Running To Stand Still

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the zoo tv version of this song is even better than the original version. the throbbing rhythm guitar and bono's hallejuahs are perfection.

One of my all time favorites!! I used to sing it at parties with my room mate on guitar.

The entire song is just brilliant. . .some of his best song writing!

I love the presentation during Zoo TV as well, Bono in his miltary outfit, walking the catwalk with the smoke rising.

Alle, alle. . . Alleluia.

my favourite version is from outside broadcast. the whole thing is worth checking out, it's amazing:

http://es.geocities.com/u2extremadura/index.html

click on the downloads section to get to the files. all you have to do is change the files from .txt to .mp3 and enjoy!

if the link doesn't work (the site is sketchy) let me know and i can e-mail it to ya.

Last edited:
How does one change it to .mp3? Just right click on rename and type it in? I'll definetly check it out.

I still one the ZooTV one though...if anyone's got it.

I also love Edge's guitar in this song....the twangs are wonderful.

dandy said:
my favourite version is from outside broadcast. the whole thing is worth checking out, it's amazing:

http://es.geocities.com/u2extremadura/index.html

click on the downloads section to get to the files. all you have to do is change the files from .txt to .mp3 and enjoy!

if the link doesn't work (the site is sketchy) let me know and i can e-mail it to ya.

Thanks very cool :)

I have a few videos from that tour. . .I think the one from Nassau Colesium (NY) has soundboard quality sound. However, I have no idea how to copy the sound digitally to an MP3.

the first time I caught running to stand still was their live concert in Dublin december 31st 1989 it was broadcast live on bbc radio 1 I have loved it dearly from then espiically when they start breaking into dirty old town as well and the crowd join in.. its very emotional

Anyone read the story about the Bullet/Running/Streets combo in Flannagan's Bible?

It makes me go :sad:

Basically, they worked the three songs together on that tour, complemented by Bono's military attire, into a story about a friend who went into the army (vietnam?), became addicted to Heroin, etc.

I just found a nice version from New Year's Eve in Dublin in '89.....really nice version....wow.

I'm still trying to track down the Zoo TV....UnforgettableLemon it is touching isn't it? The way he acts it out on the video just blows me away.

Last edited:
*listened to it again... ahh sounds so much better on the comp than on my old creaky audio tape :D

starsgoblue said:
Hey Dandy....the mp3 doesn't work? Should I try downloading it from the email again perhaps? :scratch:

ah, sorry. i had to rip it with windows media player because i'm not on my own pooter... that's probably the problem. i resent you the original this time, hopefully it'll work for you.

I really like the version from Dublin (Zoo Europa). Bono really pushes his voice during the Hallelujah's. It's just at that threshold of falsetto without going over. Very stirring!

Speaking of which, did you guys check out the Running to Stand Still portion of the Making Of JT DVD? It showed how in just the first pass, Bono pretty much came up with about 60% of the lyrics. He's so prolific with coming up with touching and meaningful lyrics.

Best version without any doubt - Rotterdam January 6th 1990.
A 5:30 version with added lyrics and completely new, improved ending. Fantastic.

djerdap said:
Best version without any doubt - Rotterdam January 6th 1990.
A 5:30 version with added lyrics and completely new, improved ending. Fantastic.

100% agree with you !!!!!! :bow: That version is beautiful, fantastic, extraordinary, etc, etc. I love it, when you think the band is about to end the song, after Bono´s harmonica, the crowd sings loud "still running, still running", and the band keep the song with full instruments again !!! then Bono starts to sing some wonderful lines !!!! AWESOME

I really love, love this song. Is my favourite from the whole Joshua Tree. Also, unlike several live versions, this song is wonderful live, both on Joshua Tree, Lovetown and Zoo TV Tour.

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE U2 PLAY IT AGAIN !!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom