running to stand still question....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e edge

The Fly
seven towers and one way out- what does it refer to (if anything), 'cause i've been thinking about it 4 some time lately and couldn't find the answer, but the bl**dy question doesn't want to get out of my head...

cheers, e.

i think it was a reference to high rises in ireland, like a city that was known for it's drug problem.

There was a group of seven buildings in Bono's area called Ballymena Seven Towers, an area in Dublin which is like the projects in the states. The drug use there is very widespread, and the one way out which he speaks of could be canning the habit, stopping the heroin, which the woman he sings about could not do.

Last edited:
For your visual pleasure....this pic was taken in 2001. You can see the 7 towers with the Dublin Airport in the background. Today only 3 of the 7 remain, as they have been demolished by the city....

fyjnq

Last edited:
Ive thought of that myself actually. Interesting to find that out.
This is Probably my favorite U2 songs as regards to lyrics.
Cry without weeping............................ect.

Though in Bono's usual way, there's another interpretation besides the intended:

Seven towers: seven sins

One Way Out: Jesus (according to the Gospels, the one and only path to heaven)

while stars' explanation is the one generally accepted as the "true" meaning of those lyrics, I really also like mwheelonh's
interpretation too! :wink:

That's the amazing thing with Bono's lyrics: they are so multilayered that they can mean different things to different people and still touch your heart. :hug:

And thanks, stars, for the pic - I never saw that one before of Ballymun.

GRACE FINDS BEAUTY IN EVERYTHING....:bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

starsgoblue said:
There was a group of seven buildings in Bono's area called Ballymena Seven Towers, an area in Dublin which is like the projects in the states. The drug use there is very widespread, and the one way out which he speaks of could be canning the habit, stopping the heroin, which the woman he sings about could not do.

yeah, that's it

In Croatia popular songs go like this:
I love you, your eyes are blue...
If you didn't get it, very stupid.
So, it's cool to have at least one band in the whole world, which i can use to escape from our music. That's why i love u2, because lyrics aren't lame,easy to uderstand and stupid.

Back
Top Bottom