Running to Stand Still: Joshua Tree vs. Zoo TV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miss becky

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
In honor of Joshua Tree's birthday, I was listening to the CD on the way to work. I got to thinking about these songs live, especially Running to Stand Still. Which live performance do you prefer? The piano of Joshua Tree, or the guitar of Zoo TV? The "still running" of Joshua Tree, or the "hallelujahs" of Zoo TV?

For me, of course, it's Zoo TV. What does everyone else think?

ZooTV by a long shot. The "hallelujahs" alone added so much more to the song.

Sken

The Zoo TV Edge's guitar is so soothing and intricate, great stuff it's the ultimate segue between Bullet and Streets

You forgot Lovetown Tour versions !!!!!!:(

Rotterdam 06-01-1990 is such a statement :shocked:

Still Running...Still Running.... ;)

If I had to choice between Zoo TV and Lovetown ( IMO, during this tour Running To Stand Still was played far better than Joshua Tree Tour ), I´d go with concert dates, I mean, Rotterdam 06-01-1990, Christchurch 04-11-1989, Sidney 27-11-1993, Dublin 28-08-1993, Dublin 31-12-1989 ( I really love that ending with Dirty Old Town ), etc

Peace :wave:

Lovetown all the way!

Zootv was good...but it got kind of boring after a zillion times. Lovetown version still gives me chills and i'm going on ten zillion :)

Rotterdam 06-01-1990 is such a statement

Is this the one with added lyrics? I would love to hear it if you'd be up for sending it to me: ellemarie@gmail.com

Without hearing that one, my favorite is Point Depot 31-12-1989. I love the intro, and the segue into Dirty Old Town.

Sken said:
ZooTV by a long shot. The "hallelujahs" alone added so much more to the song.

Sken

That's what makes me choose the Zoo TV version. I love those hallelujahs, Bono turning in slow circles, arms in the air... :drool:

I'm going with Joshua Tree/Lovetown. Whenever I listen to/watch ZooTV bootlegs, RTSS is the only song I skip over.

I personally think the Hallelujahs are awesome on ZooTV, but i also think the "still running" is great. The paino on the Rattle and Hum version for example is so beautiful and I think during ZooTV I guitar totally ruined the song.

Also, being that Bono sang through that headset during ZooTV, I think the vocals also sucked...too often there are "pops" because he wasn't controlling how close he sang to the mic. The quality just isn't the same as a regular microphone (another example is Popmart Bullet which also suffered vocally).

Rotterdam 06-01-1990 is an absolutely fuckin' amazing version.
So, it is Lovetown for me.

I love the Zoo version, Bono faking the heroin injection put the song in context for me, because I hadn't understood the song at first.

Viva la Zoo!

Zoo TV version. The hallelujahs make me cry everytime, they sound that good. And I prefer it with the guitar (which probably has something to do with the fact that I'm a guitarist), even though the piano from the JT era is beautiful too.

Zoo TV. I prefer the guitar over piano, and the hallelujahs are awesome.

Plus I just like Bono's 1992 voice better than his 1988 voice.

Lauren2554 said:

Without hearing that one, my favorite is Point Depot 31-12-1989. I love the intro, and the segue into Dirty Old Town.

This is definatly my favourite version of Running...

I somtimes think awesome Bono's theatrics on the Sydney video make people think that the ZooTV version is better than what it really is. The guitar is fine - but musically and emotionally the JT/Love versions are much better IMO.

But the Hellalalujahs do rule all....

Miggy D said:
Zoo TV. I prefer the guitar over piano, and the hallelujahs are awesome.

Plus I just like Bono's 1992 voice better than his 1988 voice.

Isn't that weird how he almost sounds TOTALLY differenct on every tour since Lovetown? Especially on RATTLE & HUM, U can hear he even sounds really different when he speaks....

I agree that the JT/Lovetown versions seem a little more "intimate". And Point Depot is excellent - "Well tonight, we're making you all Irish"

But, god, with that guitar and those hallelujahs... you really can't touch ZooTV.

Back
Top Bottom