. As it happens, the only time a Clash song ever hit number one in the United Kingdom was in 1991, long after the band had split up, when ''Should I Stay Or Should I Go'' was lifted by its appearance in a Levi's ad. (The same song has lately been part of a Stolichnaya Citrona spot here.) After all, Sproule points out, Jaguar even submitted story boards to the band's former members through Sony Music. They signed off on the campaign, he adds, ''and they know their brand better than we do.''

http://robwalker.net/html_docs/clash.html

ramblin rose, I miss that commercial, too-I didn't get a chance to get it on tape :(.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Ok for everyone yelling 'sell out', show me exactly what U2 has sacrificed.

Also show me a band that hasn't, show me the model you'd like U2 to be. I'm interested.

:) :up:.

Originally posted by beLIEve
when Bono actually told Bill O'reilly to "shut-up"

He did?

Hahaha...:up: :bono: :D.

Liked the rest of your post, too, particularly the last part :up:.

Angela

Marr said:

10 years? What about Fantomas, Mr.Bungle and Tomahawk? Just because It's no on MTV doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
Fantomas is OK but the rest suck. Plus these bands are small and make little to know impact on music. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Marr said:

The Smiths and reunions? reality shows? commercials? nonsense.
Smiths 'How Soon is Now' was in a Nissan commercial.
Marr said:

Nirvana? I was talking about that period when Nirvana existed, so don't talk about Best Ofs realesed 10 years after Kurt's death..
It's still Nirvana, you don't go and change the rules because the lead singer offed himself.
Marr said:

What's wrong with Jane's Addiction's reunion? "Strays" was a great record, and the band was still Jane's Addiction. There was no sellout...
Reunions, Dave Navarro's reality show Jane's show up there, Perry Ferrell's "bests of" you name it.
Marr said:

Even if your accusations were true, they're not, but let's say for a moment that they are. Even then these bands where a lot more indie and non-sellout then U2.
Sad but True.
Well they've all sold out, all had short careers, and most of them haven't had the impact on music like U2. Sad but true.

Marr said:

Man, you're wrong again. I'm sorry the pedestals you've placed your heros on are all crashing down around you today.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

Apparently the ex members were involved in the ad for Jaguar and signed off on it-SELLOUTS

"sproule doesn't sound too worried about the Clash's credibility with its audience. As it happens, the only time a Clash song ever hit number one in the United Kingdom was in 1991, long after the band had split up, when ''Should I Stay Or Should I Go'' was lifted by its appearance in a Levi's ad. (The same song has lately been part of a Stolichnaya Citrona spot here.) After all, Sproule points out, Jaguar even submitted story boards to the band's former members through Sony Music. They signed off on the campaign, he adds, ''and they know their brand better than we do.''

http://robwalker.net/html_docs/clash.html

If dear Mr.Sproule says the truth, then they are sell-out!
But The Smiths, Nirvana,Jane's Addiction, Mike Patton-no.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

It's still Nirvana, you don't go and change the rules because the lead singer offed himself.

I think you do, because it's very possible that Cobain would have nixed the deal, or as an actively functioning unit they would not have made the same decision. And just what are the "rules" anyway? :wink:

Marr said:

If dear Mr.Sproule says the truth, then they are sell-out!
But The Smiths, Nirvana,Jane's Addiction, Mike Patton-no.
Janes Addiction?? you don't think don't think having a reality show on MTV is a sellout??

indra said:

I think you do, because it's very possible that Cobain would have nixed the deal, or as an actively functioning unit they would not have made the same decision. And just what are the "rules" anyway? :wink:

That's the whole point. These "rules" only exist in our heads. If you do this, if you do that then you are a sell out.

You only sell out when you are only making music to make money. If that's the driving force then what's the point.

But no one here can say or predict what Kurt would or wouldn't do.

Marr said:

Sex Pistols, Nirvana, Mike Patton, Jane's Addiction, The Clash, The Smiths....

Your list of hero's seem to be dwindling
Sex pistols-Mountain dew commercial
the Clash- Car commerical, Levis commercial
The Smiths Car Commerical
Janes Addiction-Dave has a reality show on MTV(!)

Bottom line is if you have a problem with what U2 is doing simply dont listen to them you have that choice. Is REMs new album good, no not really probably the worst theyve released so it deserves what its getting from critics. If you are so into the "indi snob" attitude I am sorry but U2 was never the band you should have been listening to in the first place.

Where is the crime in playing your song on TV?
Where is the crime in promoting your song because you think its good, and as an offshoot of that making money doing it?
Where is the crime in having your song played on the radio?
If it wasnt for TV or radio this website wouldnt exist because nobody would have heard about U2 if they didnt try damn hard to promote their material.

Complain all you want but this promotion is nothing new it is just on things that are seen by more people because U2 are more appealing to more people now then ever, not because they have changed but because they have been around a long time and long enough to get very prime time TV spots...What is so wrong with that?

I am sorry but comparing U2 to a band like The Smiths is comparing a Semi Truck to a Volvo. U2 has always had a much larger fanbase then any other band that is currently making music especially one that started within the last 20 years, so the rules they are playing by are slightly different then The Smiths, Radiohead, REM, Depeche Mode, The Cure and others.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Nirvana mime on TOTP in the early nineties? I'm sure I read that somewhere here when U2 played TOTP last year.

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

Your list of hero's seem to be dwindling
Sex pistols-Mountain dew commercial
the Clash- Car commerical, Levis commercial
The Smiths Car Commerical
Janes Addiction-Dave has a reality show on MTV(!)

Dave Navarro's reality show is a tragdy i agree. But as Jane's Addiction they habe never selled out. Now, when Jane's is gone, Dave can do what he wants.

The commercials?
C'mon most of the bands would never agree but they hace no choice.
The Smiths car commercial? What do you think?Has Morrissey agreeded? C'mon...

There's been a commercial of a radio station using "With Or Without You"....
The iPod commercial? even if they didn't get any money from Steve jobs, tell me would they do it, say, 9 years ago...?
No, because it's against THE RULES.
We need the rules, we need to have principles and values in music...
U2 come from punk rock, you know.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

That's the whole point. These "rules" only exist in our heads. If you do this, if you do that then you are a sell out.

You only sell out when you are only making music to make money. If that's the driving force then what's the point.

But no one here can say or predict what Kurt would or wouldn't do.

I know one thing... there was an MTV un-plugged special by Nirvana that was sold separately as a CD. A Nirvana best of 2-3 years ago and a box set, this past year... Nirvana, milking it? Something like that...

Yes, let's talk about car commercials...
Every single band has sold out and U2 are no different, is that so?
Well, I'm talking about music...
Did any of these band realesed such radio-friendly, poppy records like ATYCLB or HTDAAB ?

Marr said:

Dave Navarro's reality show is a tragdy i agree. But as Jane's Addiction they habe never selled out.
They showed up in the show. They've broke up got back together got Flea did MTV speacials about their reunion. Come on.

Marr said:

The commercials?
C'mon most of the bands would never agree but they hace no choice.
The Smiths car commercial? What do you think?Has Morrissey agreeded? C'mon...
Yes he did, he owns the rights to all lyrics. He had to.
Marr said:

There's been a commercial of a radio station using "With Or Without You"....
The iPod commercial? even if they didn't get any money from Steve jobs, tell me would they do it, say, 9 years ago...?
No, because it's against THE RULES.
We need the rules, we need to have principles and values in music...
U2 come from punk rock, you know.

Radio spots don't need permission. The iPod commercial was brilliant. U2 is doing something about music and the internet, instead of bitching and moaning about how people are stealing their music. U2 is embracing the future head on. That sounds like a great principle to me.

Marr said:
Did any of these band realesed such radio-friendly, poppy records like ATYCLB or HTDAAB ?
as far as Car commericals go, yes those bands did them-U2 has not.
As for the music, if you don't like it don't listen to it-It's simple really.
And I still can't believe that Kurt actually Mimed on TV-SELLOUT!

Marr said:

:rolleyes: So now that you realized all your bands 'sold out' you are changing the criteria?

They're making good music.

Where are the rest of the bands on your list? That's right they aren't making good music anymore.

Flying FuManchu said:
And what's wrong with radio-friendly and poppy records?

I can see there's no point to continue this discussion...
A bunch of cynics and conformists, accuse the whole world of selling-out while they're absolutly happy with their fav band doing poppy radio-friendly music...

They are only radio friendly for 1 reason dude its because U2 make those records and people want to hear them on the radio...this is no different then it has been through out U2s history I dont think Bomb or ATYCLB sound anything like anything else on the radio do you? If so please tell me why? If anything there is a lot of U2 "clone" type bands coming out now but not U2 cloning them.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:rolleyes: So now that you realized all your bands 'sold out' you are changing the criteria?

They're making good music.

Where are the rest of the bands on your list? That's right they aren't making good music anymore.

No, i am not chamning the criteria.
And Morrisseys albums are great....
Have you heard "You are the Quarry" ?

The Cure- Pictures Of You

HP Commercial

The Walkmen-We've Been Had

Saturn Commercial

The Von Bondies-C'mon, C'mon

Ford Commercial

Peter Gabriel-Big Time

Toyota Commercial

David Bowie- Too Many to count.

Radiohead-Songs on CSI.

Yahweh said:
They are only radio friendly for 1 reason dude its because U2 make those records and people want to hear them on the radio...this is no different then it has been through out U2s history I dont think Bomb or ATYCLB sound anything like anything else on the radio do you? If so please tell me why? If anything there is a lot of U2 "clone" type bands coming out now but not U2 cloning them.

sure...
write more songs like vertigo...
i mean, this song surely can change your life!
just listen to the lyrics!

I know 1 thing that is being lost here is that music has really 1 primary goal and it is for entertainment not changing lives. Your music can have a message in it but in the end if the song is not entertaining its useless.

Back
Top Bottom